Feel like jacking it in ...

quirky

Visit site
Could she be out more? Grass livery? Would be a quick solution.
She could probably be out more, not grass livery though, it isn't offered round here.
To be fair to YO though, it is the mare who creates to come in, well at least she used to. That is why I moved her to a non diy yard as she'd only have to see somebody and she'd play merry hell to come in. She needs routine.
The only thing I haven't tried/found is somewhere with group turnout. That might suit her better than 1 buddy, not that she has ever been left alone.

Booboos

Visit site
Sometimes when things go wrong one after another and you are just pushed to your limits it becomes very difficult to deal with the next problem, even if it is relatively small in the scheme of things - I really feel for you! Unfortunately in these situations the small problem inevitably blows out of proportion and then it becomes yet another disaster to fit in around everything else. Should your horse suffer any health problems because of the lack of hay you'd then have the worry, the guilt, the time spent with the vet, the expense AND still have to find a new livery yard. If you possibly can deal with this while it is a, relatively, small problem.

CalllyH

Visit site
You say you only suspect not know. You probably do need to try to go up a bit more so they know they can't get away with it

quirky

Visit site
You say you only suspect not know. You probably do need to try to go up a bit more so they know they can't get away with it
No, I do know. I have tied the net in such a way that I know I am the last person to have tied it.
I've been up everyday, apart from when I had my daughter's birthday party, as stated in further answers :rolleyes:

Joeyjojo

Visit site
Don't give up, just find a new yard!! My first full livery yard was like this, if arrive at 7pm and she'd have no hay or water. Horse got skinnier and skinner and YO just laughed at me when I asked for her food to be increased and told me horses were supposed to look like that!

Anyway - it was a very stressful time, I felt awful and like having a horse was the worst decision I'd made in a long time. But then I moved yards. New place is so much better, my horse looks better than every, her attitude is completely different and its a joy to own her.

Can you say where you are? Recommendations are key I think so I'd be happy to help if I can :)

lara b

Visit site
Hi, in the short term would a trickle feed haynet help? Really slows mine down when I use it at shows and you can get a really big one so she will be encouraged to fill it hopefully. Think shires do some cheap ones. Good luck

montanna

Visit site
I would be moving yards.

I am on full livery, my yard are amazing and go to the end of the earth to help. After being on sh**ty yards in the past I wouldn't have it any other way

There are fab yards out there, even if you had to travel a bit further, if you are only going up every so often the journey might not be such a problem?

JadeyB

Visit site
That's not on, i'd definitely be looking to move yards. It is hard and time consuming finding somewhere new but it'll be better for the both of you in the long run.

I was at a yard once where the liveries got very small feeds and when it was mentioned, by several people, to the yard manager he said that he did not feel they needed more feed and he had to keep his costs down so my partner and i ended up taking additional feed with us in the evenings... it wasn't ideal so eventually we decided to move.

kezz86

Visit site
This...
And you are PAYING for this..?!?!? :eek:
and this...
Move.

Go DIY if you need to and get a groom.

You're paying for the service... You aren't happy with the service, speak-up and if nothing is done MOVE!

It's not good for your horse's health and it's not good for you to be worrying about it.

I'd be speaking up and telling them how I felt and if nothing was done leave without paying as you've not received the service you're paying for!

(You'd complain at a hotel if you didn't get the service you expected there wouldn't you?)

Look for somewhere to move to so that you have a back up plan if they do get nasty and "chuck you out" then tell everyone locally about their shoddy service!

ozpoz

Visit site
Loads of good advice here. I'd also move to somewhere I'd feel confident that my horse is looked after according to my instructions. There is no good reason to leave a horse without forage for 17 hours - no wonder you feel stressed with it.
Once you are happy with where she is you won't look back!

quirky

Visit site
Just to clear it up, I go up most days, regardless of being on full, so distance is an issue to consider.
As I am aware of her not being given hay, I can ensure she is given some when I'm up, in theory I shouldn't have to and know it is something the YO isn't keen on.
I've got a few yards to ring today, so I'll see if there is anything more suited out there.
Thanks all :)