feeding advice for older tb

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
just taken on an older tb gelding. 22yr old 15.3h.
previously been a high level dressage schoolmaster and had 18 months off and now being brought back to hacking/light schooling. i'm planning just to let him chill and enjoy hacking out. he's had no soundness/health problems apart from occasional scabby skin and is still a lively ride.
he's currently okay ish weight wise. can clearly see ribs and hips and has a very dipped back, but to be fair i've known him since 14yr old and he's always had very dipped back. currently he's being fed, alfa a oil, baileys outshine, build up mix and previously was on a allen and paige weight gain mix on top.
surely i can simplfy things???? very even temprement so not too worried about high energy feeds.
ideas please!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
just taken on an older tb gelding. 22yr old 15.3h.
previously been a high level dressage schoolmaster and had 18 months off and now being brought back to hacking/light schooling. i'm planning just to let him chill and enjoy hacking out. he's had no soundness/health problems apart from occasional scabby skin and is still a lively ride.
he's currently okay ish weight wise. can clearly see ribs and hips and has a very dipped back, but to be fair i've known him since 14yr old and he's always had very dipped back. currently he's being fed, alfa a oil, baileys outshine, build up mix and previously was on a allen and paige weight gain mix on top.
surely i can simplfy things???? very even temprement so not too worried about high energy feeds.
ideas please!

Ad lib good quality hay or haylage?
Speedibeet or Kwikbeet are quite nice forages, and some linseed oil may help his skin, as well as putting condition on.
S :D

wilkinson1

Visit site
Allen and page veteran vitality - amazing stuff. All mine are on it now - oldies and younger ones. It's an all rounder and very palatable, especially for the older horse. X

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
the yard he's come from has very stalky long type grasses which he doesnt like too much so i think even tho our grass is shorter its richer and proper 'grass' so should suit him better. he'll live out in the summer suitably rugged. we have enough grass that none of the current horses get hay or haylage in the summer and the fields are rotated monthly before they get sparse so wasnt planning to give him hay/haylage on top although i could always bring him in for some haylage if required??

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Good haylage, Blue Chip food balancer, a good chaff like D&H safe and sound, Kwick Beet. I got a horse a TB that looked emaciated in Febuary, that now looks the picture of health, if I could learn how to put bloody pictures on here I would, the before and after are amazing.

yep i have some kwick beet at the ready, did wonder why he wasn't on it already. def going to get him on that.
not too worried re the winter as our haylage is very good (too good!) but no one currently is fed haylage in summer as our grazing is average/above average so wasnt planning to feed haylage in summer but maybe i'll have to.

Chops

Visit site
My 21 YO 3/4 tb get hifi senior, d&h pasture mix and a join supplement plus haylage. She is still in work, competing and looking fab. I don't think you need to over complicate it. Remember, the horse needs mostly fibre. Why not give a couple of the feed manufacturers a call and see what they say. But just a word of advice, in my experience if I fed the amounts they suggest my horse would look like a hippo!

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
My 21 YO 3/4 tb get hifi senior, d&h pasture mix and a join supplement plus haylage. She is still in work, competing and looking fab. I don't think you need to over complicate it. Remember, the horse needs mostly fibre. Why not give a couple of the feed manufacturers a call and see what they say. But just a word of advice, in my experience if I fed the amounts they suggest my horse would look like a hippo!

ha ha! were a long long way from hippo status!!!!
there is no reason why this lovely gent wont go on to low level rc dressage if he gains weight and fitness and condition gradually and carefully. but i agree, the simpler the better!!!

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Dont disregard the Blue Chip Balancer, just brilliant.

ye i've heard/seen very good things about it. but, is the point of a balancer just to be fed when your feeding below the normal rations of hard feed/forage? in this case i probably would be feeding enough hard feed/forage?

RolyPolyPony

Visit site
I feed my 25year old wb x tb:
Allen and Page Veteran Vitality
A&P Calm and condition
Alfa A Oil
As much haylage as he can eat!

Once he is back up to a weight i am happy with i will slowly cut out the calm and condition and he'll go back to being on just the Veteran V and Alfa a oil. I find adding linseed oil to his feed has also helped with weight gain.

Derfette

Visit site
I feed my 20 year old arab Spillers Conditioning Fibre and Spillers Veteran Balancer. The fibre is great for maintaining condition without the excitability and it helps support the topline. I have the opposite problem, not letting him get too fat, so I've found the balancer is great as you only feed a very small amount each day which will contain all the necessary vitamins, minerals etc. to ensure the horse is getting everything they need. I started using these feeds towards the end of last year. Fred spent the winter out 24/7 and he's in as good condition, if not better now than he's ever been!!!

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
I feed my 25year old wb x tb:
Allen and Page Veteran Vitality
A&P Calm and condition
Alfa A Oil
As much haylage as he can eat!

Once he is back up to a weight i am happy with i will slowly cut out the calm and condition and he'll go back to being on just the Veteran V and Alfa a oil. I find adding linseed oil to his feed has also helped with weight gain.

calm and condition is a no go. wouldn't touch it. too sloppy i think!