Feeding Salt, what do you use ?

catkin

Visit site
I use table salt from the village shop.

Make sure it is the regular stuff (sodium chloride) not the 'low' salt which has potassium in it, not really what you want to counteract potassium in spring grass!!!!!

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I tried to give up giving mine salt last month. Joe's droppings went so small and hard that I was afraid that he would get an impaction colic, so after 3 days I started it again and they were back to normal after 48 hours.

I'm not risking stopping it again any time soon.
Salt triggers the drink instinct so without the salt he might not have drunk enough.

jumbyjack

Visit site
I would never put salt in the feed, the horses were given a bucket of salted water so they could self regulate intake.

flat3

Visit site
My new horse is a good doer lives on fresh air type, and only has a handful of chaff once a day to host her Equimins Complete. Her salt lick is going down though, so I'm reading this with interest. It sounds like a lot of salt in her tiny feed, wouldn't it taste horrid?

ETA she lived out on no feed in her previous home but had a salt lick in the stable when she came in for faffing

Surbie

Visit site
Am I the only person to have a horse that really won't eat more than a teaspoon of salt?! I just gave up with him tbh but I might try the others with salt from now on.

Nope you're not. Mine is horrified if I increase it slightly so he gets what he gets and I think it's better than nothing. Also my salt lasts ages.

humblepie

Visit site
Mine does not touch a salt lick, either the regular old fashioned ones or the Himalayan ones, neither would my old horse. Bought them both licks and ended up giving them to someone else.

Nasicus

Visit site
I would never put salt in the feed, the horses were given a bucket of salted water so they could self regulate intake.
In hot weather, I offer a second bucket with salty water alongside their usual fresh water. It's always drained by the next day!

flat3

Visit site
My new horse is a good doer lives on fresh air type, and only has a handful of chaff once a day to host her Equimins Complete. Her salt lick is going down though, so I'm reading this with interest. It sounds like a lot of salt in her tiny feed, wouldn't it taste horrid?

ETA she lived out on no feed in her previous home but had a salt lick in the stable when she came in for faffing

Sorry to bump but interested in thoughts on this? It's the tiniest feed so 2 tbsps seems like loads!

ecb89

Visit site
Mine does not touch a salt lick, either the regular old fashioned ones or the Himalayan ones, neither would my old horse. Bought them both licks and ended up giving them to someone else.
Neither will mine. He won’t even touch the tasty likit ones. Only thing he will lick is a horselyx

Charley657

Visit site
I had no idea feeding salt (other than providing a salt lick) was a thing. One of the things I like about this forum is just how much knowledge a lot of you have. Quick question though, do you use the same quantity of table salt as you would sea salt as sea salt tastes far nicer and as a human but I need less of it on my plate in order to taste it. If I were to use the same amount as table salt it would be far too strong.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I had no idea feeding salt (other than providing a salt lick) was a thing. One of the things I like about this forum is just how much knowledge a lot of you have. Quick question though, do you use the same quantity of table salt as you would sea salt as sea salt tastes far nicer and as a human but I need less of it on my plate in order to taste it. If I were to use the same amount as table salt it would be far too strong.
I put in about a table spoon of table salt twice a day , mine gets a half scoop (dry) of Fast Fibre twice a day.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Am I the only person to have a horse that really won't eat more than a teaspoon of salt?! I just gave up with him tbh but I might try the others with salt from now on.
No mine won’t. I found that if I used a tiny amount I could then up it. They still wouldn’t eat much but I go on the theory anything is better than nothing.

GoldenWillow

Visit site

My dustbin of a cob is horrified at more than a tiny sprinkle of salt in his token handful feed, it gets tipped over, pawed at and looked at in digust. Since he's only been in very light work the last couple of years I gave up but if workload increases so that he actually sweats I would like to try again. I've always used standard table salt.

One thing I find is that it goes damp and clumpy in its original packing and even worse if I put it in a supplement tub, does anyone else have this problem or ideas on what I can do?