Feeding ground linseed...opinions

RylandLodge

Visit site
I was feeding two of our horses linseed regularly last winter and again this winter....then I ran out and actually wondered why I was feeding it. Does anyone else feed linseed, if so why and what benefits? Or why not and for what reason?

Thanks lovely horsey people!
H x

Leah3horses

Visit site
Another PSSM horse owner here. I also use it as an extra, low starch, high fat protein source, with soaked chia seeds which is an ever better protein source for PSSM ...my other 2 also have a bit of linseed all winter, it's great for skin and coat , keeping a bit of condition on for less good do ers or even metabolic types. Micronised linseed is a much better option to add to organic chaff and a good vit& min powder than highly processed, human food production waste based , soya heavy , pre prepared commercial bagged feeds.

RylandLodge

Visit site
Another PSSM horse owner here. I also use it as an extra, low starch, high fat protein source, with soaked chia seeds which is an ever better protein source for PSSM ...my other 2 also have a bit of linseed all winter, it's great for skin and coat , keeping a bit of condition on for less good do ers or even metabolic types. Micronised linseed is a much better option to add to organic chaff and a good vit& min powder than highly processed, human food production waste based , soya heavy , pre prepared commercial bagged feeds.

Thanks Leah3horses,
Is micronised the same as ground? I've also wondered about using liquid linseed oil but the ground just seems like such a better, more natural and raw source to me.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I feed (micronised) linseed as a source of non heating calories, it's proved a good way of keeping condition on my lad as cereals send him loopy! Not the cheapest, but definitely worth it to keep condition on and not be riding a rocket all winter.

millikins

Visit site
I've been feeding it for several years, started because I have a now elderly connie who's a poor doer but fussy with it. Like Windandrain mine all have good feet and healthy coats. The only downside I've found is that all mine turn into punks, I buy them with nice neat manes and within a couple of months they look like the Last of the Mohicans.

vhf

Visit site
I use it for high impact calories for a horse with a small appetite, but also for the Omegas, and therefore coat/hooves etc. I believe it's also good for their guts. I swear though that when they're on it, the mud brushes off more easily, and the birds do a daily muck-spread so I don't have to... !

RylandLodge

Visit site
I've been feeding it for several years, started because I have a now elderly connie who's a poor doer but fussy with it. Like Windandrain mine all have good feet and healthy coats. The only downside I've found is that all mine turn into punks, I buy them with nice neat manes and within a couple of months they look like the Last of the Mohicans.
I
Millikins, thanks this made me laugh! Our TB arrived with a mane that would rival David Bowie!

HeyMich

Visit site
Thanks everybody, and how much do we all feed?

H x

I feed the Pure Feeds linseed mash alongside their Fibre Balance for the 2 I have that need the extra calories in the winter. I add 1 mug to their evening feed, well watered. I'm not sure how it compares to other brands of ready to feed linseed, volume wise, sorry. I really like using it, they both look happy and healthy, and are coping just fine living out in the challenging scottish weather we're having.

millikins

Visit site
I
Millikins, thanks this made me laugh! Our TB arrived with a mane that would rival David Bowie!

I kid you not, it's healthy hair but seems to grow thicker, stronger but upwards :) Re feeding, the connie has about 3/4 of a large mug, the dales, 2 shetlands and welsh A sized pony have about the same between them. The dales in particular puts on weight easily but it's so good for their feet that they all have some.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I feed about half a feed scoop (the small ones, not the Stubbs type), but adjust the amount up or down if I see him lose/gain weight.

Mouse&Bay

Visit site
Yes, love whole flax seeds (Linseeds). I use them for the healthy omegas and to help keep condition. Easy to increase or decrease as required, if one is starting to look a bit thin a bit more flax can help keep weight on. As we enter into winter (Ontario, Canada), I up them to a full mug per day (about 200 g?) with the skinny one getting twice that. They also love it and will lick every morsel out of of their feed bin. Much healthier and easier to feed than oil, with one mug equivalent to about 800 calories.

I should add that I feed whole flax and have for years. Big debate out there on whether whole is still properly digested. I’ve stayed away from micronized or ground as the antioxidants and omegas you are looking to add are very sensitive. They degrade quickly. My philosophy is that I’d rather lose some quality omegas to lack of digestibility as opposed to feed poor quality ‘stabilized’ that is very digestible. Your mileage may vary, I’m not sure there is a correct answer on this but lots of opinions!