Feeding an old horse with weightloss

vikkibeth

Visit site
Hi I got a 19yrs old arab x tb 15.3hh last summer, he was previously kept in a livery so in at night etc, we don't have that facility, he's out 24/7 and well rugged and has a shelter to use. He kept weight on well till December then started to drop, he was on happy hooves and senior chaff (as that's what he was feed on previously) but started him on fibre beet about 3 weeks ago on advice of a friend and although his weight hasn't dropped further he hasn't really put on a lot more but have noticed his energy levels have gone up. He also gets ad lib hay and is still very dominant so gets his fair share from his field buddy..... He's teeth are fine, done in November and he up to date with his wormers. I also haven't ridden him since November as I found out I was pregnant and have suffered with crippling and hospital worthy sickness so he's not been in work. We have decided to move to a livery ourselves as just feel it will be better for him and move next week but I want to make sure what I feed him is correct and that I am giving him all that he needs as I am obviously not doing this at the moment. What would you suggest is right to feed him.

leggs

Visit site
I think moving back to a livery (stabled at night ?) is the best thing you could have done. My arab x and currently arab xTB absolutely detest this weather, stresses them out completely. Though they're in the fields for 12 hours, they love to come in the stable with this rainy weather.

spookypony

Visit site
The fibrebeet is good; consider adding micronised linseed, and perhaps Coolstance Copra if you're really worried. Sounds like you have it under control, though! :)

Izzwizz

Visit site
Happy Hoof is more for good doers and fatties like my horse. If he still drops weight then you could feed the Ready Mash Extra which is good for weight gain and is full of vitamins, oils etc. If you google it that will tell you more. Fibre beet is good too as provides fibre and is for weight gain. Ad lib hay/haylage is good but you may find that back at livery he will settle down.

BraidedTail

Visit site
The fibrebeet is good; consider adding micronised linseed, and perhaps Coolstance Copra if you're really worried. Sounds like you have it under control, though! :)
I was going to suggest Coolstance too - just discovered it myself and it's working wonders with my horse! Have used the ready mash extra too on an old pony also with fab results.

Cocorules

Visit site
I would have him checked for cushings. With my oldie the first sign of cushings was weight loss. Obviously that may not apply but might be worth checking.

In my pony's case I get weight back on most quickly by upping her hay rather than hard feed. However you are feeding ad lib hay so getting plenty of fibre in him, which generally works, so possibly more reason to check if there is an underlying cause.

My oldie lives out but the weight loss can be any time of year. It is less bad now that she is on prascend but I still have to keep an eye on her. My others lose weight at this time of year but that is just part of the natural process of weight gain in summer and weight loss in winter.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
How are you feeding the hay?

I would definitely stable overnight, and consider upping the calories significantly.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Had exactly the same issue with my rising 23yo PBA - he gets a scoop of Alfa Oil, scoop of Calm and Condition and half scoop of Topspec Cool Conditioning cubes twice a day (plus bute and turmeric) - costs me a fortune (mainly getting through the topspec cubes) but if I change it at all he drops weight instantly.

Spotsrock

Visit site
My vet had me put my old mare (34 with catalogue of illness) on Alfa a and sugar beet, she packed it on. I gave her a veteran mix too but it was the Alfa he said would make the difference, very experienced horse vet.

Evie91

Visit site
After reccomendation on here I'm now using Pure Feeds Conditioning Mix and mug of linseed am and pm, with drop of veg oil. My horse was looking poor and now looks amazing.

Regandal

Visit site
Coolstance copra. Amazing stuff. My 2 get it as they're on a low starch diet.
Edited to add: anyone near Fife, Collessie Horse Feeds sell it for £16 a bag.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We put weight back on our old lady after she had a nasty colic aged 25 by feeding her Speedibeet, soaked grassnuts and dried grass chaff with linseed oil. By varying the amount we increased and then maintained her weight for the next six years.

vikkibeth

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone for your help and suggestions, I forgot to mention that I bought some micronised linseed from our feed stockist today after reading how much it has helped other people's horses. I agree that I don't think that the happy hoof is really what he needs and will look at everyone's suggestions and work out the best combo to start with and hope that it helps. I can't wait to move him and to know he's happy and warm at night :). Funnily enough his field buddy is also an Arab x tb but couldn't be any different she just has to sniff at grass and she piles on the weight (a bit like me haha)so having to reduce her hard feed slowly once stabled.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Try cushcare if a cushings test comes back positive or borderline. I've been using it for a couple of months now and even the real oldie is putting a bit of condition back on. Fortunately slowly, I didn't want it back too quickly as that can be just as bad as losing it.

Jo1987

Visit site
It may be that he's losing muscle as he's not in work - my 19 year old tbx looks 'old' this year and it is his first winter of retirement. I'm feeding him 16 plus mix and ad lib hay and he is doing pretty well on it, but I am having to feed him more than when he was in work!

_HP_

Visit site
Try cushcare if a cushings test comes back positive or borderline. I've been using it for a couple of months now and even the real oldie is putting a bit of condition back on. Fortunately slowly, I didn't want it back too quickly as that can be just as bad as losing it.

Cushcare is marketed for older horses and ponies regardless of their cushings status..in fact, they don't even mention Cushings in their advertising.
Just a point..it contains Angus Castus which shouldn't really be used alongside Prascend according to some experts .

Re weight gain...micronised linseed is your friend :)

paddy555

Visit site
cushings is a possibility but I would have thought your obvious trigger for weight loss was a well bred horse living outside when he has been used to a stable at night. For a 19yo it may have been difficult to cope and despite ad lib hay if he has to share that could well be further stress (even if he is dominant) especially if he has previously been used to his own haynet.

I am sure when he is tucked up in bed with his own ad lib hay he will improve and if not then soaked dengie alfalfa pellets, soaked copra and micronised linseed with do the trick.

pip6

Visit site
Blimey, 19 is nothing, we have a 27 yr old tb who still does endurance pleasure rides and fun rides!

A few years ago she started to drop off in winter, no health issues. We've now stopped this through feed and she looks like a horse ten years younger than her age. We increased protein levels, by going to simple systems red bag nuts, added fibre with a and p fast fibre, then at night is more red bag grass nuts and simple systems simply complete. She has one flask cup of them per feed, so not large quantities! Supplements, green lipped mussels (great source of amino acids), fenugreek (maintain condition and muscle mass), brewers yeast (helps gut), linseed (taste and condition), equiflex (keep supple joints), additional glucosamine (recommended by vet after looking at levels in equiflex), garlic & honey (equiform nutrition, wind) and cider apple vinegar (suppleness). Ad lib haylage.

This is enough for this veteran to do rides up to 40km.

Mutl3y1512

New User
Visit site
I also have a 30 year old who has lost condition over the winter, he has 2 sections of hay 3 scoops of chaff 1 scoop of nuts 1 scoop of fast fibre and 5 scoops of beet a day, plus turn out and still looks poor am I feeding enough as he doesn't eat a lot of hay hence just the 2 pads