Feeding and weaning (again so so sorry)

lennysmith

Visit site
Hi, really sorry one last question about weanig then i promise I'll shut up!

Josie's friend is back on the yard and all is set to wean on Sunday. However, Josie has lost a LOT of weight (for her) recently. She has only been on hi fi lite and vits/mins as she was far to over weight. Litteraly in a couple of weeks she's lost more and more weight. She still by no means looks malnourished (sp).

However, what should I feed her whilst weaning. I obviously dont want to encourage her milk supply, or hype her up (which some feeds will do). Should I just wait til weaning is over then concentrate on getting her weight more stable, or do you think it would be better starting now?
confused.gif

Thankies for any advice (again) xxxxx

lisaward

Visit site
there are probably more knowledgable people on here than me but i personally would wait till the weaning is over as you don't want to encourage milk,she may also put weight on easier when she stops having to make food/milk for denver

baybeejay01

community.webshots.com
I agree that your first priority is to dry your mare up. She will inevitably put weight on when she doesn't have to feed Denver (although she could drop more thru' stress initially). Can you change her HiFi Lite to HiFi or Alpha A and increase her ration?

_daisy_

Visit site
Hiya - lucky you with the weaning bit. At least you can get it done before the winter - mine will have have to wait or see if she can do it naturally herself!

personally i wouldnt worry about her weight till youve weaned (as long as she deosnt go too drastically thin!) . The main thing is getting her to dry up and not get any complications. The more you feed her she will keep producing milk. I would keep her on the hifi, vit/min supplement and feed her hay not haylage.

Good luck for Sunday - pls let me know how you get on.
S

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
My advice for what it's worth would be to NOT feed Josie at all (not even her vit supplement, it isn't essential now so won't hurt for her to miss it out completely) for the six weeks needed unless it is dry hay. As the others have said, you want her to dry up without complications and by far the safest way to do this is to not feed at all other than her grazing. She will soon put weight back on after the milk has dried up and she is into some sort of routine, then you can start to gradually increase the feed along with the workload.
She looks thin to you atm because she has been working hard and the grass has fallen off in value quite quickly this year, which is a Godsend to you at this time, but don't worry, once the foal has stopped feeding, she'll easily gain it back and then you will be putting her on a diet!
If you feel really 'guilty' about stopping the feed, just make sure she is warm enough and rug if necessary, this will help her to not lose anymore weight than she has to.

Good luck, hope it all goes well, keep us posted! Have you done any pic's lately or have I missed them?

lennysmith

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I knew in my heart f hearts I needed to concentrate on her drying up. but just needed it confirming I guess. I'm very good at doubting myself!

MFH I have been totally rubbish with piccies recently. I must take some of them before weaning. He looks like a different boy. he's filled out sooo much and is now only 5 inches shorter than Josie!!!! No wonder she's starting to feel it a bit. He's more than ready for weaning. he plays wiht a ll the other youngsters over the fence and he and Josie are hardley ever in the same end of the field let alone next to each other.

I will keep you updated on our next adventure, please all keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone xxxxx

valentine

Visit site
hi i was just reading your reply you were saying that yours will wean naturally are yours late foals ? just interested what you do as i have a foal ready to wean in jan ?

Tia

Visit site
Oops! I naturally wean foals therefore my opinion may not be the same as everyone else's on here, however I wouldn't consider weaning during the middle of winter. If it was my foal I would be keeping him with his mother until at least April and hope that she kicks him off herself.

_jetset_

Visit site
I can't believe it is weaning time! It has flown by...

I will keep my fingers crossed for you on Sunday, although I am sure it will go absolutely fine. You have done so well being a first time foal owner, I just hope you don't mind me asking 101 questions when Hannah's finally comes in March!

lennysmith

Visit site
Hehe no ask away! (Although, I dont know how much use I'll be)

I think Josie knows it's time. I was up there this morning and Denver was mucking around she bit him so hard on the bum it's left a mark. she wont let him feed unless he begs now, then he gets bitten anyway! He's got a couple of really big lumps on his bum now!! It's not like he's feeding properly e just uses her as a play thing, poor Josie!!!!