Feeding underweight horse.

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
Taking on a very underweight hacking horse. Has been vet checked. Just over worked and underfed.

I am a great fan of equerry mash. Has worked wonders on two others I have fed up.

I am also very keen on Max gut health.
Obviously small meals, ad lib hay. As much turnout as possible.

What else would you recommend / which chaff and balancer...

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Linseed, ready grass and a good balancer along with beetpulp pellets soaked with grass and alfalfa pellets in a big trug for free access in the stable, plenty of good hay/haylege are my go tos for putting weight on.

I have to say I do rate the equerry mash as well but It depends how thin the horse is. I prefer fibre and oil and good hay/grazing and a start off then add different feeds if required. I also put on a youngstock balancer like suregrow even if it’s an adult horse. I used that to help put weight on my older horse along with the above he got five small meals a day and free access to the trug of pellet mix.

Winters100

Visit site
I think you will find that with ad lib hay, lighter work for a period of time and multiple small meals (I feed my poor doer 6 times a day when I need her to gain), you will find that the horse looks better in no time.

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
I think you will find that with ad lib hay, lighter work for a period of time and multiple small meals (I feed my poor doer 6 times a day when I need her to gain), you will find that the horse looks better in no time.
I am sure he will. One I had earlier this year looked amazing in a month and unrecognisable in 5. This one has just worked too hard for the amount of feed and forage he has been given. Can't wait to get my hands on him and see some magic.
So I am thinking

equerry mash. It has linseed already - would you add extra?

graze on (or ready grass if I can get it) instead of chaff

balancer - any suggestions.

max gut health supplement

angel7

Visit site
Please check the history of the horse if you can, been burned many times buying underweight horses who turn out to be underweight for a reason, either suffering pain somewhere or kept lean to keep them rideable, once conditioned turn into nutters.
Ask why is the horse underweight? Is is being worked for hours and if so what will it be like with lighter work? Is it to keep laminitis away? or is it the other way, balloons in weight once fed well and cant move athletically?
Good luck

Lady Jane

Visit site
I woulod call someone like Topspec, their advisors are really helpful and actually advised me what I was feeding was suitable and not to change anything (I wasn't feeidng their products. Max Gut Health is good stuff. I wouldn't over do things too fast - I would start with good quality grass nuts, adlib hay, and balancer. When my lederly horse was struggling to gain weight my vet (and Topspec) recommended grass nuts - my vet said many of the conitioning feeds are like mars bars - lots of sugar and starch. Linseed is generally considered (but make sure its good quality. Balancer - so many to choose from, I use Formula for Feet - Topspec said that was a good product. I'm sure we would all like to see pics now and in the future to compare.

If he has been under fed and over worked I would definitely hold off concentrates - you may find with lots of good quality forage he is quite a different horse and just doesn't need them.

Regandal

Visit site
Decent balancer - pro earth, Forageplus or Equimins Advance. They’ve got the right ingredients in the correct ratios, a lot of the others contain fillers or simply not enough.

I'm Dun

Visit site
My poor doer gets pink mash, sensi care, extra linseed and alfaa, as well as a decent mineral balancer, amino acids and vitamin e.

Winters100

Visit site
I am sure he will. One I had earlier this year looked amazing in a month and unrecognisable in 5. This one has just worked too hard for the amount of feed and forage he has been given. Can't wait to get my hands on him and see some magic.
So I am thinking

equerry mash. It has linseed already - would you add extra?

graze on (or ready grass if I can get it) instead of chaff

balancer - any suggestions.

max gut health supplement

I don't really know those brands that you mention, but mine gets:

St Hippolyt grass cubes
Beet pulp
Spillers high fibre cubes
Oats
Saracen Re-leve mix
Micronised linseed
Hoveler Reformin Plus
Biotin
Sizarol joint supplement
St Hippolyt Irish Mash a couple of times a week
Dengie Hi-Fi senior chaff
Unlimited hay 24 hours a day

To be honest I am not really sure if it is an 'ideal' diet, but she looks good on it and is full of life.

Good luck and let us know how he gets on:)

jenni999

Visit site
A&P Veteran Vitality - even if it's not a veteran. Or Saracen Show Improver Cubes. Both good conditioning feeds without the heating up.

TGM

Visit site
If you are planning on feeding the Equerry mash at the recommended rate, then you won't need a balancer as well, as the mash is a complete feed and is already supplemented with vit/mins.

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
If you are planning on feeding the Equerry mash at the recommended rate, then you won't need a balancer as well, as the mash is a complete feed and is already supplemented with vit/mins.
That's really helpful. That's the bit that confuses me.
Would you then say - equerry mash plus readigrass ?