Feeding Thoroughbreds

cellie

Visit site
I have slender tb who does very well on calm and condition and fast fibre.Will be on haylage from tommorrow ,as much as she can eat.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
If alphalfa doesnt blow their minds then add the pellets to hi fibre nuts then i feed a mixture of millichaff orig and mollichaf hi fire alphalfa.

Then sugar beet on top. If the look a bit peaky a coffee cup of Corn oil in each feed and a naf general supp.

My Poor doing TBx is looking rather portly, oh and I switched to hayledge this year as well.

Nikki xxx

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
Mine gets haylage over night and a feed of endurance mix,micronised barley and alfa a and keeps his weight really well on this. He is out for 10-12 hours a day in all weathers and is still nicely porky on this :D

Kenzo

Visit site
I've had to put mine on a diet, due to not been able to work her due to the weather, however she's not a rangey type of TB, she's quite a good doer to be fair, but I have had others of that type on the below who have done well.

But she was on the below when she was fit and doing a lot of work:-

Sugarbeat (speedi)
A&P Fast Fibre
Alfa A High Oil
Hi Fi Lite
Bailey's No.6 Endurance Mix (great for weight actually if you double the amount and reduce work, low starch, slow release energy)
Powerdered Cod liver Oil fed in the energy ration not just the supplement ration.

Also had results with the weight and muscle gain supplements, if your horse tends to hot up on grains, this can be a good alternative, however many of the ingredients used you could just add yourself to a simple fibre diet, like flaxseed and vegitable fats (although some animal fats are used) as well as a supplement like pink powder to help the gut for better digestion of the food.

Toast

Visit site
My tb can struggle with her weight, ive managed to find a balance that works for her.
She gets:

Allen & Page Old Faithfuls Special Blend
D&H Just Grass
Speedibeet
Sunflower oil

She gets this twice daily with ad lib haylage
x

Solstar

Visit site
I've had great results this year with Hi Fi Senior, Basic Nuts, Flaked Barley and Calm & Condition. Ad-lib Haylage is provided and NAF HAylage Balancer. One is a full TB, 17yo, the other is a 3/4 TB x, 26yo.

Dot1

Visit site
We struggled to keep the weight on ours too without him throwing someone into next week or being a 'challenge' to handle.

In the end we found Alfa A and D&H Fibre nuts and pink powder worked well. Instead of two feeds a day, we did three which really helped bulk him out. Oh and lots and lots of hay..

Early on we found that he was sweating condition and weight off, so were giving him electrolytes on days he was worked which was 5/6 days a week. I'm guessing thats not an issue right now!

Tried different feeds but in the end for him it worked being really simple rather than spending lots of money on different feeds. But maybe we were lucky!

kellyfoss

New User
Visit site
:)I have a 16.2 5yr old ex-racer and have owned him since he was 3. When i first got him I tried winergy equilibrium, which he did well on but still wasnt carrying as much weight as I would have liked - plus he wind-sucked terribly, so I also used the global herbs supplement for this. Then I came across simple systems - and we've not looked back since. In the summer he has a combination of lucie cobs (soaked), blue bag grass pellets and the total eclipse balancer. Now the weather is foul and everything freezes we've switched to lucie pellets, greengold, blue bag grass pellets and balancer. He has hardly windsucked since he has been on this food (6mths) and is looking fab. Non-horsey husband watched him frolicking about in the indoor school last night and commented that he could notice a difference in his condition - enough said! I would recommend you give the helpline a call as they are very friendly and knowledgeable. Good luck!

PennyJ

Visit site
The best feed we ever came across for a couple of TB's who would put themselves on hunger strike/drop weight without even blinking was Blue Chip or Top Spec Balancer, Spillers H&P nuts and HiFi. No beet. Once we put them onto this, they never looked back and we didn't have any more anorexic episodes from them. It was lovely to see them "bare", all well covered and shiny, instead of with bones jutting out and generally looking like rescue cases. And no silliness either.