Feeding advice for young warmblood please?

becca1305

Visit site
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice about feeding my turning 3yo WB filly. She's currently on adlib haylage overnight, is usually out grazing in the day (just done a silly so 7 days box rest for the dozy thing).

She has been being fed 1 handful chaff and 1 handful badminton hifibre nuggets am and pm, and daily recommended amount of suregrow which she has been doing well on. But, she's still growing upwards and has recently gone too ribby (I do keep her on the slim side of what I keep my older working horses, but she is too skinny now).

I would probably follow up with a call to a feed nutritionist but would like a starting point from suggestions on here as to what product or products other people feed and recommend :). Thanks for any suggestions :)

Spyda

Visit site
I'd keep it simple.

Scoop of bran.
Scoop of suregrow. - up it if she's losing weight.
Scoop of Apple chaff.

:D:D

Bran :eek: I'd not be recommending that for a young horse. Far better to avoid it altogether at this stage in her development; and don't simply 'up' the Suregrow as it'll end up pumping too much protein into her and isn't a product to induce weight gain in anycase.

When my WBxTB filly (now 16.3) was at the same stage as yours (ie. growth spurt and prone to more ribbyness than I'd prefer (even for a youngster)) I kept her on the recommended daily amount of balancer and just added Speedibeet or normal sugarbeet, plus Hi Fi. At this time of year mine was always a tad ribby but it's amazing how quickly they regain their cover once they quit the growth spurt. Fear not, if you are feeding her ad-lib forage and the correct amount of balancer - she will pick up again :)

becca1305

Visit site
Thanks Lintel, Ive got to admit I dont feed bran though :p. Interesting idea with the apple chaff though :)

Goldenstar - i like keeping her slim but she is too skinny now.

Spyda - that sounds exactly like mine :) and mine is pushing 17hh so similar size! Is the sugarbeet you use unmollassed? That sounds great :). She usually regains cover really quickly, but this time shes gone skinnier than normal and think she needs a bit of extra help but didnt want to over do it! Thanks :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Mine was very slim, skinny really at exactly this age.
I did rug her she was naked until then as think the cold meant that she was growing and keeping warm at the same time.
by the time she was three and half she was much more bulky
She grew to17.3 from a 15.3 mare and 16.2 stallion.

becca1305

Visit site
Shes already rugged :). When seen by vet in a condition I thought was right - 'slim skinny' she was declared perfect, however I voiced my concerns on wed to the vet over her weight (after the dozy moo kicked herself warranting a vet call and box rest) he said he agreed that she was now too skinny and needed to put on condition. Im very cautious about overfeeding, but she is definitely in too poor condition atm.

Ahh you have another monster too! :D. Mine is similar though not quite as out from what breeding would suggest- sire 16.2hh dam no bigger (16hh/16.1hh) and yet string test is making her finish at almost 18hh and shes currently at almost 17hh :eek: not quite sure where its come from! Luckily Im almost 6ft so not too bothered! :)