Feeding an OAP - supplements?

supagran

Visit site
I have a 25yo home bred chestnut mare who is fully retired. She comes in when the weather is wet but otherwise lives out (with a rug in winter/autumn).

She is an extremely "good do-er" and always has been. Due to long term issues she is on Regumate permanently (vets advice!). I put the appropriate amount in a very small amount of veteran mix every day, and she also gets a very small amount of hay (which will increase as the grass stops growing). She is also (being an older lady) a bit stiff these days. I don't think she is getting enough hard feed to give her the amount of minerals/vitamins etc she needs, but I don't want to feed anymore hard feed for fear of her getting laminitis.

My question is – what is the best supplement I can give her to support mobility, etc etc etc? She loves to get a feed on an evening so I would propose to change her feed to a cheaper mix.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Local vet recommends Top Spec Veteran for elderly horses. I must say that it improved my old chap a lot during his last year. He was on bute for arthritis though..

Peglo

Visit site
My pony is a very good doer but I want to get supplements in her so I feed her a molasses free chaff with her supplements and she enjoys her feed. It’s under 10% sugar and starch so should be the same as feeding hay but a bucket so exciting.

I know this is quite controversial but when my oldie was getting on I put magnet boots on and when I took them off to clean and dry I noticed a difference in her. I only bought them as thought it wouldn’t hurt but they seemed to help her.