Feeding for dry skin

ShadowHunter

Visit site
My horse has extremely dry skin resulting in dandruff all over her body, her coat has become a little dull too, she's been treated for mites so now I'm thinking its just dry skin. Is there anything i can give her to help this? I've seen that soya oil or linseed is supposed to be good for the skin and coat. Bailey's do a chaff with oil that i was considering too.. I don't want anything to give her too much energy or calories as she's a good doer.
She's currently on a tiny amount of pony nuts and regular chaff as she has the powdered oestress.

MuddyTB

Visit site
Feed direct from the bag.

If that doesn't help i'd look at giving a balancer/vit supplement as well but linseed is good stuff.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It is probably caused by the pony nuts and chaff that you are feeding her, so substitute them for grass nuts and grasschaff (Graze-On), adding linseed is also a good idea.

9tails

Visit site
Just reading the post topic made me think linseed. It is a wonder feed, gives a gloriously healthy shine to the coat. I'd ditch the pony nuts and basic chaff as pearlsasinger suggested.

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Now you've said that, I'm thinking she could be allergic to alfalfa.. Thankfully we're nearing the bottom of the feed so changing it over should be pretty easy. Linseed is arriving tomorrow and i'll be looking into alfalfa free feed.