Feeding advice/help please

superpony

Visit site
Abit of background.. Luna has had vomiting and diarrhea on and off ever since we got her as 8 weeks old really (She is now a 10 month old labrador). After lots of antibiotics, bloods, samples and xrays we believe it is her food.

She came to me on Eukanuba puppy food, she had diarrhea on this so we changed her to Royal Canin Large Breed Junior. This seemed to suit her for a while but then the diarrhea began again.. around christmas time we changed to James Wellbeloved and thought we had cracked it.

However she started with vomiting approximately a month ago, she lost quite alot of weight and was pretty poorly, so was on chicken and rice to help settle her stomach which suits her and we had no problems while on this. She also had some gut balanced tablets to help settle her and the vet recommended trying Royal Canin Sensitivity Control, we now have vomiting and diarrhea!! So have taken her off this too. and back on the chicken and rice.

Now wondering what next to try? Will be speaking to the vet again.. but have sent for a sample from Fish4Dogs.. was also thinking of trying a raw diet as alot of people seem to have success with this? No idea where to start here though.. looked at Natural Instinct which seems pretty good.

Any advice appreciated!

ecrozier

Visit site
I would give raw a try, I'm feeding my 10week old and 9 year old on NI at the moment - I might be brave and branch out a bit eventually but at the moment I like the reassurance that something as prepared as NI gives me!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Try raw as suggested or Fishmongers white fish or salmon and potato from Pets at Home. Reasonable and very high fish content for the price.

satinbaze

Visit site
Has she been tested for guardia. A friends lab has this and it takes worming and antibiotic combination to get under control. Seeing as its a Protozoa it returns at times of stress. Certainly worth taking a stool sample to the vets

moppett

Visit site
I would definitely feed raw - i know it might seem to go against logic, for example if the dog has an upset sensitive stomach how will he ever cope raw meat and bones?! But I promise you the raw diet is fantastic and I know so many dog who never had solid poo until they went on raw.

If you're new to raw I'd suggest natural instinct. It is an easy and accessible place to start!

ladyearl

vvv
I'm not against raw a lot of people seem to swear by it but I had the same problem as you when I first got my rescue collie. Although tbh I don't think she'd really ever had any decent food before I got her at 10 months. After about 2 months I tried Fish4dogs and she has done well on it ever since. They have changed their recipe in that time but she's still doing well so no thoughts of change atm.