Feeding to prevent ulcers & promote condition.

Roisin_M

Visit site
Hi!
I'm about to take on a horse that has suffered in the past with stomach ulcers, he's 8yrs old and a typical stressy TB.

He really needs to put on some weight & condition, at the moment he's not doing any work, but i am going to begin gentle slow work, lots of road work and light schooling with the intention to eventually regulary hunting and some small comps.

So i've been scouring the web, books to find feed that is suitable and good for ulcer prone horses. Is anything in the below list a total no-no? would you personally recommend any of them?

Here is the list, I obviously won't be feeding it all at once!

allen & page Fast fibre
Spillers conditioning fibre
alfa a oil
alfa a balancer
hi fi balancer
rapeseed oil
veg oil
olive oil
flaxseed oil
unmollassed sugar beet
sugar beet pulp
alfa beet
pink powder
equine gold biotal
gastro gold
limestone flour

Thanks for reading!

lizzi2

Visit site
Flaxseed oil should help and it's not on your list, but soya oil is another good oill.
Anything that's higher fibre should be more likely to be helpful. Some feeds suit different horses better than others - so wouldn't want to say that one thing will definitely work. Also, Aloe Vera gel can help promote digestive health and maybe worth trying.

whizzer

Visit site
My poor doer tb has had them, I feed the spillers conditioning fibre anyway as he loves it, he also had linseed, sugarbeet & the top spec cool condition cubes. Spillers slow release cubes are suitable but the top spec ones are more calorific. I was advised by vet to try re-leve which he did eat but its pricier than the TS cubes & I'm on a tight budget due to all his surgery bills for a sinus problem(the vets stays & surgery then caused the ulcers!) l was also recommended ERS pellets which I'm tentatively trying as he is very feed sensitive. I don't use any pure alfalfa products as he can't tolerate alfalfa & I tried all the dengie low sugar things but he just wouldn't touch them. I do also feed haylage which us sometimes contraindicated but ours isn't rich at all do decided to risk it.

minniemouse

Visit site
my horse has a very sensitive gut, i was convinced he had stomach ulcers as he displayed alot of the signs and had loose droppings and major issues when being girthed and also major nappying issues under saddle. I have done a lot of research over the last 2 yrs of owning him, had a full vet check, bloods and scoped in september.... the scope came back clear of stomach ulcers but still loose smelly droppings, hard to keep condition on and he was very stressy at times. He also virtually stopped eating our very good quality haylage last winter which was very worrying so i fed a fibre substitute and ready grass.

after researching hour upon hour on the internet i came across hindgut acidosis, spoke to my vet about it and she agreed after doing a sample of his droppings that there was no infection but slightly higher acidic droppings so i have changed a few things,

fed only adlib HAY no haylage as per vet instruction( vet says alot of horses digestion can't cope with the higher acidic levels of haylage).

3 small feeds a day of half scoop speedibeet, half mollicaff fibre condition and a small cup of topspec cool cubes, also add charcoal to his feed at night and morning feed i add equimins innerbalance probotic.

Well after 2 yrs of research over the last 3 month i now have a different happy horse! he's put lots of, condition on, has nearly firm droppings and is loads better to ride!! his spooking has improved lots he now isn't tense when i try to saddle up and is a lot more relaxed and happy.

i honestly think it was the charcoal that made the big difference to him, just google gas ease or happy tummy, it makes the gut less acidic and carries toxins out , it was my last resort to try as i never fed him cereals anyway but now he is on half a small scoop a day and the probiotic and fingers crossed he is still fine. hope this helps.

p.s i also tried magnesium calmer which made no difference , aloe vera and liqorice but none of these worked for him.

Last edited: