Feeding dehydrated beets

Trinkett

Visit site
Hello, my horse got impaction colic on Monday and the vet said it was probably due to her not drinking enough, so I'm finding ways to help her drink more
I wanted to add to her normal feed some beets, is this a good idea? Or is it better to feed them alone?
Do you think it will help her have better hydration?
Also, do you have experience in adding molasses to the water bucket to make the horse drink more?
Thank you!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i think the only thing to consider about whether to mix into what you're already feeding is just whether that will still be in an acceptable volume or whether it will make the feed too big. in which case you could give separately or else split the feed into more meals.

SEL

Visit site
But do I feed it with the food or away ?

Are you in the UK?

Kwik beet or speedi beet are helpful for getting water into a horse that needs liquid. I feed away from the normal food it it is for medical reasons because sometimes they won't eat everything if it is like soup. What is your normal feed made up of?

Trinkett

Visit site
Are you in the UK?

Kwik beet or speedi beet are helpful for getting water into a horse that needs liquid. I feed away from the normal food it it is for medical reasons because sometimes they won't eat everything if it is like soup. What is your normal feed made up of?
No im in Italy and I got some dehydrated beets !
That's what my vet said, if it's too sloppy they won't eat ? like it's fun for me to force her to drink more!! https://www.cortalhorse.it/prodotti/super-fiber/ this is her feed

Trinkett

Visit site
A friend's horse loves a bit of apple juice added to her water. This helps her drink enough. Her regular food is an Agrobs mash. So a wet meal and a bit of juice in the water might work.
I tried the apple juice yesterday and she completely ignored it :(
I want to wet her feed from now on but literally now I fed her her usual mash but more liquid and SHE IGNORES IT?! she's been eating just the hay since yesterday so she's quite hungry BUT DOESNT EAT IT!!??!?! I CANTTTTT

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Does she get fed hay? I would soak that as they then get a lot of water from that I know my horses don't drink as much when the hay is soaked.

Pieces of chopped apple and carrot in the water bucket encourages them to drink more.

One of mine won't eat wet sloppy feed either.

Trinkett

Visit site
Does she get fed hay? I would soak that as they then get a lot of water from that I know my horses don't drink as much when the hay is soaked.

Pieces of chopped apple and carrot in the water bucket encourages them to drink more.

One of mine won't eat wet sloppy feed either.
I'll ask the groom to soak the hay! I tried today with the carrots in the water bucket and she was waiting for me to take them out ? I can't with this horse!!
Like i want to wet everything she eats!!