feeding to hot them up!!

MillionDollar

Visit site
There is no such thing as feeding a horse to hot it up. It's like me eating 20 mars bars and saying right I can run the marathon now!

Here are some of my lecture notes from my degree to explain...

feed4.jpg

feed3.jpg

feed2.jpg

feed1.jpg

My Welsh D was SO lazy when I first had him, I had to pony club kick 3 or 4 times to actually get him to move. But he soon learnt that if he didn't move from a small squeeze he'd either get a whack up his bum or a firm boot in the ribs. Didn't take him long to realise and now he's 99% of the time in front of the leg (and he won both of his BD Elemenatry tests last week).

trickivicki

Visit site
Trickivicki, I think you and I have the same horse!!!! Have first comp with my new one on Sunday, practised the tests last night and he just wouldn't MOVE, I was huffing and puffing and booting. I agree though, it IS definitely a training issue, one which, as of tonight I'm working hard on (going to get two long schooling whips like someone suggested) HOWEVER, that won't help me before Sunday.

Do you think this would work? If so I'm starting mine off on porridge oats tonight lol.

Do you wet the oats or feed them dry? Have fed oats once before, years ago but can't remember. I normally wet his feed.

I have been making up the porridge with water and mixing it in his food BUT I made this technique up so really could be very wrong.... he hasnt died yet though x

trickivicki

Visit site
There is no such thing as feeding a horse to hot it up. It's like me eating 20 mars bars and saying right I can run the marathon now!

Here are some of my lecture notes from my degree to explain...

feed4.jpg

feed3.jpg

feed2.jpg

feed1.jpg

My Welsh D was SO lazy when I first had him, I had to pony club kick 3 or 4 times to actually get him to move. But he soon learnt that if he didn't move from a small squeeze he'd either get a whack up his bum or a firm boot in the ribs. Didn't take him long to realise and now he's 99% of the time in front of the leg (and he won both of his BD Elemenatry tests last week).

in which case, it has a great placebo effect for me (maybe thinking forwards going horse= forwards going horse?)

trickivicki

Visit site
ooooh interesting test today!!

5 weeks ago we did P4- in the torrential rain and howling wind with a judge in a silver 4x4 and got 47%! (3 zeros......)

Today we did P4- in the torrential rain and howling wind with a judge in a silver and got 62% (no zeros.....)

I think that definitely shows some kind of oaty based improvement?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Top spec turbo has worked for giving my pony zing before a comp :)

Daily she has a small double handful of alfalfa, a small splat of allen and page P+P and a small splat of beetpulp, she gets this twice a day just to give her summat when the other horse is getting his :)

Before a comp she gets a a scoop of alfalfa, a scoop of P+P and two cups of Turbo twice the day before then in the morning the same before we head off and this gives her plenty of zing then we go back to normal in between times :)

Bag of turbo is lating me 8 weeks this way and Im out a fair bit at the minute :)

irishdraftlover

Visit site
Top spec turbo has worked for giving my pony zing before a comp :)

Daily she has a small double handful of alfalfa, a small splat of allen and page P+P and a small splat of beetpulp, she gets this twice a day just to give her summat when the other horse is getting his :)

Before a comp she gets a a scoop of alfalfa, a scoop of P+P and two cups of Turbo twice the day before then in the morning the same before we head off and this gives her plenty of zing then we go back to normal in between times :)

Bag of turbo is lating me 8 weeks this way and Im out a fair bit at the minute :)

i second top spec turbo, my 16.1 pure ID can be quite lazy but have tried this couple of days before comps and it has given him some real sparkle (competing at novice)

willtowin

Visit site
Supplements wise - Red Cell or NAF EnerG. The NAF one either is a daily liquid supplements or a syringe one like Magic that you give to them on competition days :)