Feeds to disguise supplements for excitable horses?

Auslander

Visit site
Copra. Mine all love it, and it smells pretty strong, so disguises supplements very well. Non heating too - I can feed it to the sharp ones without blowing their minds

Ellietotz

Visit site
Copra. Mine all love it, and it smells pretty strong, so disguises supplements very well. Non heating too - I can feed it to the sharp ones without blowing their minds

Thank you. Would that be any good for a generally good doer in hacking work 3 times a week? It looks like it could be quite fattening!

JillA

Visit site
Bran, dampened. Very palatable and although it is starch, you only need a very little of it. Worked a treat for mine, even for nasty minerals they wouldn't touch otherwise.

Auslander

Visit site
Thank you. Would that be any good for a generally good doer in hacking work 3 times a week? It looks like it could be quite fattening!

It is a weight gain feed - but just a tiny amount to disguise supplements isn't going to make a difference. 1/2 a mug full will swell up to three times it's size when water added, so a little bit goes a long way.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Are you sure that you want to try yet another feed? I thought we had established on your other thread that she is having a lot of unnecessary sugar, if you cut that out and give it time to work out of her system (at least a week), you will probably see a huge difference without worrying about supplements for excitable horses.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Are you sure that you want to try yet another feed? I thought we had established on your other thread that she is having a lot of unnecessary sugar, if you cut that out and give it time to work out of her system (at least a week), you will probably see a huge difference without worrying about supplements for excitable horses.

Yes we have and I have stopped the other feed. I am just thinking about in the future when I want to feed the balancer for her feet. I was recommended Simple Systems haycare to soak and was going to mix a small amount of that with a handful of topchop zero. Just interested to know what others fed to get balancers and what not in and really to confirm if my decision for future feed is okay! :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes we have and I have stopped the other feed. I am just thinking about in the future when I want to feed the balancer for her feet. I was recommended Simple Systems haycare to soak and was going to mix a small amount of that with a handful of topchop zero. Just interested to know what others fed to get balancers and what not in and really to confirm if my decision for future feed is okay! :)

Sorry I misunderstood! I thought you were looking to feed a supplement aimed at excitable horses, rather than at feet. I seriously think yours will not be an excitable horse when you get the sugar and starch out of her diet, which if you are thinking about her feet, I am sure you will do. There is no point in feeding a supplement for feet if you are still feeding a high sugar/high starch diet.

Ours love soaked Agrobs Wiesencobs and will eat almost anything else in it, although we did have to build linseed up very gradually for one of them. The same horse hasn't noticed VitE powder in her feed, although she hated it mixed in with soaked grassnuts. Bran is very tasty and most horses love it.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Sorry I misunderstood! I thought you were looking to feed a supplement aimed at excitable horses, rather than at feet. I seriously think yours will not be an excitable horse when you get the sugar and starch out of her diet, which if you are thinking about her feet, I am sure you will do. There is no point in feeding a supplement for feet if you are still feeding a high sugar/high starch diet.

Ours love soaked Agrobs Wiesencobs and will eat almost anything else in it, although we did have to build linseed up very gradually for one of them. The same horse hasn't noticed VitE powder in her feed, although she hated it mixed in with soaked grassnuts. Bran is very tasty and most horses love it.

That's okay! I didn't explain properly! :)
Yes, her diet may be bland but it's for her own good! My local doesn't stock Agrobs sadly, I think the nearest is about an hour or so away but luckily they stock Simple Systems. I hope hay nuts will be enough to disguise the taste of the balancer when mixed with some chop and a bit of extra mint!
I haven't looked at bran, I'm nervous of trying anything now after the fiasco the other day!

minimex2

Visit site
my boy has 6 sups a day and been through pretty much everything to try and hide in.

after months or different things, wasting money and him not eating the thing that works is vetran light from allen &page. Its like the fast fibre but this one has few more tasty bits added and suitable for good-doers. Soak in 60 seconds and bag lasts about 2 months. He licks the bowls clean.