Feeding - ideas wanted

scattynuttymare

Visit site
My 28 yr old mare has been on sugarbeet over winter to help keep her weight on. I ran out yesterday and don't want to get another bag as last year i didn't use it all and it went off. (Wasted more than I used!) No one else uses sugarbeet on my yard either so sharing isn't an option.

I though about putting in a bit more hi-fi to bulk out her feed. Or maybe getting a bag of HoneyChop to add to it as this molassed... or something else that isn't to pricey!

She currently get 1 scoop of Hi Fi, 1/2 Leisure Mix and a load of carrots

She lives out and doesn't get hay unless really cold or wet cos to be honest she doesn't eat it!

What do you think?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
If you get a bag of sugar beet, either pellets or shreds, the unused portion won't go off as long as you store it properly (dry, cool place) so you will be able to continue using it next year too. If you bought Speedi Beet instead, although a little dearer, you can use it after soaking for just 15 minutes; that shouldn't go off either.

Meant to say, if you stored it properly, unsoaked SB should not go off at all from one winter end to the next; I use a dustbin with a good lid and it always keeps perfectly in there.

TGM

Visit site
If you are concerned about keeping weight on her, you could swap the Hi Fi for something in the Alfa A range which will contain more calories.

Regarding the fact that she doesn't eat hay, have you had her teeth checked as a common reason for veteran horses not eating their hay is dental problems.

scattynuttymare

Visit site
Have been using speedy beet. The left over beet was sealed up in a bag and then put inside a feed bin but when i went to it beginning of this winter it was grey instead of the nice dark colour. I assume it had gone off!
crazy.gif

scattynuttymare

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you are concerned about keeping weight on her, you could swap the Hi Fi for something in the Alfa A range which will contain more calories.

Regarding the fact that she doesn't eat hay, have you had her teeth checked as a common reason for veteran horses not eating their hay is dental problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was thinking about Alpha A but its a bit too pricey just for her (I'm not stingey really!!)....my others can't have it as are laminitcs.

Have had her teeth checked about three weeks ago vet said she's got the best set of nashers he's ever seen on an old horse and couldn't believe she was 28
smile.gif
She has never been a fan of hay eating not much more than just one slice if any.

TGM

Visit site
Have you thought about adding some type of vegetable oil to her feed? It works out quite cheap as it is a concentrated form of calories and is a good way to boost condition, plus gives a nice shiny coat too.

scattynuttymare

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have you thought about adding some type of vegetable oil to her feed? It works out quite cheap as it is a concentrated form of calories and is a good way to boost condition, plus gives a nice shiny coat too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Already add oil to feed
smile.gif

appyjude

Visit site
What about going with the Hi Fi Senior......it is not expensive and will give you more calories for the scoop. Or their Fibremix senior then you could do away with the leisure mix altogether.

laura_1983

Visit site
mollichaff showshine (smells and looks great, just got a sample through)? its suitable for laminitics but im not sure on price, or applechaff which is only around a 35/£6 a bag but not suitable for laminitics i dont think!

i was advised not to use honeychop as its a cheap feed and it shows, havent actually seen it myself though and i have to admitt iv been back on their website recently looking at it again, if you decide to use it can you let me know what its like?

pickwickayr

Visit site
could you try alfa beet? its made by dengie and is unmollased sugar beet with alfalfa. it is quick soak and is great for putting weight on or maintaing condition. it is economical to feed - a bag costs £7 where i work, and that lasts for aaages. they seem to love the taste of it and being a mash its good for oldies.

Asimmons

www.apricotfox.com
Our oldies LOVE Badminton Horse Feeds high Fibre nuggets..nice big lumps but not hard.
Our regime for light/medium work: 2 feeds a day, ad-lib haylage.
Each feed: 1lb carrots,I bowl scoop Molli veteran,half bowl scoop nuggets,handful anti-lam top spec ,third scoop speedi-beet, handful mint, one dose codlivine, 1 dose garlic, splash of cider vinegar. We soak the molli and beet togther ,mix well and add the rest on top when the water has been absorbed and mix up a bit.