Feeding younger rabbits

BlackRider

Visit site
At what age can a young rabbit be given fresh greens?

I've also read conflicting advice on how much hard feed to give - some say ad lib pellets until 6 months?

He has plenty of hay and is eating lots of that.

(I've only ever had older rabbits before)

Griffin

Visit site
I have fed rescue rabbits greens from about three months in very small amounts and then built up gradually. They key is to introduce very slowly and keep an eye for any changes in poo, if it goes softer, cut down the green stuff and give hay for a day or two until it settles (obviously if it goes very runny or they stop eating, you have to call a vet).

In terms of pellets, personally, I feed a small amount (usually just enough to cover the bottom of the feed bowl) because ideally you want the rabbit to eat a diet that consists mostly of hay. If you think of pellets as a balancer (the rabbit digestive system is similar to horses), you're topping up their vitamins and a bit of protein but they are ultimately designed to eat lots fibre. A healthy rabbit poo looks almost golden because it is full of hay.

You may want to add in a probiotic if you're starting to change their diet to support their digestive system. I like Protexin or Avipro.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I gave mine small amounts early on. I don’t give lettuce and salad stuff. I pick out walking the dogs!
plantain is really good and very easy to get now. They also like willow (complete with branches) cow parsley, dandelion.
I got a little book off Amazon called foraging for rabbits.

BlackRider

Visit site
I gave mine small amounts early on. I don’t give lettuce and salad stuff. I pick out walking the dogs!
plantain is really good and very easy to get now. They also like willow (complete with branches) cow parsley, dandelion.
I got a little book off Amazon called foraging for rabbits.
Thank you - I'll get that ordered :)

Redders

Visit site
The book I use is Called Foraging for Pet Rabbits by Twigs Way and is sold by the RWAF via their website. The money goes to the RWAF charity so for a good cause too. If you can’t find the amazon one then I recommend that one.
I also recommend a FB group called Wild Nutrition and Foraging for Pet Rabbits (NO BREEDERS), it’s a great resource and they will identify photos of plants you see to see if a safe feed

BlackRider

Visit site
The book I use is Called Foraging for Pet Rabbits by Twigs Way and is sold by the RWAF via their website. The money goes to the RWAF charity so for a good cause too. If you can’t find the amazon one then I recommend that one.
I also recommend a FB group called Wild Nutrition and Foraging for Pet Rabbits (NO BREEDERS), it’s a great resource and they will identify photos of plants you see to see if a safe feed
Fab thanks - have ordered that one :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
This! Sorry, I’m so used to Amazon being a one stop for all.
The rabbit welfare site is where I got it.

Redders

Visit site
The FB group I mentioned also does a guide book With money going to rabbit rescue charity, and that is excellent too, I would recommend both of them, but then it’s the kind of hobby I have these days! RWAF also do a Gardening for Rabbits book by the same author - I have that one too and is great for the cultivated plants and if you wanted to make your own rabbit safe roam patch

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The FB group I mentioned also does a guide book With money going to rabbit rescue charity, and that is excellent too, I would recommend both of them, but then it’s the kind of hobby I have these days! RWAF also do a Gardening for Rabbits book by the same author - I have that one too and is great for the cultivated plants and if you wanted to make your own rabbit safe roam patch
I’ll go find it. Thanks