Feeding Agnus Castus question

Ellietotz

Visit site
I am attempting to put my mare on Agnus Castus again to help her through her seasons.
I purchased a bag from Pro Earth and it recommends 15g to 30g a day for horses and ponies.
Does anyone here feed it? If so, how much do you feed and what size/weight is your mare? Do you feed the same amount all the time? Is it okay to feed everyday or do you need to have a resting period?

Thank you!

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I have been feeding a 30 ml scoop daily to my mare who likely weighs around 500 kg since April. I will continue until late autumn. My mare is very sensitive when in season and this has really helped.

Louby

Visit site
Hi, I read so many positive things about it but my mare wouldnt touch it even laced with mollasses so unfortunately I gave up :( My intentions was to feed it everyday.

dominobrown

Visit site
I currently feed it in the form of oestress but would look at cheaper forms. You have to introduce it in tiny amounts at first to get them to eat it.... well I did but she loves it now.
Made a massive massive difference. You can tell she is in season bit is rideable and still go out and compete. She is normally really forward and enthusiastic about life but when in season she was backwards and grumpy and not off the leg at all. Now her happy bouncy self 24/7!!!

Archangel

Visit site
Hi, I read so many positive things about it but my mare wouldnt touch it even laced with mollasses so unfortunately I gave up :( My intentions was to feed it everyday.

My mare was the same. In the end I left the dose spread out on a plate to 'air' between feeds and she managed to force it down.

Griffin

Visit site
I feed it within a moody mare blend, something in it must work because she is much more relaxed. My mare was not keen to start with but if I mix it with a small handful of Thunderbrooks muesli and wet it, she will eat it. It took a few days to persuade her though!

CMcC

Visit site
I fed it to my gelding for years - it was used to control Cushings (his blood tests always showed borderline Cushings). He was on it for several years, all year round.

HeyMich

Visit site
I feed it in a blend with brewer's yeast, about 50:50 mix. I give 2 small scoops per day, so about 30g in total - 15g of agnus castus and 15g of brewer's yeast. I guess there may be more of one or the other if I haven't mixed it very well!

I really like my mare when she's on it, there seems to be much less moody and sporadically stupid behaviour! I think the brewer's yeast helps her moods too, plus she has had ulcers and it is supposed to help regulate general gut health as well.

I just mix it in well with her feed and she eats it no bother.

teddypops

Visit site
I tried it with my mare, I had to start with a tiny amount and gradually build it up to the recommended amount, it made no difference to her at all.

cundlegreen

Visit site
I started my very reactive mare on it yesterday. No problem eating it. Mine is the pure product like little peppercorns. I wondered if it would be more beneficial ground up?

Louby

Visit site
My mare was the same. In the end I left the dose spread out on a plate to 'air' between feeds and she managed to force it down.

Thak you I will try that. I have fed Oestrus to a previous mare with no problems but thought Id try this as its so much cheaper. I did start with a tiny amount, building it up but she basically turned her nose up and kicked the bucket all over lol

Ellietotz

Visit site
Thak you I will try that. I have fed Oestrus to a previous mare with no problems but thought Id try this as its so much cheaper. I did start with a tiny amount, building it up but she basically turned her nose up and kicked the bucket all over lol

My mare did that on the last two attempts on it but this time, I covered it with garlic and she ate it all!