Feeding raw game

miller

Visit site
Just a quick question, we have a working cocker rehome (OH planning on traIning him for gun work) we have a hare carcass but not sure if he is OK to eat hare bone (bits we don't eat) He is on dry kibble gluten free feed and non gluten training treats (seem netter for tum!)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Should be fine, maybe don't give him massive amounts if he's never had it before. Saying that, mine were fine with a whole rabbit each.

gunnergundog

Visit site
If you are intending to work the dog it may be better to skin the hare first.

My dogs regularly get rabbit, venison and pheasant etc but whilst I feed raw I remove the jackets before feeding so there is some distinction between what is for eating and what is for retrieving. Probably unnecessary as dogs discriminate to environment IME, but it keeps me happy and so far I haven't had a dog decide to have a quick chomp half way back during a retrieve. :D

miller

Visit site
That's brilliant, thanks guys. Will be separate to kibble and he tested a mouthful of offcut meat last night - not sure he's ever had raw meat as didn't seem to know what to do with the first piece lol - had been skinned already as skin going to be used to make a training aid for a springer belonging to mate of OH's