Feeding Sharps/Thirds/Wheatfeed and Copra meal.

Florrie

Visit site
TB has suddenly decided to stop eating his Solution Mash :rolleyes: it's been suggested to me to try Thirds (knows as Sharps/Wheatfeed) or Coolstance Corpa Meal. Feeding to gain weight.

Has anyone tried them and what are your experiences?

(Also doesn't Thirds need to be fed with Limestone Flour to balance out the calcium/phosphors levels?)

khalswitz

Visit site
Mine has gone onto solution mash, and was funny about it to start with. I bulk it out with alfa a oil and a cupful of fast fibre as he LOVES the taste of FF but just higher in starch and sugar and lower in energy. Works a treat for me.

I came the other way from feeding ERS pellets which could be an option??

Florrie

Visit site
Mine has gone onto solution mash, and was funny about it to start with. I bulk it out with alfa a oil and a cupful of fast fibre as he LOVES the taste of FF but just higher in starch and sugar and lower in energy. Works a treat for me.

I came the other way from feeding ERS pellets which could be an option??

Never considered ERS pellets, he's only in light work and we do Showing twice a month and schooling 2/3 times weekly so don't want anything that will send him in to orbit! Are they useful for weight gain? :)

khalswitz

Visit site
Never considered ERS pellets, he's only in light work and we do Showing twice a month and schooling 2/3 times weekly so don't want anything that will send him in to orbit! Are they useful for weight gain? :)

They are very high energy (13mJ/kg compared to 11.5mj/kg of Solution mash), my lad is great on them but a poor doer which is important. However I don't feed to recommended rates, as they are designed for racehorses so I feed much less and use a balancer instead. Fab for weight gain on my boy as all oil and fibre. They also aren't that dear - I'm £14 per 15kg :)