Feel like SUCH a bad mummy tonight =[

JustKickOn

Visit site
Never had the experience of having a pee stained pony, but judging from some of the comment on here, it isn't all that uncommon. Horses were'nt bred to be kept pristine all the time with every dropping and wet patch removed from their stable every time. Some horses are just really messy in their box, not a lot that can be done about that.
And at least flamehead has done something about it now. Her horse's coat will soon start to drop anyway, don't really understand the whole deal over it. It's hardly a welfare issue, I'm sure the horse is happy and healthy :)
In regards to the mud comments, come to Warwickshire. We have lots and lots of glorious clay. Try cleaning that off when it's dry. :D

ETA: look at the palamino in my sig, 2nd pic from the right. The dark patches on him are Warks mud. No amount of curry combing and dandy brush with a full dose of elbow grease was shifting that! And He had a rug on when he was turned out. C'est la vie...

AshTay

Visit site
Seriously though, isn't there a balance between mollycoddled and spotless neddies and matted poo/wee stained coats?

My boy is out during the day (rugless and loves to roll in the mud) and in at night at the moment and he does lie in his poo/wee, etc. I groom him regularly really just to bond with him. And it gives me the opportunity to check him for lumps and bumps. He gets very muddy and damp in his armpits and can get sore if left to get too clogged (and he's a hairy native x). Especially now he's shedding he does enjoy a good scrub.

And in this damp and milder weather, matted wet and dirty hair IS a breeding ground for skin infections so even if you don't have the time or inclination to groom regularly any responsible owner should at least be looking their horse all over every couple of days to check for this. (Headtorches are useful for this...).

skewby

Visit site
I am with SusieT on this one, and pretty horrified at the abuse she's had.

Go to any livery yard, you will see filthy beds. Anyone who says "he/she's filthy, kicks it all about" just does not put enough in. I'd love to meet a horse with a bigger bladder than mine, but he never comes into contact with his own wee, not even in his hooves.

And as for "rubber mats with a sprinkling of shavings"...the biggest marketing spin crime ever.

Cedars

Visit site
I am with SusieT on this one, and pretty horrified at the abuse she's had.

Are you having a laugh? If you think my pony is abused you must be mad.

She's much better today I think it just felt so bad last night tbh. She really isn't that bad - and thankfully doesnt look too bald either!

I gave her a v quick brush off this evening with the shedding blade.

xxx

Clannad48

Visit site
I feel an invention coming on.........equine nappies!!!!!!

Ooh can I place an order - extra large dumblood ones - especially to stop her using the poo as a pillow at night.

Now are these going to require an extra large safety pin or will they be modern and be taped on the side

Just think of the bedding I will save.

Batgirl

Visit site
"If you think my pony is abused you must be mad."

I think she means the abuse SuzieT has had and I have to say I agree. SusieT never said they shouldn't be in contact with poo, she said they should have dry beds on top. Regardless of anything she has said in other posts I feel she is being bullied a bit fir a valid opinion which you sought in the first place, if you don't want to be criticised don't post things like this.

I don't think you are a terrible mummy for letting your horse come into contact with urine but I do think not realising your horse is matted is a bit poor. That said you have obviously rectified it and these things happen.

I also think you might have better luck with your bed not taking everything out, they are really fluffy when completely fresh and if you semi deep litter (I used to fully muck out at the weekend) she may dig less and be less likely to lie in the wee. Again that said she won't die from lying in it.

Persephone

Visit site
There is absolutely no need to be rude to Susie T.

She is entitled to her own opinion, as are you.

Try keeping a civil tongue in your head.

And FWIW, a dirty horse WILL be more prone to bacterial infection through skin trauma. Why do you think we all spend so much time clipping hair away from trauma/broken down skin.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
:confused: lunatic alert (instructor not you)

:eek:

I suppose this instructor found a giant mattress company that also stocks collosal duvets? It's a horse FCS :D

I understood then and I understand know. If we choose to stable our horses, the least we can do is make them a decent bed, one that doesn't stink of urine and is deep enough for comfort. I am lunatic, therefore I am.:D

Batgirl

Visit site
But a dirty horse will predispose to lice and skin trauma.

The key word is 'predisposed', that doesn't mean that healthy horses or kids don't get lice but that dirty horses/kids provide excellent breeding grounds for lice and bacteria.

SusieT has not at any point become abusive on this thread and I feel there is no need for base rudeness.

skewby

Visit site
Are you having a laugh? If you think my pony is abused you must be mad.
Did I say that?

But since you bring it back to your situation - any bed that can be entirely removed and replaced each day, is no bed. And yes, if I found a horse of mine to be matted, I'd be horrified.

Persephone

Visit site
I understood then and I understand know. If we choose to stable our horses, the least we can do is make them a decent bed, one that doesn't stink of urine and is deep enough for comfort. I am lunatic, therefore I am.:D

I will join you in your lunacy if I may?

I didn't realise having a clean and tidy bed and a clean, groomed, unmatted horse that doesn't smell of wee was so unusual?

skewby

Visit site
"If you think my pony is abused you must be mad."

I think she means the abuse SuzieT has had and I have to say I agree.
Gosh, didn't for one second think you would think I meant your mare. Hadn't even taken in was it mare or gelding or what, just the state of it. Yes, this poster is right. I thought my post was clear, evidently not to all. I shall be more careful in future.

skewby

Visit site
Very well said!

As for this entire post, I can't help feeling that the OP is in some way seeking a flaming.

miss_bird

Visit site
If anyone feels the need to judge other horse people so harshly then i will also stick my neck out and reply.
The stupidity of saying only dirty horses are prone to lice is a pile of shite, i have a yard of breeding and hunting horses and have had lice, there is many ways of getting them, e.g. round bales of hay, straw, fencing etc.
It is not just dirty uncared for horses that get lice, but maybe if i keep them all wrapped up in cotton wool and never let them out into the field to act like a horse i will never see one of the little bliters again, but you know what my horses are healthy and happy, yes even with them having had lice

Batgirl

Visit site
If anyone feels the need to judge other horse people so harshly then i will also stick my neck out and reply.
The stupidity of saying only dirty horses are prone to lice is a pile of shite, i have a yard of breeding and hunting horses and have had lice, there is many ways of getting them, e.g. round bales of hay, straw, fencing etc.
It is not just dirty uncared for horses that get lice, but maybe if i keep them all wrapped up in cotton wool and never let them out into the field to act like a horse i will never see one of the little bliters again, but you know what my horses are healthy and happy, yes even with them having had lice

No-one has said only dirty horses get lice.

Cedars

Visit site
Ok, enough.

I'm happy with the bed she has, I have never been to any yard where there ARENT wet shavings in the box in the morning.

However, I do need to get my act together next winter with the amount of hair she moults - I was just totally unprepared.

Thanks for all your advice =]

xxx

libertylou

Visit site
Sorry but she shouldn't have wet shavings to lie in at all, beds should be kept clean and dry, at all times. Wet needs to soak away, either by drainage if on mats or a thick bed of something.
Now that you know this is a problem you need to be particularly on top of this problem.

Erm, seriously??

Libby has a clean, thick, cosy bed of straw everyday before she comes in and when I turn her out in the morning she always has a pee or poo stain where she has laid, can't exactly stand there all night picking out wet and pooy bits of bed evertime they pass anything!

SusieT

Visit site
'aying only dirty horses are prone to lice'
Please point out the post saying this?
I prefer not to have words put in my mouth, something a lot of people on this thread have done..
I don't understand why you can't put more bedding down Flamehead? Particularly if you let a base build up, you will find the bed moves less (and is harder for them to dig up, they end to only dig up the top fresh layer but there are of course exceptions to every rule..) and urine will sink to the bottom. It will take a week or two or more to build up the base and requires a large amount of initial shavings but you will reap the rewards many times over.
Just remove the poo each day and add fresh shavings on top of wet as necessary. (Bank up the top layer when you remove the poo, then bring it down after wards to cover your base layer again and if neccessary add fresh iyswim).

SusieT

Visit site
Lots of you saying your horses lie in their own poo. But I haven't seen any saying 'my horse wees in the field then lies in it'.
For those who asked-my rugs don't smell of urine.. They smell of horse. they have poo stains on them. They have mud on them. All of this sloughs off quickly as it is simply dry dirt. I would not be happy with rugs smelling of urine on a regular basis.

alligator40

Visit site
alligator40-benign neglect is not necessarily a good thing you know..
I have horses living out at the moment, variety between clipped, rugged, unclipped, old and slightly less old. I'm very much not a mollycoddle, feed them supplements, hard feed them person. But a dirty horse will predispose to lice and skin trauma. Lice to anaemia. Skin trauma to infection, e.g. a mild skin infection. It is easily solved by more bedding, and a clean horse with healthy skin and coat is generally a well cared for horse.
I don't see the 'uproar of my posts' (does that even make sense??). I simply pointed out this is not an acceptable state, OP realises that, I defended my view to others, hence the increased number of posts.
I have yet to have a horse (including box walkers, who spray poo everywhere..) not have a dry bed in the morning, because there is enough bedding in there to soak up any urine. Poo stains, not much you can do about them really, I'll give you that.

Enlightening.
Thank you.

SusieT

Visit site
Ah, I am not surprised that came up. Expense is not an excuse imo for substandard care. A clean bed should only require 1/2 (2 if your horse is messy/on box rest) bales of shavings a week. Shouldn't be more than you are using at the moment?
What do you mean she trashes it? IT will move for the first week or so, then begin to settle. It may look messy at this stage. I appreciate she is a youngster, if she is box walking overnight perhaps she should be out overnight?
Ad lib haylage should also help to avoid messing the bed un neccessarily.

starbar

Visit site
Blimey....I feel a bit sorry for SusieT. She has only expressed her opinion and not been rude or offensive unlike so of those who have replied to her. In many ways I think she has a point :rolleyes:
Anway, thats not why I am replying. I had been trying to stay schtum til now but the lice thing has compelled me to join in! :p
There are 2 types of lice, the ones that live off skin and the ones that suck blood. Neither are particularly desirable. However! The skin eating type will be predisposed to live on horses that are not groomed thoroughly, regularly. This time of year is particularly bad as the weather is warming up and many horses get flakey as they moult.
I personally don't think there is any excuse for a matted coat and to not notice...these things don't happen overnight. And this is from someone who has a filthy, but unmatted, very hairy cob baby who has lived out rolling in mud and poo all winter. :)
ETA - my rugs don't smell of urine either

Last edited: