Feeding Times

Princess16

Visit site
This is a question for those of you whose horses live out 24/7. Do you go up to feed them at the same time every day (inc weekends) or do you go up as and when given they're not waiting in a stable but are out and what time do you get there for in a morning ? Obviously this applies mainly to those whose horses are not at home.

I try to stick to a routine but it's not always possible as I work so sometimes feel guilty about it.

emmad96

Visit site
Mine are fed once a day, and that's anywhere between 5 and 9pm, and checked in the morning between 7 and 11 usually.

I read somewhere that if you are going to be irregular, just be irregular about it, that way they aren't set in a 'it's such and such o'clock lets crowd the gate' mentality.

luckyoldme

Visit site
ours come in at 730 during the week and 830 at weekends. Mine lives out with three others and they all come in to individual pens for their feed, granted they are all stood waiting and a little bit more eager at the weekends, but it works for us, they get their feed quietly with no fighting and i get an extra hour in bed saturday and sunday!

Equi

Visit site
Just whenever i have the time. I don't have a routine at all with my lot, but they still know when i come to get them its time to come in. When they refuse to come in, i usually take that as the start of spring and they won't get in again for a few weeks lol

Groom Mum

Visit site
I try to be there by 10.30am at latest for their breakfast. They are usually peering out of their shelter for me by then. Then at this time of the day im chasing the daylight ( i hate it) do im usually there by 4.45pm otherwise it gets too dark to see as my lighting is rubbish. Although each week its getting darker later which is such a relief.
I would feel guilty if I wasn't there around that time in the morning, im sure they would be fine, but i would still feel bad !.

AppyLover

Visit site
Fed at around 8.30am & 6pm on week days if I'm feeding but sometimes its anywhere between 7am and 9am in the morning and 1pm and 5pm in the evening if I'm not on weekdays.

Weekends is normally no later than 11am and then again around 5pm if i'm feeding