Video Feeling brave (or stupid...)...jumping critique please :)

Chippers1

Visit site
As I've posted a few of the videos previously I thought I would ask for some critique on them now. A moment of madness :eek:!

I'm starting up lessons again so whilst they are the most helpful, a set of experienced eyes looking over is always useful and there are a lot on here!

So brief background, bought Buzz in 2017 with the aim to get back into competing, promptly realised i'd lost all my confidence so was starting to slowly bring it back when he ruptured a tendon so spent most of 2017 on box rest. We started back up again in 2018 and I was still very nervous, which didn't help Buzz! Although he is very honest he really needs confidence from his rider so we started small and have slowly built up to our now height of 75s/sometimes 80s. My ultimate aim is to do a BE80 and not get eliminated! As he was very low mileage when I bought him shows, fillers, xc etc everything he was doing for the first time with me so it's been a big learning curve for both of us. We had a lot of issues with running out but this has definitely improved. I have also discovered that when he is comfortable with a height he'll start getting lazy and knock them so we have to go up - not good for my nerves ha ha:D

These videos are from more recent outings as it is a better representation (some will have seen most of them) but any critique/comments are welcome - I can definitely do with it!

70cm beginning of Jan
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

80cm on the same day - disunited, stops and getting close but it was our first competitive 80!

80cm a week later

Then we had a two month break so started up with 75, I was quite nervous as I only managed to jump once in that whole 2 months

75 a week later (last weekend) stop that was 100% my fault

Then some lesson videos from before Christmas
https://vimeo.com/323445636

https://vimeo.com/323445367

I know we need work so anything is welcome, thanks :)

Chippers1

Visit site
Not sure why the lest two didn't pop up but here...

paddi22

Visit site
aw what a lovely pair! you really suit eachother and he looks so happy at his job.

From the history described you are doing super! He could be a bit straighter and clearer-directioned going into stuff, there's a few times he struggles as he's not sure where the next jump is.

and you tip forward coming into jumps at times (but don't we all!) . But the overall picture is very good for a nervy rider/green horse. If he was mine i'd work on getting a bit more 'bounce' in the canter, doing lessons over canterpole exercises and grids. And just working on getting his balance a bit better on corners, but that will come. At them moment, you are good at turning your head to look at fences, but you don't bring the rest of your body around, if you turn more with your hips and shoulders and really focus on your turns, then it will help him.

But he's come on so much in the last lesson videos you showed, so you are on the right path!

Chippers1

Visit site
Thank you :) yes i'm a tipper! mainly due to nerves but I keep reminding myself to sit up...
And yes he's not very straight, particularly on the right rein and this is also a work in progress. He can be very wobbly so I need to contain him more. I'll get the poles back out :)

I also don't help with the turning, when I get nervous I try and get it over as soon as possible so do some really bad turns, another thing I am working on though!

All really helpful stuff, thanks!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
cant find much to criticize , nice horse ,just needs a little more jump in the canter as paddy22 says. when you are going a little quicker he jumps better but needs to tuck his hind legs up more and this should improve with the quality of the canter. you didnt look nervous and seemed to be committed to each jump by pushing him on and i didnt see you freeze on the approaches. i would say well done regarding your riding, a nice harmonious picture...

Chippers1

Visit site
Thank you :) yes I see about the canter, it will probably help with the pole knocking if he was bouncier.
Now that I'm over the solid fear of jumping I can start to work on all these things!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I only watched the first 2 videos and the last one, but I think you make a lovely picture. Made me smile to watch them.

Can't add anything else really, as I think that yes, there are things that will improve, but also I think you are already on the right road to do that.

Chippers1

Visit site
I only watched the first 2 videos and the last one, but I think you make a lovely picture. Made me smile to watch them.

Can't add anything else really, as I think that yes, there are things that will improve, but also I think you are already on the right road to do that.

Thank you, I got a bit video happy!

Fiona

Visit site
You're mad chippers 🤣🤣

I'm still freaking my instructor out with 'Im so crap...' messages after my post on here last week 😱😱

Fiona

JFTDWS

Visit site
I like the pony, he's cool.

Straightness to fences, quality of canter, really riding your turns so he's not counter-bending - they're probably worth working on. But it's all "work in progress" stuff - you can clearly see a development in the videos and it's all very much a positive trend as far as I can see. I imagine with a bit more canter, you'd eliminate the stops / poles pretty quickly.

Chippers1

Visit site
Thank you, he's quiet a lazy boy (hang over from previous home) but he's definitely more responsive and forward than he was, I've only recently managed to get him to gallop! So i'm wary that if I push him too much for speed he'll go flat. Hopefully with more bounce we can then increase the speed. Actually in the video from the last comp for the first half he was flying (for him!) and pulling me round, which is why we have a few, ummm, directional disputes as he thought he knew where he was going!

Lots to work on which is all really helpful. I'm building up his canter work for fitness so I will incorporate straightness and riding the turns into this too.

I love competing so I want to improve and the more I do the less nervous I am about it which then makes him better too, we just need a few tweaks! And he is super cool :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
I don't want to see him any faster - other than in a speed class / jump off - just bouncier :)

But then, I ride the world's slowest jumping rounds ;)

Chippers1

Visit site
I don't want to see him any faster - other than in a speed class / jump off - just bouncier :)

But then, I ride the world's slowest jumping rounds ;)

I've deliberately avoiding classes with jump offs as i want to sort the main course out before jumping from angles and wonky lines 😅 plus I'm super competitive and he's not quite quick enough! Ha.

Mantra from now on Need More Bounce!

SpringArising

Visit site
Two things - you tip forwards as has already been said, and you don't hold enough weight in your heels to keep your lower leg secure. He looks like a very nice horse to learn on :)

Chippers1

Visit site
tipping forward is the bane of my life 😅 ok will work on heels too! I think my stirrups need to go up, will this help?*whispers* they're only a hole above my schooling length...

I need to get back into no stirrups work too - I had a new years resolution to do once a week but so far have only managed once!

Chippers1

Visit site
Volumising shampoo?

Personally I love a good wonky line and an insane turn to a dodgy angle. My mare isn't fast, but by heck she can turn :p

Because I'm worth it 😉

Oh my old pony could turn on a sixpence and jump off any line, and in the air 😅 he was a jump off superstar, we didn't have speed but had the turns! Buzz needs a bit more of a hand hold but no doubt he will make it some day if I get a hold on my riding!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Because I'm worth it 😉

Oh my old pony could turn on a sixpence and jump off any line, and in the air 😅 he was a jump off superstar, we didn't have speed but had the turns! Buzz needs a bit more of a hand hold but no doubt he will make it some day if I get a hold on my riding!

*sexy hair flick*

I spent all last year teaching my mare to rollback / haunch turn for polocrosse - I accidentally engaged her super-turn while training over a course of fences the other week, over did the turn and presented at a different fence going "Wow, I'd forgotten you can do that!" :p What we lack in speed, we make up for in lunacy :D

Chippers1

Visit site
She sounds a lot of fun! I used to loan a pony who was used for Wild west trick shows, she was insane 😅

SpringArising

Visit site
tipping forward is the bane of my life 😅 ok will work on heels too! I think my stirrups need to go up, will this help?*whispers* they're only a hole above my schooling length...

I need to get back into no stirrups work too - I had a new years resolution to do once a week but so far have only managed once!

They look a touch long but not that bad. Mine go up at least two holes for SJ and XC, possibly three.