Feeding for more oomph

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
Quick question: my ISH is running out of steam when being ridden. His workload has increased considerably and I need to change his feed. He's a fairly laid back chap and I don't want to turn him into a feed crazed maniac as my teenage daughter also rides him.

Currently gets safe & sound / sugar beet / balancer. What would you add for more oomph without adding too much bulk?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'd start with something like Spillers Slow release cubes. He's not really getting fed any energy at the moment, so not surprised he's struggling a bit.

scotsmare

Thanks. He's on good grazing / haylage and is a pretty good doer. He's stabled at night all year round. We've struggled with his weight since we bought him. However, since we moved yards that's now under control hence why we need to sort out his feed so he can work happily.

Last edited:

TwoStroke

Visit site
I'd start with something like Spillers Slow release cubes. He's not really getting fed any energy at the moment, so not surprised he's struggling a bit.

What an odd thing to say :confused:. Horses get most of their energy from digesting fibre in the hind gut, so I should think he's getting plenty of energy.

Is he getting ad lib forage? If so, I would start by adding micronised linseed, as it is energy dense but in oil form, so no starch. You want to aviod over loading the horse on starch, as this can cause metabolic issues. Keep the feeds as small as possible. Oats can be useful, but make sure you are working the horse enough to cope with them.

Another thing springs to mind - you mentioned his work load has increased considerably - perhaps he has just not had the time to build up enough fitness to cope with it yet?

scotsmare

What an odd thing to say :confused:. Horses get most of their energy from digesting fibre in the hind gut, so I should think he's getting plenty of energy.

Is he getting ad lib forage? If so, I would start by adding micronised linseed, as it is energy dense but in oil form, so no starch. You want to aviod over loading the horse on starch, as this can cause metabolic issues. Keep the feeds as small as possible. Oats can be useful, but make sure you are working the horse enough to cope with them.

Another thing springs to mind - you mentioned his work load has increased considerably - perhaps he has just not had the time to build up enough fitness to cope with it yet?

He does have ad lib forage during the day, he has two large haynets overnight. He's worked hard over the last 4 months increasing his fitness, something we've had to be careful with as he had stifle surgery. Happily he's now back to full work.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Not an odd thing to say Two Stroke, theres minimal starch and plenty of fibre in the Spillers cubes, despite them being a competition feed. I agree with Amymay , horse isn't currently getting any feed other than for light work and its clearly not giving him enough energy.

TwoStroke

Visit site
Not an odd thing to say Two Stroke, theres minimal starch and plenty of fibre in the Spillers cubes, despite them being a competition feed. I agree with Amymay , horse isn't currently getting any feed other than for light work and its clearly not giving him enough energy.

Horses get most of their feed from FIBRE. Therefore he's getting plenty of energy from all the fibre he's being fed.

But as I said above, I'd go for oil based feeds from here, and avoid sugar and starch.