Feeding advice, I'm in a pickle!

My Boys M&D

Visit site
I want to simplify my horses current feeding regime. I'm not having any particular issues with what he's on now but I want to make sure he's getting everything he needs and ideally looking for an all in one feed that is a bit more economical and easy to manage deliveries etc.

Horse is a 16hh TB, in moderate work, and is a reasonable doer. No issues with weight/condition. He goes out for 8 hours a day over winter (overnight in summer) and is given plenty of hay, always has a few scraps left in the morning. He's currently on:
Dengie Hi Fi
Unbranded horse and pony nuts
Pure balancer
Cup of micronised linseed November-March (ish)

I like the look of Dengie Healthy Tummy as it is a complete feed, low in starch/sugar (he is barefoot) and is supposed to have all the vits/minerals added already. However, the recommended feeding rate is 5 scoops per day (2.5kg) which seems a huge volume compared to what he is on now so I'm not sure it will be economical and easy to split into 2 feeds. Does anyone have any experience of feeding this?

Also like the look of Pure Working.

Can anyone offer any advice, tips or suggestions? I'd like to keep everything as simple as possible for my tiny brain to comprehend!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I use Pure working, very much does the job for me and B.
I do not feed the reccomended amount, but feed according to work, so it increases when in harder work and smaller half bowl scoop when taking it easy.

When stabled in winter, I add small scoop top spec ulcerkind nuts twice daily too.

Birker2020

Visit site
I put my mare on the Dengie Healthy Tummy before she died, only a handful in her feeds but she loved it so much. It was my friends horse that was on it, and she said to help myself as the additional bute she was on wasn't exactly palatable for her. Very tasty and palatable.

Last edited:

HeyMich

Visit site
If I were you I would call the lovely folk at Pure Feeds and ask them. They will tell you which feed is best for your boy, and if you need any additional supplements to keep overall intake the same as now. That should simplify it.

(I'm not associated with Pure Feeds in any way, I'm just a happy customer of theirs!)

windand rain

Visit site
Mine all have grass I bucket feed grassnuts soaked for 10 minutes or while doing jobs so sometimes longer, grass chaff, powdered balancer and those that need get micronised linseed. all from the 3 year old to the 25 year old look fab on it.

My Boys M&D

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies!

Just out of interest, does anyone actually end up feeding the recommended quantities of feed? I'm thinking maybe of giving him a scoop of Healthy Tummy or Pure Working am and pm and just adding a multivitamin to make up his RDA, is this sensible?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies!

Just out of interest, does anyone actually end up feeding the recommended quantities of feed? I'm thinking maybe of giving him a scoop of Healthy Tummy or Pure Working am and pm and just adding a multivitamin to make up his RDA, is this sensible?

I literally never feed the recommended amount, a vitamin supplement will be fine if he needs it and if he doesn't you'll just be creating expensive wee.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't feed 5 scoops of any feed just to get vitamins and minerals just use a powdered supplement then you can alter your feed how you like, if your horse is ok on what his having why change it.

Don't use any feed with added minerals it will be cheaper and then just buy a supplement I don't see the point of buying both.

My Boys M&D

Visit site
Thanks. I had no intention of feeding that much as it just seems so much to stuff into him! Annoys me a little that the feed companies are advocating doing that though.

Think I'll do as others suggest, feed a scoop morning and evening and add a balancer powder to make sure he's getting what he needs.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I had been feeding mine his mineral supplement in Alfa a molasses free but he kept leaving them. When I swapped to putting them in healthy tummy he loves it. He only gets about 500g though.