Feeding for freaking fabulous feet

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
One of the ponies has always been shod. Her workload is going to be much quieter this year. Just 3-4 days quiet hacking a week. Road work and then on grass. There are some gravel tracks which I would like to go on but we can avoid them if we have to.

She doesn't get fed. Just hay.

Is there something I should be feeding to encourage strong, decent feet if we try and do this year without shoes? Or ways to condition her feet? She's a native type.

popletaa

Visit site
You'll probably want to invest in hoof boots when you first take off the shoes as she might be sore initially, it took mine about 6 months to feel comfortable enough to go without boots (she's a native too). Feed wise, I give her magnesium and brewers yeast which seems to help. She still needs the hoof boots sometimes, usually in really wet conditions or if she's getting too much rich grass, but overall her feet are pretty rock crunching now :)

suestowford

Visit site
I've got natives. I don't really feed them a lot, just a bit of chaff and a balancer, and hay. I use Baileys Lo Cal balancer.
Their feet are really good and neither of them has ever needed shoes. I do restrict grazing spring to autumn especially as one has had laminitis in the past and now has Cushings.

Tarragon

Visit site
I am a member of the Barefoot Horse Owner FaceBook group, which does post some useful stuff, especially on feeding. It is a bit of a minefield and there are some real zealots on there, but also plenty of knowledgeable people. I have had my two native ponies barefoot now for 5 years and it has been a learning curve. Feeding wise, I think that some people do overthink it, but you cannot go wrong with the general rule of feeding as little sugar as possible. So, almost treat them as though they are prone to laminitis even if they are not.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
You'll probably want to invest in hoof boots when you first take off the shoes as she might be sore initially, it took mine about 6 months to feel comfortable enough to go without boots (she's a native too). Feed wise, I give her magnesium and brewers yeast which seems to help. She still needs the hoof boots sometimes, usually in really wet conditions or if she's getting too much rich grass, but overall her feet are pretty rock crunching now :)

I've always been a bit cautious about hoof boots. How do they work if you go through deeper mud? Are they easy to fit? Do they last long? Can you gallop? Can you just have front hoof boots?

popletaa

Visit site
I've always been a bit cautious about hoof boots. How do they work if you go through deeper mud? Are they easy to fit? Do they last long? Can you gallop? Can you just have front hoof boots?

I just have boots on the front (mine was only shod in front anyway), but you can put them on all four. I've been through deep mud, galloped etc. with no problems and they've never come off - I have Cavallos. But I know some people have found Cavallos to be a bit slippy on wet grass, plus the velcro straps are a bit useless once it gets muddy and they're hard to clean. Scoot boots are probably better, and you can get mud straps for them to help them stay on in deep mud, though they're expensive to purchase. There's a huge market for second hoof boots though, so if you don't get on with them you can easily sell them on for almost what you paid for them (particularly with Scoot boots as they're very popular). I bought my Cavallos second hand and I've had them about a year. Not sure how long they last, but I've heard Scoots last for ages before the grip starts to wear.

For fitting advice, the facebook group that Tarragon mentioned are really helpful. Or if you use a barefoot trimmer they can advise you on what size you need.

Nudibranch

Visit site
There are lots of different boots available. I have yet to wear out a pair. Some stay on more easily than others. I've never lost a Cavallo for example, but they are quite clumpy so I use Scoots now. You can buy mud straps to help them stay on. And yes you can gallop in them, and yes you can use them just in front (I do when I use them). Lots of good websites if you have a google but I do think it's good to have a pair if you're barefoot. There are times when they feel their feet a bit more so chucking on a pair of boots means you can keep going.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have 4 Easyboot Backcountry gloves for my ponies (you buy them in singles!). Luckily, the same size fits them both. I don't have to use them on a regular basis but it is useful to have them available for when either you know you are going to be covering some rough ground on a route you cannot avoid, e.g. an EGB ride, or, when you find they become footy for whatever reason, generally related to the grass at the time of the year, to tide you over while you adjust their diet accordingly. The boots seem expensive (mine were about £75 each when I bought them!) but nothing compared to what you pay out to the farrier on a regular basis. I must have had mine at least 5 years. I only use them on the fronts.

Last edited:

Griffin

Visit site
I am a member of the Barefoot Horse Owner FaceBook group, which does post some useful stuff, especially on feeding. It is a bit of a minefield and there are some real zealots on there, but also plenty of knowledgeable people. I have had my two native ponies barefoot now for 5 years and it has been a learning curve. Feeding wise, I think that some people do overthink it, but you cannot go wrong with the general rule of feeding as little sugar as possible. So, almost treat them as though they are prone to laminitis even if they are not.

I agree, I think that people really overthink feeding barefoot horses but as long as you stick to not feeding too much sugar, you are usually fine.

I always think that different feeds suit different horses and owners too. I mean, I feed my barefoot mare Spillers Lite+Lean which many barefoot owners have a heart attack at but her feet are great.

You could try adding a specific hoof supplement but if the diet is well balanced anyway, you should be ok.

Cragrat

Visit site
What are her feet like now? Much thrush? Deep/split sulcus? Have you had a look at her white line when the farrier is changing her shoes - is it sretched? Do her feet flare/splay/change angle on the way down from the coronet? Rings around her hooves, especially if wider near the heels?

If 'no' to all the above, then she'll probably transition quite easily, with a bot of care (as ohers have said, control the sugar, use boots as needed - comfortable moevemnet is important).

If yes to any of the above, then the shoes are probably hiding issues which will become more obvious once they are off - but taking them off will allow her hooves to recover. The diet is the first place to look - too much sugar and iron, not enough copper and zinc. Add as much comfortable movement as possible.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I love the Easyboots but have no idea why their size chart is so limited. My Dales is too big for them for example, and her feet really aren't that massive. I suppose it's a US thing, but they're missing a trick!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Biotin without a doubt. Pepsi my rescue shettie had canker when I got him, swear veterinary strength biotin has helped him walk miles a day with me.

Biotin should only be needed if the horse isn't producing enough itself. A healthy horse with a healthy gut on a high fibre, low sugar diet with no significant mineral imbalances shouldn't need extra biotin. Great for rehab type situations or those with health issues or other challenges of course.

Zuzan

Visit site
Make sure you don't over supplement iron and that there a good levels of Zinc Copper and Magnesium in the diet. Micronised linseed is brilliant and most people under feed it .. attached is a table Dave Marlin produced as an interesting guide to feeding linseed.

Attachments

• Linseed feed guide from Dr David Marlin.jpg
    Linseed feed guide from Dr David Marlin.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 21