Feeding for energy

_jetset_

Visit site
Hannah is on Alfa A (mixed with Alfa Oil) and TopSpec balancer.

When she came back from stud she was really quite thin and to be honest you can still see her ribs at the moment. I have put her on the Alfa Oil to start getting some weight back on her, but the problem I have is that once the weight is on she will maintain in quite easily.

So, as her work load is starting to increase, I was wondering whether anyone could recommend a feed you can give for slow release energy that will not add too much weight to her?

SpottedCat

Visit site
I have the same problem and rang some feed companies - the universal answer was that energy = calories in horses so the only way to increase sparkle was to feed an instant, high energy feed but in amounts way, way below the manufacturers recommended amount - start with a handful then up it until you have the desired result!

I've also found propell has given my horse back a bit of sparkle too.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
I can reccomend Propell plus aswell...I have the same problem with Star, she bascially lives of fresh air so I cant risk feeding her huge amounts and putting more weight on, so she just has a pretty basic feed but with Propell plus supplement
smile.gif

KatB

Visit site
Allen and page comp mixes are good. I also found Propell good, but came off it when he was on topspec as it oversupplements him. In the summer I feed a comp mix like Allen and page Light, topspec and very small handful of chaff just to stop him gulping his food down! Seems to work ok for him, and he is exactly as you describe Hannah.

cazcrazyjonty

cazcrazyjonty.tripod.com
hi
choc didnt have any energy at all so i wondered weather to retire him from eventing, so we emailed a few company's and sacren came up with a very good one.... hes on Equi-Jewel which i feed to how much energy i want... also has top spec balance in the feed a long with all vitamins and minerals. fantastic stuff... also feed prep 14 which is good for maintaining weight and keep them looking fantastic... PM if you want to know a bit more...
smile.gif

huskimo12

Visit site
I feed lay off cubes as standard as anything else seems to send her off her box, Top Spec balancer Big scoop Alfa A oil and to give her a bit more energy i feed Spillers instant release energy cubes, but i dont usually use it until well into the eventing season.

If she is relatively quit you could try the slow release energy mix but I have found it tends to send ever the quietist of horses a bit loopy if not fed according to work load and it is quite high in protein so you need to be really careful to match it to her work load. Actually has anyone else found this effect with the slow release energy mix/nuts?