Feeding for sparkle, but not fizz!

HayleyUK

Visit site
Hiya,

I have a 14.2 connie mare, currently fed 1/2 a big round scoop of alfa a and 1/2-1 little square scoop of hi fibre nuts. Shes in at night and out on good grazing during the day for about 4-5 hours.She has 3-4 flakes of hay at night, and if shes in on a morning for a couple of hours shes given another flake then while shes in.

She ridden most days doing 30mins ish in walk and trot with a couple of short canters but is being worked in a bungee and asked for an outline, something shes not used to doing really. Shes warm after this work, but fully clipped so shes not sweating.

She came quite fat, but I've got her to a better weight now and I'm happy for her to be this weight just want to work on her being fitter now.

I've taken her off haylege as it makes her fizzy, strong and a bit of a pain. Also, makes her IMPOSSIBLE to catch for some random reason? Odd little girl!!

I've noticed shes being a bit quieter which is what I wanted, but I'm wary that shes going to be too quiet as her work increases and we get out doing more.

Any suggestions on adding to her/changing her feed for a bit more energy and *sparkle* without the fizzy strong horrid little madam she becomes on haylege.
Considering adding some speedi beet to her feed, opinions?

Thanks
smile.gif

xx

cobstar

Visit site
Hi, I have just started feeding my horse on Top Sped feed balancer (Leisure Time). Probably been feeding for about a month now. Henry seems to be going really well on this and he has the sparkle and energy but without the fizz. I feed just below the recommended level as I have just started working him again and I feed this with chaff (hi fi light). Given that he has not been worked for 3 months whilst i was doing my exams he was a star the first time I rode him.

My mum is feeding Triple Crown EvenKeel to her TB and he also seems to be doing really well on it and he was a horse that really can fizz up but he seems really very contended and amenable at the moment.

PennyJ

Visit site
Yes we use the spillers instant response mix too on a 14.1 NF. He's very laid back and idle, this just gives him the "sparkle" and more stamina (I mean his energy lasts longer) without making him silly. He gains weight without trying, he gets 1/4 large round scoop with 1/2 D&H Fibergy and Blue Chip Lami-lite. Probably a bit less hay than your pony.

Nats_uk

Visit site
Recommend Baileys Outshine which is oil based - it works like a supplement so you can feed as little or as much as required.

My horse is quite sharp but I found a handful morning and night of Bailey's Competition Mix helped give him back that edge that he lost in the beginning of the summer.

suzysparkle

Visit site
I won't feed anything other than Baileys. It may be pricey but you feed less of it and mine has changed so much on it. He gets Lo-cal and outshine all year (I double the outshine in winter) and lives out 24/7. Has plenty sparkle but no naughtiness and he has a really shiny coat. The Baileys nutrition team are great...plus you can do knowledge tests and get fab freebies as a prize!!

Nosey

Visit site
Baileys top line cubes? But echo the other point about the helplines attached to each feed company - I have only used D+H's one but they were excellent and imagine all of them provide a good service.

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
I second about the spillers instant energy mix - fab stuff !!! Also you could try an endurance mix such as saracen enduro 100 or baileys no6 (I think) gives my mare alot more fuel in the tank without being silly.