Feeding hay from the floor without it getting trashed!

tobiano1984

Visit site
All this wet weather has got me to thinking about the horses coming in for winter, and I want to be organised this year! I want to feed mine from the floor this winter, I ended up using haynets last year because it all got so messy and a lot got wasted.

So - lets have your suggestions for methods please! The Hay Bars look smart, but at £75 a pop I can't really justify it for 4 horses. Plus 2 of them like to rub their bottoms on any protrusions in the stable so would probably sit on them anyway...I've had a sheet of plywood bracketed in the corner but this also became a bum rubbing station. One of them developed a cough eating out of the wood arrangement because he spent all night with his face wedged in it. Loose on the floor isn't really an option as the youngsters just walk it around and poo all over it.

I don't seem to have left many options, but hopefully someone has a genius idea! Aside from the physical benefits of feeding off the ground, not stuffing haynets will save lots of time hopefully!

eggs

Visit site
I find the hay tends to get trashed when fed off the ground if they have more than they need. Try cutting back a bit and gradually increasing the amount until there is just a handful left.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I cut the top of a blue 45 gallon drum and feed it in that. Easy to move about and quite deep so hay stays in there. I also use them to soak haynets. Very useful things!!

Poo Picker

Visit site
I had haybars in two stables, one the horse sat on it and pulled it off the wall and the other one just pulls the hay out and spreads it around the stable!!! So watching this post with interest.

JillA

Visit site
Fix some boards across a corner
haybar1.jpg

or I know some people who have used a rubber stable mat, cut so it tapers and fixed to batterns on the wall

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Big rubber troughs. I have round ones but you can get oblong. Useless for scratching on , heavy enough to stay put and easy to wash out.

Annagain

Visit site
Google image "homemade haybar". You can make something similar just by putting a sheet of ply across the corner of the stable. Even better, if you put a frame up with a groove on either side so you can slide the sheet of ply up to sweep the old hay out.

There's also something similar to a hay bar that's made of a frame and a piece of strong webbing like material. Not sure what it's called or if it's any cheaper / better though sorry.

hollyandivy123

Visit site

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Following too. I also use big plastic cold water tanks. My horses still toss the hay about and waste it. I hate haynets but if I put the same amount in a net they eat it all. OH has tried to make a grid that sits on the hay and keeps it in better but the horses just tilt it sideways. Has anyone a method that works? All suggestions gratefully received....

turnbuckle

Visit site
Wheelie bins bolted to the wall, with a cut-out at floor level. Probably a catch on the lid would be useful.

There is a risk of feet getting caught in the hole, cutting flush to the floor and the sides of the bin will minimise that.

Rlister89

Visit site
I saw this advertised through Facebook the other day, not sure about the feed bucket being higher as always feed mine off ground but maybe for licks/salt/grooming stuff - http://www.saddlery.biz/stubbs-munch-station.html

Not sure about the price though, but could maybe make your own version somehow and if it had something over the top it would hopefully stop them pulling it everywhere, until they learn how to remove the bucket i guess!

Dexydoodle

Visit site
I bought a wooden compost bin, fine so long as you've got enough space in your stable. Cost me about £30 i think and can move to sweep underneath easily, they're slatted as well so shouldn't have the same cough problem

curio

Visit site
I had haybars in two stables, one the horse sat on it and pulled it off the wall and the other one just pulls the hay out and spreads it around the stable!!! So watching this post with interest.

yep my welsh flicks it out spreads it around then redunks his wet hay so is netted and tied into hay bar. the cob will eat nicely from it but rubs on it though. but with wet hay my haybars are made of wood and wooden stables im finding the wood getting wet and smelly :(

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
Do they leave it in them or flick it out all over the floor? And do you just attach the trugs to the wall? And do you use the massive 75 litre ones? Sorry - lots of Qs :)

i think they are the massive ones yes, you can easily fit 4/5 slices in them.

we have clipped them to the wall with quick release clips but it depends how much of a pig the horse is, 1 of ours pulls a bit out but doesnt mash it in to the bed, the other would waste a lot but now its clipped to the wall he cant tip the trug over and thus cant get it all over the floor.

DD

Visit site
I tried just about everything and in the end gave up and installed old fashioned hayracks. they still manage to trash hay by pulling it out of the top, giraffe like. its over night its a problem as have to give them lots to see them through the night so they get a rack full and a net.I'm hoping to keep them out as much as possible this winter rugged if necessary. then I feed hay on the floor in the field and they still trash it walking it into the mud.

nikkimariet

Visit site
i think they are the massive ones yes, you can easily fit 4/5 slices in them.

we have clipped them to the wall with quick release clips but it depends how much of a pig the horse is, 1 of ours pulls a bit out but doesnt mash it in to the bed, the other would waste a lot but now its clipped to the wall he cant tip the trug over and thus cant get it all over the floor.

photo_zpshkxuaeqp.jpg

Like this :)

dianchi

Visit site
Or tub trug with haynet secured in them- has worked before and likely to need for my youngster this winter!

There is the amazing haynet/pillow things but they are mega pricy!