Feeding EGUS prone horse

sweepeep

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've been having a look into feeding recenly for my (very) sensitive ginger gelding (TB, ex-racer). He literally falls apart with the slighest amount of sugar/starch in his diet so at the moment has Dengie HiFi Molasses Free & Micronised Linseed with a multivitamin supplement then a supplement for fore gut and a supplement for hind gut ulcers. He is absolutely fine with this mix.

Recently he's lost lustre and energy. He has had a virus and lost a considerable amount of weight due to it (and also a forceful recommendation to feed him Copra which I have since found using this forum that it reacts terribly with micronised linseed!!) I no longer give the Copra and he is starting to put on the weight again, slowly.

He does lack energy, and by no means do I want him to be nuts but I spoke to Dengie and they suggested instead of their HiFi Molasses Free to give Alfa-A Molasses Free and their Alfa-Beet.

I just wondered if anyone has an ulcer prone horse they have given Dengie Alfa-A Molasses Free and Dengie Alfa-Beet to and what were the results?

Thanks xx

be positive

Visit site
Alfalfa is recommended for ulcer prone horses due to the high calcium levels in it so as long as he is not sensitive in other ways to alfalfa you should be fine, for weight gain I would probably feed the pellets rather than the chop as you can get more into them, I gave pellets to one of mine and he did well, he scoped clear for ulcers but had many symptoms so went onto an ulcer friendly diet/ management.

None of my horses are that keen on the Alfa Beet so I stopped using it, I think if he were mine to keep things simple I would use pellets and linseed initially and see how he goes, my ex racehorse is doing well on soaked grass nuts, which I feed everything now, if he drops weight alfalfa pellets will be added.

Archiepoo

Visit site
my egus horse only has alfabeet and haylage ,nothing else .its great for gaining weight and i feed 4 large stubbs scoops twice a day , he cant have linseed but this suits him well ,it should be fed along side a balancer as its got nothing added to the speedybeet and alfalfa but im too nervous of feeding him anything else .hes got plenty of energy and wont eat chaff of any type so i feed a scoop to him before riding too

Kat

Visit site
I use alfa A molasses free for mine but she won't eat alfabeet. If yours will it should be better for him than speedibeet.