Feel like packing it all in tbh !

Funkyfilly024

Visit site
Just having one of those sh**y weeks.
Horse has been an arse with the sharer. carting her into a tree and apparently bucking with her, its like he is another horse, however he hasnt bucked with me for over a year.
So then I rode friday and he bombed off a few times with me out of nowhere and was basically a massive pain in the ... he is ridden regularly about 5/6 days a week with lots of variety so I just dont get where its coming from

And I have a feeling that just because of one bad week she is going to pack it in, on one hand this would be ok because I think the sharer may be perpetuating bad behaviour by his learning he can get away with it, but cant be sure. On the other hand this is a pain in the ass if she does because I did state he was not a novice or childs ride and she bought her kids to ride him then wondered why he p'd around with them, plus I have had a lot of enquirys from other people I have turned down in the mean time as said he could go on loan to the right home, he jumps excellently thats what he is built for but she never jumps him. I dont blame her if she does but wish that she wouldnt have taken him on in the first place if she wanted something more suitable for novicey.
Went out to lunge him today and he kept on running off and pulling the lunge out of my hands and pegging it round the field, despite bringing him back he did it about 6 times, it now seems he has made himself lame in the process.
And then one of the other horsies has been constantly escaping from her field.
Could one mare being in season make the gelding funny?

Ahhhhhhh Im in one of those weeks everyone has atleast once where I just feel like packing it all in :(

Bravo if you read this far xxxx

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Now I'm not going to say the usual thing about 'have you checked...' because I am guessing that indeed you have, as like most sensible horse owners, you do this as a matter of course...

Is there any way you can borrow a horse to go and ride with her, to see if she IS allowing your horse to get away with stuff? Might give you an idea then of what to start with....

TallyHo123

Visit site
Ditto what Dragon Slayer has said.
Can you not borrow someone else's horse? It's horrible when things seemed to not go right.

Funkyfilly024

Visit site
Yes he had the usual checked out of regualar course anyway.

Hmm well I watch her ride sometimes in the arena but I never know if she rides diffenernt when Im around or if he behaves more because Im around, he knows not to mess with me as he has found out over the years thats why its surprising for him to put it on with me and I wonder if he is just testing what he can get away with with her and she isnt telling him no strong enough and he is taking something from that....

He isnt a novice suitable ride and I said that when I advertised, he is genuinly lovley beleive it or not and easy in good hands...

Gahhhh I have no idea..... just fed up and exhasted. I need a sharer I dont have the time he needs on my own with work.... :(
Meh.

woody2211

Visit site
i cant offer any other advise but i hope it works out. i had this with a horse i was sharing and because it wasnt my horse i was letting her get away with murder (due to my in experience) and i found it hard to tell some one elses horse off. as it happens i have now brought this horse (she is beautiful btw) but it took me a good few months to realise she is such a good horse but if you let her she wud be naughty like children i guess. had her on share for a year, cant say im a better rider but we have an understanding. :) and im learning every day
i hope your week gets better.
the previous owner came out with me and worked wonders i hope you can do the same x

MissSBird

Visit site
I think you need to make a decision. Can you (and do you want to) teach her to handle your horse? Or, for the safety of both her and your horse, is he maybe a bit much for her?

Funkyfilly024

Visit site
Well thats what im hoping she will be willing to work rather than give up the share just because of one bad week thats out of character..
Thanks woody its interesting to see it from the other side..
However she wants to use her own instructor, do you think I should insist she uses the same as me ??? I want us both reading from the same hymn sheet so to speak so he doesnt end up very confused with differnt method

shorexhorse

Visit site
Its fair to say that you want him learning from the same instructor. Have you tried talking honestly to your sharer and saying you've noticed a negative change in your horses behaviour? This might bring to light any problems, and would allow you to talk to her without pointing the finger so to speak.