Feeds that have sent your horse loopy!!!

Ginger Bear

Visit site
As the title suggests just wondered if anyone has ever swapped the horse onto a new feed maybe a similar type of feed but just a different make or maybe just the same feed but with a new ingredient and it has sent there horse a little loopy.. Just interested really:D

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I think my TB mare was affected by Readigrass a bit and she also seemed to hot up a bit when she was on Alfa A and Mollichaff. She is now fed on a chopped straw chaff with no molasses or anything added, speedibeet and high fibre cubes and seems calmer (although it could all be in my imagination of course!)

SmallHunter

Visit site
My gelding goes loopy on most feeds.

He can't have anything with large amounts of alfalfa in or sugarbeet/speedibeet/ calm and condition etc. No cereals or anything with too much sugar. He also can't have haylage sends him banana's.
It can be quite difficult as he is a poor doer as well.

whizzer

Visit site
Practically everything sends my horse nuts! Anything chaff that's very alfalfa based,readymash,coolstance, winergy,pasture mix, in fact most mixes I've ever tried except strangely can cope with build up mix! Pegasus nuts,any conditioning cubes bar the top spec ones. Readigrass, calm & condition. A&P weight gain=the reaction was epic!!! This is the feeds I can remember there's been too many feed trials to remember! Life with a poor doer feed sensitive TB that's also now had gastric ulcers is interesting & expensive!

Ginger Bear

Visit site
Was just interested really but there has been a definite change in my boy since I switched him to the hifi original with the apple pellets added.. It's definitely sent him a bit nuts!

Ginger Bear

Visit site
Practically everything sends my horse nuts! Anything chaff that's very alfalfa based,readymash,coolstance, winergy,pasture mix, in fact most mixes I've ever tried except strangely can cope with build up mix! Pegasus nuts,any conditioning cubes bar the top spec ones. Readigrass, calm & condition. A&P weight gain=the reaction was epic!!! This is the feeds I can remember there's been too many feed trials to remember! Life with a poor doer feed sensitive TB that's also now had gastric ulcers is interesting & expensive!

What sort of reaction did you get? My horse is also a tb, I usually feed him on hifi, Saracens livery pencils pony cubes, speedy beet and a vitamin/balancer..

whizzer

Visit site
Varies tbh anything from very strong & spooky to ride(& he's strong normally!) but being fine on the ground to be so nuts on the ground that I won't even get on him! Fidgety,stressy,he was out of work when I tried coolstance but after he spent 5 mins cantering backwards & forwards on the leadrope in the gateway to field I realised it was the feed! I've had him for a long time but it took me a long while to realise most of his erratic behaviour was food! It's only this year I clocked that too much alfalfa sets him off! The weight gain stuff was poss the worst a 3/4 lesson turned into nearly 2 hrs as instructor wouldn't accept his behaviour & I cried nearly all the way home! He's a sharp horse anyway but manageable but some feeds just make him so nuts he just won't listen,then stresses the weight off so defeating the object anyway. However those days are over as got him sussed now(only taken 13 yrs!) I do have the odd experiment but I now know the early warning signs!

Janette

Visit site
Mix. She is ok on cubes, but give her mix and it's like feeding her rocket fuel - even the same energy levels. Found it like this with Spillers and Baileys.

Baileys conditioning mix- Far too much energy, completely OTT.
Baileys conditioning cubes - much more sensible and rideable.

Since I put her on Alfa A and Top Spec, she's even better.

Ginger Bear

Visit site
Ahh thanks for that.. I changed his hifi about 7-8 days ago and his behaviour has been really erratic for the past 5 days.. Really stressy, calling, a little bit stallion like over a mare in another field, I've never known him to be like this. I just gave him hay last night and today.. Kept him in today as was being a bit of a danger to himself yesterday.. Had ad lib hay all day, rode tonight and seems back to normal..

whizzer

Visit site
For years I was stuffing mine with alfalfa oil & calm & condition & the using calmer supplements all the time to take the edge of him!
If only I'd twigged earlier would have saved myself a fortune & not spent years wishing I'd never set eyes on him!

Mike007

Visit site
Honestly,I have never had a horse that reacted to a particular feed!Being overfed ,yes,but the actual feed never mattered.

applecart14

Visit site
As the title suggests just wondered if anyone has ever swapped the horse onto a new feed maybe a similar type of feed but just a different make or maybe just the same feed but with a new ingredient and it has sent there horse a little loopy.. Just interested really:D

Badminton Horse Feeds mix sent my first horse very weird. He suddenly developed a phobia to everyday items like a bucket or a lead rope. He would snort and act terrified, the one day it took me about 20 mins to try and persuade him the sweat scraper wasn't going to chew him into little pieces and spit him out. Someone on our yard had recently swapped her ponies onto it too and she said hers were reacting in much the same way. Very odd.

coss

Visit site
not loopy as such but weird reactions yes... soya oils - makes him hypersensitive, basically running round the field bucking and looking like he's been stung by a wasp - hot/sweaty and itchy but no rash etc - means i have to call the vet for antiflams though.

a very odd one, NAF seaweed - made him twitchy itchy (and my other horse at the time had itchy feet, i thought she was being bitten by something round her fetlocks she was stamping so much!) - other brands, absolutely fine.

depurple1

Visit site
My horse also went nuts on apple HiFi. I bought it because the shop ran out of normal HiFi - he's fine with that and he's fine with apples so I thought why not? It sent him loopy pretty much straight away, and after about a week I gave the rest of it away and went back to Original.

Ginger Bear

Visit site
My horse also went nuts on apple HiFi. I bought it because the shop ran out of normal HiFi - he's fine with that and he's fine with apples so I thought why not? It sent him loopy pretty much straight away, and after about a week I gave the rest of it away and went back to Original.

What was his behaviour like? I can't think what else it can be..

dollymix

Visit site
Dolly is the most chilled out horse in the world...I decided to up her feed a bit as we were doing distance rides so bought Readigrass....it sent her absolutely barmy!! Seriously, it was like riding a kangroo! Wouldnt ever dare give this to Luna for fear of sending her into orbit!!!

katastrophykat

Visit site
My section D is on quite a lot when he's in full work- Alfa a, and competition cubes at the start of last season, then he hit a big of a brick wall (was doing HDT and about 15 to 20km a day to keep him fit) so I added competition mix. For the first three days he was demented, then settled down... But I do remember him hacking up a field (after a bloody good gallop) and spotting a TB walking down the road towards him (easily 300 m away...) je watched it, watched it some more then turned tail and fled! Tb and rider were left looking at dust. Oddly enough, he's a very forward gelding normally- if there's a new horse about he's much more likely to run AT it than away from it!

leah_x

Visit site
The red bags of alfa sent my laid back TB wild. Barley Rings have also turned him into bit of a wolly, but they are they only feed that has actually got him to a nice weight.

superted1989

Visit site
Not had a problem with mine (he's on the same feed as he was with previous owners, 7 years of the same diet, if it ain't broke don't fix it!).
However, my friend's mare is very feed sensitive. She has EPSM and has a cereal free diet. The worst thing ever was one called feed and fibre, recommended by the vet. She was a total psycho horse, to the point of throwing herself on the floor. She only had 3 meals and the rest of it was given away. Until a couple of years ago, November and December where 'bad behaviour' months. We had a lightbulb moment and realised it was sugarbeet!
She has power and performance now, with fast fibre during the winter and is fine!

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I wish!

Found that now my TB has settled down (i quite like him a little loopy and joggy, but not totally crazy and dangerous) and in regular work, whatever i feed him doesnt do a bleeding thing for energy levels! lol

Hes on Adlib Haylage, Alfa-A Oil, Sugarbeet and readigrass and have had him on Oats and barley over the summer. Nothing. At his last jumping show, he fell asleep outside the ring and i had to kick him to actually get him to move his feet rofl

He will go nuts in the field, but as soon as hes on a headcollar or im on board he is good as gold. I mean i wanted him to be good, but come on! He doesnt even pop in his usual excited flybucks, a short jog on the way home is all.

Hoping that some sort of High power comp mix may get him to sparkle a bit next show season xD

traceyann

Visit site
My cob cant eat baileys lo cal or sugarbeet unless i want to die. My spanish can not have anything with sugar my Tb can eat anything as allready very sharp My wb can eat anything dosent change him even oats and barley.

Nosey

Visit site
Sugar beet...even the speedi beet virtually sugar free! Took her on & off it a few times over 1st couple of years of owning her....same effect each time. Rocket fuel!