Feeding once a day

Magda

New User
Visit site
Hi .I have 2 Ponys out 24/7 on hillside approx 5 acres.as they were on heavy side I left them on the land even though its grased down.theres furze and various different parts.they have started to drop the wheight and I introduced a little hay and non molassed beetpulp with a cereal free balancer.they are not rugged.my question. is bringing hay and feed once a day ok? How much would they still be getting from the land? Il be moving them to another paddock which has last years growth once its safe from frost and growth starts .reason is I dont want them to get the sugary first growth and to rest the mountain.

be positive

Visit site
I feed two of mine just once a day, they are not eating much so it easily lasts until the next morning although I am on site so if they need more it is easy to do, if yours are dropping too much weight then try to give them enough hay so there is some left by the next visit and adjust the quantity until you feel it is right, mine are very well and not really hungry but if the weather changes I expect them to get through more.

TGM

Visit site
I agree with bp that if they start dropping too much weight then it would make to increase the hay ration when you visit. They don't necessarily need two bucket feeds if they are getting plenty of hay. Presumably you have someone casting an eye over them as well as you, in order to spot illness or injury?

Magda

New User
Visit site
I feed two of mine just once a day, they are not eating much so it easily lasts until the next morning although I am on site so if they need more it is easy to do, if yours are dropping too much weight then try to give them enough hay so there is some left by the next visit and adjust the quantity until you feel it is right, mine are very well and not really hungry but if the weather changes I expect them to get through more.
Thank you.that makes sense.and I can work with that.😊