Feeding an aged horse

Jemima44

Visit site
I have a 35 year old three quarter tb, retired for many years. She has been a very good doer. She lives out with access to a deep-littered field shelter and she wears a heavyweight rug. Grazing is very good all year and she has access to hay all winter and a mineral block. Her teeth are worn but serviceable.

Last Summer she did not pick up condition as usual and retained a thicker coat. This winter she is given a veteran mix - a couple of kilos twice daily when possible, otherwise once. She seems content and healthy for her age. Does anyone have an favourite tips or advice for feeding and maintaining an old horse to keep her as healthy and happy as possible during her last years?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well ensuring that you do feed her twice a day would help, rather than the adhoc basis of 'when possible'........

barkinghorse

Visit site
If your local feed merchant can get hold of Haven feeds, the one i used on Jess was Slobermash. It has all in nessesary vits and mins for the older horse, you add water, and let it swell a little, hence the name.
Jess blossomed on it and she was a 25yr old TB, she always won the veterans class when i was feeding it.
Jo

JessPickle

Visit site
The oldies at my yard (32yr old 30 yr old and 28 yr old) are all fed soaked maize and soaked fibre nuts (they dont have to be soaked but they dont have many teeth left so its easier to eat that way) that helps them to stay in condition (they are not retired but in very light work)

lydiaandmiffy

Visit site
yep the answer is soaked everything!!
laugh.gif

filly190

Visit site
I find sugar beet and alfa work very well and are easy to eat. I think you are doing really well to keep a horse to this age and naturally they do loose condition what ever you do with them. Its hard to keep the weight on and a slight change of softer food may well help.

bellaM

Visit site
Have you had her teeth checked by a qualified EDT? My aged mare didn't do very well last winter, I had had her teeth done recently but then had them re-checked by qualified EDT and they were horrendous, anyway they are all fixed now and she has regular dental treatment, the grinding surface on the teeth may also have worn smooth, making eating harder.
I started feeding her early this winter on 16+ just to be on the safe side and she ballooned, I'm now having to diet her in time for spring!

dozzie

Visit site
My Oldie has never been a good doer or eater! In the past I have tried everything but I have found soaked pony nuts ( actually use build up cubes) help as he seems to be able to absorb the nutrients better. He also gets sugarbeet and alfa A- perhaps not very balanced but seems to work for him. I use a general purpose vitamin supplement too. And regular worming and teeth checks of course..

maxebraith

Visit site
my old mare is 32 so i know exactly how you feel!!! i feed little and often (have a very good livery yard owner who only works part time!!) veteran mix dengie hi fi lite and a veteran supplement i tend not to turn out for too long in summer as she has cushings so have to be careful with the laminitis side effect. I also have her clipped out all yr round espcially in summer so she doesnt get too hot and that seems to keep her happy. i think they will tell you if they are not happy!

Scarlett1980

Visit site
Have you tried SPILLERS Senior conditioning mix? You can soak it or not but its brill for improving condition and they do a Maintenence one for the spring/summer when there is more grass.

Alsom high fibre cubes are great for soaking and feeding as a mash.

bunnereeny

Visit site
my veteran (well into her 20's) has allen and page calm and condition which is soaked and showshine chaff with cortaflex HA for her joints , shes still fab and was out sj the other wkend. She did have sugarbeet as well but it made her fizzy (shes very sensitive)
I'd definately make sure her teeth are well looked after as with any horse of any age but more so for a veteran as they can find it more difficult to recover if they loose condition.