Feeding an elderly pony

frostyfingers

Visit site
Dpony who is around 20 has always been a good doer, his ability to get fat on thin air is unparalleled and I have to monitor his intake all year round. Over the last few weeks, because of dhorse's mud fever dpony has been on the yard with him and being fed hard feed & hay instead of being out at grass. Whilst out he was getting a double handful of Dodson & Horrell Safe & Sound just to keep him happy.

He is prone to colic now, and I was recommended the Safe & Sound (last year whilst he was in at night) as the fibre it contains keeps his tummy ticking over without adding to his waistline and although he's not especially fond of it, it has done him well. Dhorse also gets it and loves it.

My problem is that I have noticed in the time that he's been in that he seems to be struggling with the Safe & Sound - it takes him ages to eat, he picks out the nuts and leaves the chop - and with the hay. I have been adding water to his feed and soaking the hay but the problem is still there and he's lost a little weight. He had his teeth checked in November and although worn the bite is still good and they are generally in average condition for his age. I have been putting him out for a couple of hours daily, but cannot leave him out and dhorse in for any length of time as dhorse is incapable of being alone (loopy thoroughbred) and tries to jump out of his stable.

So what I'm looking for is something that will keep his gut busy to help in preventing colic, that will is also not fattening, but easy for him to chew.... The vet is due out this week to check dhorse's mud fever so I'll ask her to look in his mouth again, but any advice would be much appreciated.

sueonmull

Visit site
Not wanting to knock vets but was it the vet who checked his teeth in November? If so did he use a gag so he could look properly at the back teeth, were they rasped at all? From what you've said it sounds like he is having problems with chewing long fibre, and I think you're right to be getting them checked again. Perhaps consider getting an equine dentist?

DuckToller

Visit site
He could have a loose tooth - my old pony loses a tooth every six months or so at the moment. Think he is down to about 12 molars now!

Mine doesn't suffer from laminitis fortunately so he gets a half scoop of pony mix, but I add speedibeet to it about half hour before I feed him, so it goes quite mushy. Mine isn't keen on the chaff in safe and sound either, so will follow this thread with interest.

My farmer sold me some second cut hay, which is very short and soft as it is mostly leaves, and he loves that and doesn't seem to struggle at all. Maybe try to find some soft hay and soak it to remove sugars?