feeding carrotts

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
No change at all to my stress and hyperactive inclined WB none to Fany either, although she is so laid back she could do with livening up a bit. Cappy (WB) gets around 2 lb of succulents a day to include carrots, swede and apples.

However he is Bailey's outshine because it is low in cereals, anymore cereal and he goes hyper. So I think it is down to the individual.

FDC

Lakelandcross

Visit site
Around this time last year our field kept horses where running round like hyperactive kids. We couldn't work out why their behaviour had changed until I found a couple of carrots in the field.

Within a week I caught 3 people feeding them and asked them to stop. Their responses were similar "horses love carrots" and "i'm only giving them a couple". I explained that the horses do like them but they are not good for our horses and if everyone that I had caught (and any I hadn't caught) were giving them a couple of carrots they would be getting too many.

On the whole the horses behaviour returned to normal but once or twice a week they would become hyper again. I noticed a pattern of days so made a point of hanging around near the field on 1 of them and caught a couple tipping a half full carrier bag of carrots into the field. I asked them to stop and ,after the usual arguments, they did and the horses behaviour returned to normal.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Nope, I have five, varying from a Section A through to a full TB and in the winter if they are in, or if the grass is under snow, the big ones get a bucket a day and the little one gets half a bucket a day, split over two feeds.

Currently I have a full TB and a 3/4 TB 1/4 Shire in and they are on about a bucket of parsnips a day each.

trakehnersrock!

Visit site
Makes me wonder what right people think they have to feed other people's animals like that, even if it is "normal" stuff like carrots (I have heard of fresh bread and chicory, very popular here chicons, also being given). I wouldn't dream of it! How would they like it if we went round giving their dogs handfuls of biscuits or their kids tons of sugary sweets?
In answer to the OP, no I haven't. Perzka gets about 2kg of carrots and an apple every day, after work not before.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My farrier said to be careful if feeding carrots to a laminitic: carrots contain Beta Carotin which apparently isn't good for them, also the beta carotin can cause behaviour problems, the same as it does in some children who have hyperactivity disorders and there is a proven link between this in humans, so the need to avoid orange coloured things (like carrots and orange juice).

I don't feed them to mine at all; better not to take the chance. Having had one with lammi its something I'd never, ever want to happen again.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
One of the riding schools I was at gave the horses (ranging for Shetlands to TB to Clydesdales) loads of carrots (especially in winter) and there was no change to their behaviour.
I also don't noticed any change to my 2 current ponies behaviour when they get carrots.

Caz89

Visit site
I get a grumpy horse if I DON'T give him his daily carrot and polos :p He gets the right huff and stands at the back of his stable and refuses to eat his dinner until I leave lol

skychick

Visit site
No change in my TB and she has several a day :-D

Although.......if you say it happened at this time of year last year....might be something to do with the time of year sending them a bit doolally tat. Grass may have got a bit more goodness in it again, due to light etc you may be working them less so they have a bit more energy for pratting around, its cooler etc etc. My arab used to get even more energetic again around this time of the year and a few of the horses at the yard have a bit of a spring in their step!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Carrots contain high levels of female hormone oestragen. This is what brings about a change in behaviour, i have a mare and she can be like jeckle and hyde when she is in season so we have cut out carrots, she gets bananas instead, they are her favourite, she would actualy mug u for them!

ossy

Visit site
Mmm i'm intrigued my chesnut mare is very spooky, I just asumed it was done to the fect she is a chesnut mare but I feed her two carrots a day with her feed... I might take her off them and see what happens

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Mmm i'm intrigued my chesnut mare is very spooky, I just asumed it was done to the fect she is a chesnut mare but I feed her two carrots a day with her feed... I might take her off them and see what happens

hmmm mine is a chestnut mare.......the thing about them being tricky is just an old wives tale- the carrot thing is a scientific fact! i would try it and see if u see a change :)