feel the fear and do it anyway... or not ?

katef2020

Visit site
So, I'm an over 50 ( cant quite believe that), menopausal rider in not too awful shape who has done some dressage for last few years as well as hacking , fun rides etc and starting some youngsters . However now I find myself enjoying showjumping again on a lovely horse thats meant to be my daughters, but who is a bit too big for her, so ive kind of acquired the ride on. He is fab and quite experienced and although very spooky, if i get him within a few meters of a jump will generally get me to the other side safely. My issue is that although ( 35 years ago) I used to SJ ponies and could see a stride and was super confident, now i find Im worried about getting it wrong, what people will think of me and letting down my lovely horse. I kind of hate the idea of it, but absolutely love it when i do it and am totally buzzed up afterwards !
Im fine doing a dressage test, so its def jump related. I dont really want to jump at home much, but love clinics ( think i need someone to tell me to man up ), and have in a moment of new year- new challenge madness , signed up for our RC area sj at 90. Now found out goes up 5cm in second round and another 5cm in jump off and am now freaking out as this is well out of comfort zone !
its in 3 weeks time and so far ive done a few clears at 85 and done clinics higher - do i just go for it and see what happens- or do I accept I am now a cautious old bag and stick to 80, thats assuming I can remember the course in the first place of course. My horse has the ability and i think i have the physical skill to do bigger, it is purely mental demons that are worrying me. I have a clinical Pschyology background so know all the self talk tricks BUT would really like to know how anyone else dealt with these old bag nerves - and how it went when you went outside your comfort zone ?
Any stories or tips to share _ THANK YOU in advance.

Cob Life

Visit site
I would try putting it up to 90, 95 and 100 at home where theRe is no pressure. Focus on your rhythm, position, balance, line and the rest will come naturally.

If you're comfortable jumping 90 then 100 isn't much more, you're jumping it already if he ever over jumps even slightly!

greenbean10

Visit site
Yes would do the first and see how it goes / how you are feeling! If your horse is honest and has the scope there’s no reason 1m will be any different to 80cm - he’ll just jump it the same! He probably won’t even notice the difference as it’ll all look small to him. I jumped the RC qualifiers a while back - was my first time ever jumping 90cm - I missed to everything but somehow got 3 clear rounds ? Don’t think the horse was bothered the slightest! Also it won’t be built like a BS course the oxers will be narrower.

I’d say go for it. Your horse sounds great and most should be able to get around 1m (even with some dodgy strides) with no problem! Good luck xx

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If it is a team thing, how would you feel if you decided to pull out after the first round? I ask this as there are 95cm courses and 95cm courses! Unaffiliated jumping tends to have narrow spreads and affiliated wide ones, plus the technicality of the courses, dressing of the fences etc changes. I have seen a few people train under one type of fence and then be surprised and aghast when at the show it is the other type of course.

If you would be able to pull out without pain and have already entered then I would go. The 90cm course sounds very achievable as you have been doing that at clinics and have been doing 5cm lower in competition successfully. You sound well set up for that.

If you are then presented with a mahoosive 3rd round, that you don't think you should do, you can pull out.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
5 cms sounds a lot but it is only 2", that is nothing really (says I who gave up jumping years ago). I do agiity and my large dog has been jumping 65cms. Jump heights have changed this year and she will now jump 60cms. I thought there would be a really noticeable difference but there isn't, so 5cms for a horse really isn't much at all.
Be brave. I always found I could jump much higher in competition than I could at home. Go for it and enjoy.

oldie48

Visit site
I can't comment of the jumping side of things as I no longer jump but I can on the age thing. Over 50 is not old and to find something that gives you a buzz and gets the adrenaline going is IMO better than almost anything that I can think of (but I do lead a rather unexciting life). Enjoy every minue of riding your lovely horse, challenge yourself a little bit every day and don't let your daughter have the horse back! Have a fab time at the comp whether you get to round 3 or not and let us know how you get on.

Michen

Visit site
I would try putting it up to 90, 95 and 100 at home where theRe is no pressure. Focus on your rhythm, position, balance, line and the rest will come naturally.

If you're comfortable jumping 90 then 100 isn't much more, you're jumping it already if he ever over jumps even slightly!

I disagree with this! I think you can get away with going into a 90cm Oxer as a total car crash (not suggesting you are!) and get away with it as most horses can get themselves out of trouble at that height. 100cm not so much!

LeannePip

Visit site
Sounds like you'll be fine OP, can you get out to a couple more clinics before the RC areas?

I, like you, don't really like jumping at home, if i do i usually keep it about 1m/1.05 yet we compete at Fox so 1.20+ a bit, i just don't like it in 'cold blood' much prefer to go for a lesson/ arena hire and have someone shout at me!

I've done the RC Area showjumping a few times and the courses were quite kind, nothing trappy and a good middle ground between UA and BS, with only a couple of fences towards the end of the course at max dimensions. Plus, by the time the fences go up, you'll have already been in the ring so it seems less daunting (and horses less spooky)! The fences will only go up by 1 hole each round which doesn't seem too bad - don't over think it, just ride every round in a good rhythm and with purpose and you won't really notice the height difference.

Also agree with Red-1, find out if you are on a team or individual, although each team can drop a score (4 riders, 3 scores to count) so if you don't feel like you can jump subsequent rounds it's not the end for the team either.

Most of all enjoy it :D

greenbean10

Visit site
I disagree with this! I think you can get away with going into a 90cm Oxer as a total car crash (not suggesting you are!) and get away with it as most horses can get themselves out of trouble at that height. 100cm not so much!

Any honest horse with a bit of scope or jumping experience will jump you out of trouble at 1m. That is the second phase of a British Novice course which is one of the smallest affiliated classes you can jump, designed for inexperienced riders or inexperienced horses. 1m might look big to us when we stand next to it, but the OP said her horse is experienced and I'm sure he will have no trouble getting over 1m from a bad stride. The less careful ones might have it down but there really isn't that much difference between 90cm and 1m.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm an "older rider" and I say Go For It!!

At age 57 I took on my first-ever youngster (profile Pic); and next month we're going to our first proper "event" which will be a TREC training day - we've already got two pleasure rides under our belt so it feels a good time to go to a proper Grown Ups Party!

You never know what you can do until you try!!

Good luck!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I took up eventing at 47. I was utterly terrified as although I used to jump when younger, I had not jumped for years and kind of assumed I was past it. But a friend persuaded me to try an unaff 70m ODE and I was hooked after that. Did 70s at 47, BE80 at 48 and BE90 last year at 49. And no intention of stopping. I've only just got started. I cannot tell you the joy I get from this. I am so happy, so excited, so pumped up for this eventing adventure.

My current SJ trainer says you don't need to 'see a stride' you just need to ride a good canter. It is your job to establish a good canter rhythm and present the horse on a good line and the horse's job to negotiate the jump. You don't need to place the horse - just wait for the fence to come to you and go with the horse. That has been her advice up to a metre with me. Whether that changes as you go higher I don't know.

I would also add that although 95 is not that much bigger than 85 the jumps definitely look a lot bigger. The challenge is not changing how you ride eg chasing, getting tentative, starting to look at the fences instead of up and ahead etc. I often mess up in lessons on slightly bigger fences because I get nervous and ride like a muppet! So definitely jump well up to height/width in lessons.

Leandy

Visit site
I think you need to be jumping those heights at home before doing it in a competition, especially a team one where whether you continue or pull out impacts on the team as well as yourself. If you are nervous about it now I wouldn't put yourself in that position unless I felt properly prepared. There is however absolutely time in the next 3 weeks to get the required practice in. Just make a plan to do that and see how it goes!