Feeding large rounds in the stable

tankgirl1

Visit site
Does anyone do this? Having a nightmare with storage and can't afford to feed small bales - and no where to store them either come to that!

I've a 14hh cob and a shetty sharing a huge field shelter with a gate across the front at night so it would easily fit, just worried about them pulling it to bits and trampling on it!

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated, thankyou

Gift Horse

Visit site
I've got a big bale small-holed net that goes over a large round, I feed on hardstanding outside the shelter.
The net stops the hay getting wasted, but my horses aren't shod in the winter when I use it so shoes can't get caught.

Leitrim

Visit site
Could you not get a round bale sheep feeder and tie it very securely on top of a large pallet to keep the base of the bale off the ground. The feeder would have to be the same diameter as the pallet (more or less) to prevent your shetland getting its hooves caught in the spaces of the pallet. The cob could eat out of the top of it and the shetland from the lower half.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Could you not get a round bale sheep feeder and tie it very securely on top of a large pallet to keep the base of the bale off the ground. The feeder would have to be the same diameter as the pallet (more or less) to prevent your shetland getting its hooves caught in the spaces of the pallet. The cob could eat out of the top of it and the shetland from the lower half.

I think that would worry me, I don't mind some wastage from it standing directly on the bed, and they aren't fussy eaters either lol! It would still be much more economical than the alternative (small bale haylage), and much better for them. Thanks though

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Cradle feeder with large round in netted. Little to no waste and I am saving £30 a week after buying the net. My horses are not shod. A word of warning with rugged horses though, depending on the type of chest fastening it is possible for the rug to get caught in the net. I had one horse get caught wearing a rambo with the 'T' shaped fastenings. I just put a strip of gaffer tape on the fastenings.

16389305_801097880030879_1079936542_o_zpsgkipy9rs.jpg

tankgirl1

Visit site
Cradle feeder with large round in netted. Little to no waste and I am saving £30 a week after buying the net. My horses are not shod. A word of warning with rugged horses though, depending on the type of chest fastening it is possible for the rug to get caught in the net. I had one horse get caught wearing a rambo with the 'T' shaped fastenings. I just put a strip of gaffer tape on the fastenings.

16389305_801097880030879_1079936542_o_zpsgkipy9rs.jpg

Wow OK they will fit a large round in then! I stand corrected! My two aren't rugged either as well as being barefoot - someone should probably call the RSPCA :D

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Without the net and look at the waste. Plenty of room for a big bale in a cradle feeder, the black on the left was 16.2 when this picture was taken to give you an idea of how big the bale and cradle is.

Just had a thought - before you buy anything, you will need the right kit to lift and net a big bale, you cannot spike it through the net without ruining the net. The bale needs to be on its end, remove the wrap and netting, drop net over top - there is a knack !, tractor with bale squeeze on forks then lifts bale and you have to pull the draw string closed and put a knot in. Bale back down and tipped onto side, bale squeeze grabs again and drops bale into cradle sideways not in its end.

The first time we did it my contractor was a little bemused to say the least, but now we can do it in 10 minutes.

Swallowfieldsdressagejan14012_zpsc7cc6169.jpg

Last edited:

tankgirl1

Visit site
My field shelter is no where near as big as your barn AA, its just like a big stable... and this would be hay so unwrapped apart from the netting.. I don't think I could afford a cradle feeder either... am I barking up the wrong tree with this idea?

rowan666

Visit site
I put full round bales in field shelter shared by 3 with one of those large net things over it, last about 6 days, I used to put in the field but they trashed it every time and it only lasted a few days no idea why!

Gift Horse

Visit site
We don't have any machinery for assisting with netting and shifting large round bales. We have to (wo)man handle them which is hard work but doable, but I only have two horses to feed.

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My field shelter is no where near as big as your barn AA, its just like a big stable... and this would be hay so unwrapped apart from the netting.. I don't think I could afford a cradle feeder either... am I barking up the wrong tree with this idea?

No, the nets could be used at ground level as long as no shoes, you would have to make sure the draw string is knotted and coiled up carefully so they cannot get that wrapped around their legs. With hay you could get the net over the top and then knock the bale over, might take two of you, then pull the draw string tight, the roll it into the middle of your shelter. I do think fed like this your horses do need to be sensible and non confrontational because the bale will take up space and potentially leave corners in the shelter to allow a bullying horse to corner a weaker one.

Alternatively, could you put it in a corner and tie it to a wall ?

ashlingm

Visit site
I don't have proper storage for my large round bales either!

I have it on a pallet beside a wall in the yard. I prop other pallets against it to keep it all together and stop stray bits flying off. If its going to be particularly windy I cover it with tarpaulin (under the pallets) and put rocks on top.

I don't mind much if it gets rained on as it only affects the outside layer ...a bit like feeding damp hay. I just pull off what I need and then prop the pallets up against it until the next day :)