Feeding Sugar Beet

The Ford D Series as a horsebox is....

• Total voters

hussar

Visit site
Yes, because I think it's a valuable addition to a feed in terms of hydration.
Molassed because it doesn't seem to make my horses fizzy the way it affects some others.
No opinion on age.

teapot

Visit site
All the RS had/have it (worked there for 3yrs) - great way of giving them slow releasing energy and helps with weight in the winter

amzy

Visit site
yes, molassed shreds in winter to bulk out feed and keep weight on. Certainly good for older horses but I don't know about the very young.

Fairynuff

Visit site
All of mine get in throughout the year (unmolassed). Its got an exellent calcium content, is rich in fibre and contains between 90 to 120 grams of crude protein per kilo. As mine are all OAps ,it keeps their bones healthy, their intestines working and is great for getting liquids into them when they may have lost the instinct to drink enough water. I wouldnt be without it and Ive always fed it to all age groups with no problems. Mairi.
smile.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Yes, the horses love it and it bulks up feeds too, especially as my lot are not keen on chaff (of any description) very much. Use shreds in the winter but have had a sack of Speedibeet for the summer and would use it again if necessary.

Can't remember the question for 2 - ooops!!

Won't feed it to foals before they are 7+ months old, their guts aren't developed enough for it so I've been told by one of the best stud managers in the country, so I'm not going to argue with him or create problems for myself just to prove him (and others) wrong; not worth it in my opinion, I can wait a few more months before it is safe for them to eat it!

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Won't feed it to foals before they are 7+ months old, their guts aren't developed enough for it so I've been told by one of the best stud managers in the country, so I'm not going to argue with him or create problems for myself just to prove him (and others) wrong; not worth it in my opinion, I can wait a few more months before it is safe for them to eat it!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - same! Even thoguh the calcium levels are the right way round for developing bones, it can really interfere with their hindgutt microflora at a young age!

RachelB

Visit site
I don't feed it - only because I've never bothered to find out why you would! If I did some research and discovered feeding beet would help my horse, then I probably would.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Don't feed Sugar Beet - it really upsets H - makes her whizzy - I was also told by my vet that it causes more problems than it helps - so that double made sure that I didn't feed it!
Kate x

Nari

Visit site
I don't feed it because although my older one loves it even the unmollassed type seems to upset his stomach - he ends up with very loose droppings when given even small amounts.

seabiscuit

Visit site
No I dont feed it- gave F the runs,and Owen never liked it- I used to only give him a handfull and he used to pick at it. Then I had Sara Coppin do a reading for Owen...and she said 'he hates the black stuff you feed him, he doesnt need it'! so I stopped feeding him, and he now LOVEs his food, he picked at it before.
So have had consistently bad results with sugar beet, think it is useless, wont touch it again.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
no I don't, I have used speedibeet in order to put condition on underweight and neglected cobs quickly, but you know when they're full cos they turn grouchy.

I'd never ever use it normally - I don't like having grouchy horses just to be able to say that they eat more than just chaff...

Fairynuff

Visit site
Just tagging on Dorey!
All those who have said"NO"to SB, please explain why you wont feed it? Those who have stated that their horses dont like it dont need to respond. Come on the rest of you, why dont you agree with it? Sugar beet has been around for a very long time and apart from the occasional horse who doesnt tolerate it, its a very useful feed and cheap. What do you think its going to do to your horse? If someone told you that Cornflakes were bad for your toenails, would you stop eating them? All those of you who have said "NO" for no good reason are denying their horses an excellent source of calcium, fibre and slow releasing energy(plus your probably paying a fortune for a supplement which does the same but is overpriced) Cant get my head round it-Mairi.
confused.gif

Tia

Visit site
I feed sugar beet in the winter to all of my guys of varying ages. It is an excellent "warmer" and all the horses here like it.

Nari

Visit site
Mairi if you look at the replies it seems that most of the "nos" have given a reason & mos of them are based on their horses reaction when they have fed it. I don't dispute that it's a good & cheap feed but as I said before it doesn't suit my ridden lad & I'm damned if I'm buying & storing seperate feed for the youngster when he does fine on a smaller amount of the same feed.

burtie

Visit site
No I don't feed it. Would do if needed to help with condition, but haven't had a horse that's needed it for a long time. I feed virtually no hard feed anyway. We get reasonably good quality haylage in with the livery so I feed that pretty much ad lib. Along with 2 small snacks a day.