Feeding ex-racer- advice please!

Melody Grey

Visit site
Hi everyone, just looking for a little friendly advice re: my new ex-racer if I may?

Firstly, she's only been here with me for a week, so just getting to know her. I have a suspicion that she MAY have gastric ulcers- there are a few warning signs which I will obviously get checked out in due course, but for now am mulling over what she's been fed in her last home and wondering if a gentle change to something else might help?

1 x scoop of molasses chaff, 1/2 scoop horse and pony nuts per day in one feed. I have split this into 2 smaller feeds as I'm working her more than the last home and anticipated that I'd probably need to up that/ change it in the coming weeks.

i have never owned a horse with ulcers before, but have heard that molasses are no good in this situation- is this true?

The warning signs btw consist of a little stiffness through the back, teeth grinding whilst being ridden and a little wind sucking (without cribbing). These could totally be through other causes, just wondering where to start with this mare as there's quite a bit going on, but if she's being fed incorrectly it certainly won't help.

would I be thinking along the right lines with something like Alfa-a?

JoClark

Visit site
It is correct, you shouldnt really feed any horses molasses but especially ulcer prone horses. Mine had them and is now on Top Spec comprehensive balancer, low in starch, sugars and has biotin and probiotics in. I also use alfa a molasses free and simple system lucie pellets. The more alfa the better, that includes feeding a bit of alfa prior to exercise. Must have ad lib hay. Horses create acid all the time so they need to have something in their stomach pretty much constantly, ad lib hay really helps. Protexin have a good gut balancer. Also try not to make the feeds too big, they are trickle feeders and if we feed them big meals they struggle to digest it, I cant remember the maximum advised weight but you can look it up. Linseed is also good for them.

It doesnt sound like you are feeding your horse much, is she a good doer?

Melody Grey

Visit site
It is correct, you shouldnt really feed any horses molasses but especially ulcer prone horses. Mine had them and is now on Top Spec comprehensive balancer, low in starch, sugars and has biotin and probiotics in. I also use alfa a molasses free and simple system lucie pellets. The more alfa the better, that includes feeding a bit of alfa prior to exercise. Must have ad lib hay. Horses create acid all the time so they need to have something in their stomach pretty much constantly, ad lib hay really helps. Protexin have a good gut balancer. Also try not to make the feeds too big, they are trickle feeders and if we feed them big meals they struggle to digest it, I cant remember the maximum advised weight but you can look it up. Linseed is also good for them.

It doesnt sound like you are feeding your horse much, is she a good doer?

Thanks so much for your reply JoClark- you've summed up pretty much what I was thinking. Yes she does seen an incredibly good do-er. The molasses and pony nuts is just what she was on in her previous home (she's had a few months of schooling somewhere else since leaving the track), hence I was reluctant to change anything too soon. She looks well on it and is doing well settling in, so as we start to run out of feed I'll gradually change her over to something alfa based. I'm not certain she has ulcers, but it seems silly to be knowingly feeding her something unsuitable if as an ex- racer she may be prone to them. Thanks so much for your advice :)

Last edited: