Feel like SUCH a bad mummy tonight =[

pastie2

Visit site
Another one who needs to get a grip!!
Good for you, you are very lucky that every horse you have had is so clean. Unfortunately not all horses are like this and some do genuinely lie on their own poo even when they dont have to, if you were that experienced you would know this!!!

Well Mozlarxx, I have very well bred horses, I have never owned common bred horses. Mine seem to have an in bred amount of house manners!

pastie2

Visit site
Apologies, Pastie, that my RESCUE pony that was taken from ABUSE isn't well bred!!!!!

Thought I was on UI FH. I am just joking as this thread has got far too serious!! Well done for saving your horse from ABUSE. Just make sure you dont let it lie in piss and get matted though!

Cedars

Visit site
You were but part of my self development bullwacky at the moment is learning to respect and accept people for what and who they are! xx

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
Well Mozlarxx, I have very well bred horses, I have never owned common bred horses. Mine seem to have an in bred amount of house manners!

Ahahahahahhah.....:D:D what nonsense, breeding is not relevant, my pure bred is middle of the road in terms of cleanliness, my neighbours Large TB is absolutely filthy both in the stable and the field.

Cedars

Visit site
Spring Feather would rather not discuss on forum as would rather there is no way she could be identified. Puz was born at the WHW farm so thankfully has not seen it first hand as so many of the others did. xxx

Cedars

Visit site
Do you know, I quite like you now!! xxx

Good!

Watch this space. At the moment I'm drawing Maslows hierarchy of needs into my journal. Soon I'll be drinking herbal tea, meditating and wearing flowing clothes whilst humming to the soothing tune in my head!!

lhotse

Visit site
With regards to using Bedmax shavings, I put a good layer of Megasorb underneath, and the Bedmax on top. I find this gives a bed that doesn't move around, is very absorbent, and a lot less dusty than the Hunter shavings I had used for years. I agree that Bedmax is not very absorbent, but it works fantastically with the Megasorb, and I find that it's only the Megasorb that actually needs replacing, the shavings on top remaining dry.

libertylou

Visit site
I bought my boy 2 years ago knowing he was prone to mud fever - i have all the stuff for it in my first aid kit but havent needed to use it yet - all winter i have not touched his legs - my yo, a very experienced older man, advised me to leave well alone - i have, not washed his legs off all winter and no mud fever!
I think leave nature alone - my boy has enough shavings to soak up his wee but not enough (like i first thought) that you could put a pitchfork through and not touch the base
Also re mud - let horses be horses - ive learned, its the horses who are washed off everday and brought in to sit in their stables daily for hours who have the problems - let your horses build some resistance !

So glad you said that, I have know libby since she was 3 (shes nearly 8 now), and have owned her nearly 2 years, she has always been prone to awful mud fever. Last winter I became obssesed with keeping her legs clean, putting cream on her sore bits etc, and it never improved- at all!
This year I haven't bothered to hose her legs off everytime she comes in and been less obssesed with keeping her clean and..... NO MUD FEVER :D She has generally been a happier horse this winter.

Hannahbelle83

Visit site
Grrrrrrrrrr!!!

This is why I rarely ask for opinions or advice on here anymore, because if anyone thinks you are doing something the "wrong" way then you get pulled apart to shreds for it.

My 16h horse gets a straw bed consisting of about 2/2 and a half foot banks (at least a foot wide) and about one and a half feet of middle bed, half a bale of straw a day. Every morning he has wee or poo on him, he loves to use his poo as a pillow. And dammit when I muck out I have to dig to find it! The pony I have gets a smaller bed (to scale for his size if you will) and he stays remarkably clean. Yet in the field he gets caked in mud and his fur gets matted (shock horror). I see that I am in line with not caring for my horse the right way.

I just don't know what we should do about the horses that live out or are wild, with no rugs, no-one to care for them, check they are ok. The ones with all the burrs in their manes. I mean, what about baby horses theat live out until they are ready for work... what should we do???

OP - your horse is lucky to have you, you spotted something not right and changed it, you care. There are a lot of horses that get left for days or weeks, even months, properly abandoned with no food or anything. That in my opinion is neglect.

I know how hard it is to hold down a full time job and care for horses in the winter and sometimes mine dont get groomed one day - when I had flu, it was a struggle to move! But they are happy with being fed and watered!

Some people need to lighten up!

Happy Friday!

Rouletterose

Visit site
Have been ignoring how filthy my youngster looks as shes SO hairy and lies in wee etc that I thought, leave it, will sort it out when its warm enough to bath.

Have barely seen her in the light for a few weeks, just enough to check no blood pumping from anywhere really.

Anyway, today I wanted a cuddle so ran my fingers through her neck...then through her armpits...back legs...sides....and she is just like one huge matt =[ anyway, I've cut them all off so now she looks like she's had a nasty accident with the lawnmower. Hopefully she's more comfortable.

Feel so awful =[

SO why did you bother to post the above on here then? if you REALLY felt so awful about it, surely you would have gone and hiddden in a corner? not tell the world about your bad housekeeping on here a PUBLIC forum? no....I think you just decided to see if you could get an argument going and it looks as though you succeeded doesn't it.

Just for the record I agree with SusieT and the half a dozen or so others that say there should be no stink of wee on a horse or their rugs. Even with rubber matting mine have a bed of 5 biles of shavings and the pee soaks through that. With our youngsters, if they were in at all due to very bad weather..straw was always put on top of that again, to ensure the beds stayed dry, there is nothing worse that the stench of old pee in a stable block, on the horses, or in their beds.

Next time you allow this to happen to the poor youngster concerned, just go and correct it don't bother to bleat about it.!!

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I'm clearly thick.

Even if I had 4 ft deep of shavings... and I chucked some water/pee on it from above, the shavings that it seeps down through will still be wet, after the liquid has drained to the bottom? No?

If something is wet from above surely no matter how deep the shavings they will still be...um...wet? :confused:

Or are we talking "puddles" rather than wet shavings?

mainpower

Visit site
I'm clearly thick.

Even if I had 4 ft deep of shavings... and I chucked some water/pee on it from above, the shavings that it seeps down through will still be wet, after the liquid has drained to the bottom? No?

If something is wet from above surely no matter how deep the shavings they will still be...um...wet? :confused:

Or are we talking "puddles" rather than wet shavings?

No... you get the small diameter "pee hole" where the pee hits the bed, the liquid drains downwards until it hits the stable floor or the solid base of a deep litter, then it spreads sidewards. The top layer will have a wet spot, not a patch. :)

tigerlily12345

Visit site
this was one of my favourites, literally 5 seconds after turning him out! i was stood by the gate, so you can see how far he got!
william1.jpg

Persephone

Visit site
Also ensuring that the bed is deep enough to keep dry on the surface, locks away the Ammonia that is so bad for horse and human to breathe.

At least I assume that's how it works, because my stable doersn't smell of wee or ammonia until I take back the dry at the weekend to remove the wet.

mollichop

Visit site
Has her turnout been increased? It seemed pretty limited given her age on a post from a few weeks ago.

She may be frustrated at her enclosed environment hence the digging at the bed and water throwing. Both can be natural behaviours but she is very young to not just be out and amusing herself with others.

Sorry if this is no longer the case but, if she were mine I would not have her stabled coming out of winter.

Also agree with mainpower, bed should not be wet on top, just the entry hole.

scrumpyjackles

Visit site
Have been ignoring how filthy my youngster looks as shes SO hairy and lies in wee etc that I thought, leave it, will sort it out when its warm enough to bath.

Have barely seen her in the light for a few weeks, just enough to check no blood pumping from anywhere really.

Anyway, today I wanted a cuddle so ran my fingers through her neck...then through her armpits...back legs...sides....and she is just like one huge matt =[ anyway, I've cut them all off so now she looks like she's had a nasty accident with the lawnmower. Hopefully she's more comfortable.

Feel so awful =[

OH MY GOD LEAVE HER ALONE !!!

ok so she is struggling with the light etc...arnt we all...some people are not lucky enough to have loads of time to keep grooming etc like i have !! from what i can read in this post shes a bit dirty (so what) ok she got a bit matted (so what) and she wees in her bed (dont they all) there are horses in the world in a far worse state than that ! and i think people are over exagerating about the shavings - she didnt say puddles and YES my horse always has some damp shavings on top in the morning and i put 6 in to start and two a week and hes not particularly messy ! so for goodness sake leave her alone ! and yes rugs my horse have worn start smelling of urine sometimes ( so i wash them ) and my horse has had lice before (dont know which type) but he is bathed frequently and groomed every day as we often compete BE and during the hunting season go out every single week ! just bad luck ! think everyone should back off a bit ! when i had ponys at home when i was 10'ish my gramps used to feed them during week for me and id ride them at the weekend - they were barely touched (used to spend hours pulling burrs out heir manes) but healthy happy ponys that lived til 30's ! so cut her some slack - shes trying