Feeding brood mare

greenroof

Visit site
I have a cob type in-foal pony mare that is a very good doer. She has been out at grass until 3 weeks ago with no supplementary feeding. She is now stabled and goes out most days for 2-4 hours. She has a haynet night and morning and 2 small feeds per day of alpha-a oil and high fibre cubes. She is well covered/fat, very hairy (unrugged), silky, shiny coat and looks very well. I want to make sure that she gets all the nutrients that she needs for her foal without over feeding her. Can anyone suggest a good supplement that I can put in her feed that won't do any harm if she doesn't really need it.

crazycoloured

Visit site
I have a cob-type mare due april,she has been out at pasture since last june with no supplementary feed just good old grass.All she will have in her last 3 months is good quality haylage,she is well covered so dosent really need feeding,Feed wise for your mare there is a feed called baileys stud balancer that would be suitable that will give her her vits/mins without piling on the pounds...

LittleGreyMare

Visit site
I would describe my mare as an overgrown pony, she is stabled at night, has a haynet at night and has a reasonable amount of grass everyday.

I am feeding very little hard feed, but I am giving her a mineral supplement.

I am going to review her feed mid Jan when it will be 3 months to her due date.

jennygw

Visit site
Hi LittleGreyMare,

I fed my mare as normal during pregnancy - I just added NAF Mare & Youngstock Supplement to her feed as per the instructions from NAF.
She looked great throughout the whole pregnancy (does tend to drop weight easily) -though in the very last few weeks up to giving birth, went right off it!! So we cut it out! She is quite fussy though!
After foalie arrived, I put them onto D&H Suregrow and both loved it! The foal is still on it now at 7 months & both would eat it out of my hand.

eventrider23

Visit site
Surelimb powder would be one I would recommend as can be fed to all ages - and then if need more calories on foaling you can just change to Suregrow.