Feeding for energy after laminitis

nearly_grey

New User
Visit site
My horse is now back in work after recovering from laminitis.
He is leaner and fitter than he has ever been. He has always been laid back and I would like to give him something to increase his energy levels. He gets Happy Hoof, hay and a few carrots. I have been giving hin a couple of handfuls of oats, on the recommendation of the YO, but I am not entirely happy about it. I would be grateful for any advice.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I would have suggested oats as well. That way you can stick with what you're feeding (except the carrots - bad for lamis) and then just add the oats on the days when he will need a little more 'sparkle'.

Tia

Visit site
I feed my recovered lami oats plus a bit of alfalfa (alfalfa is good for them in moderation), hifibre pellets and black oil sunflower seeds. I never feed her carrots or apples or anything with a high sugar content.

colmio

Visit site
For our pony with chronic laminitis we were told that hay, hay and more hay was the most important food, long fibres are beneficial. Good to hear your horse has recovered well!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I would feed more oil. I personally keep our lami pony well away from any cereals. Feeding Alfalfa with oil would be good. Maybe Dengie Alfa A Oil? Or simply add oil to his feed. Mine has been getting about 2 carrots a day (and apples sometimes) with no harm done whatsoever. I dont believe these harm them as long as too many aren't given.

monstermunch

Visit site
oil is good to keep horses healthy but it is fat so is unlikely to give your horse more energy. Simpler forms of carbohydrates will give higher energy boosts, such as oats. I do agree that a carrot every now and again won't hurt!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I would also say oil for slow release energy, my lami prone girl gets oil and happy hoof, amongst other bits and bobs and is fine on that, she also gets an apple and/or carrot every day

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
Hearing laminitis - I would say avoid cereals as much as possible and replace it with something high in fibre and high oil (great provider of non-heating energy and has been proved to be a safe way to provide energy for horses who need to avoid starch i.e. those prone to laminitis); analyse his vitamins and minerals and address any deficiencies and make sure that his fibre intake is as constant as possible.
From what you say he is in fairly good condition - I would think keep his starch low (i.e. cereals) and find a good balancer. Lack of energy (laziness) is sometimes caused by lack of vitamins and minerals. Oats is probably the first thing that comes to my mind as an instant energy provider but I am not sure if its safe for post laminitis horse.
Almost all feed manufacturers have free helplines so you could have a go:)