Feeding Youngstock

Charmin

Visit site
Just wondering what everyone else feeds their youngstock.

My 9 month year old is on what the breeder gave us but it's quite high cereal content.

He's growing steadily, he's about 13.1 at the moment.

He's out 24/7 with haylage and looks fine weight wise - we've kept him a bit lighter so he has a light covering over his ribs. Just would prefer to switch onto something less cereal based but with enough nutrition to help him growing without overloading it, seeing as he's going to be a reasonable height.

Thanks!

TPO

Visit site
I just posted pics on the "rising 3yr olds" thread of my youngster.

I feed him soaked grass nuts, grass chop, linseed, a small amount of copra and Progressive Earth Pro Balance +. He mainly lives out (has stable if I want/need him in) and has adlib big bake hay in the field.

Personally I share your concerns re feed. If my youngster was in good condition it would be grass and hay. If they needed more I'd try to add calories without cereals

WelshD

Visit site
My gelding (2 in April) has sugar beet and unmolassed chaff with Equimins Advance Complete vit/min powder. He gets a small single handful of stud nuts in his treat ball now he is stables at night

pootleperkin

Visit site
Sure grow balancer fed as advised, and a handful of Mollichaff calmer split between two feeds a day, plus as lib forage. Pic of him in comp forums under how are your two year olds looking.

orionstar

Visit site
Feed nothing with a very high protein content, and nothing high in cereals. Ad lib hay/haylage, non molassed sugarbeet, chaff, and if you need to a pasture mix for horses not in work. If you're not feeding mix then add a broad spectrum vit and mineral supplement in.

Hurricanelady

Visit site
All my horses (2.5 to 21) get Equimins Advance Concentrate Complete, a very good vitamin and mineral supplement. They all get it with some Fibrebeet, Micronized Linseed and grass chaff, and the two older horses in full work get additional rolled oats according to their workload. Ad lib haylage and hay (horses in full work) and hay (youngsters). Supplements according to age and specific needs: Rosehips, MSM, Boswellia, Meadowsweet, Turmuric, Magnesium Oxide and custom herbal blends from Equinatural. They all do very well on this fibre based feeding regime.

NU ABO

Visit site
My 18 month old ISH gelding is currently on a half Stubbs scoop of Dengie Hi Fi Original with a cup (I share my ridden boys TopSpec 250g measuring cup for this) of Yearling Cubes by Dodson and Horrell (they're designed for TBs and I figured as he's 3/4 TB they'll be fine)

I personally think he's looking great on this and haven't even needed to think about supplements. Eventually I'll take him off the yearling cubes and either put him on TopSpec's comprehensive balancer or Cool Conditioning balancer.