Feeling impatient un identified lameness.

slambid

Visit site
Hi all

My horse is booked at the vets on wed this week for a scan/ x ray but he is looking so sorry for himself I wondered if any one had any ideas in the mean time. Sorry for the essay.

On 19 June so just over a week ago I took him to a one day event the ground was firm but it had rained over night and taken the edge off.

He competed the ODE fantastically well warmed up nicely walking about gently to get used to the place for about 30 min or so then building up to trot and canter so he was thoroughly loosened off before we started. He did an ok dressage test in an arena on a surface flew the show jumping also on a surface and jumped happily xc apart from one naughty run out. (It was speed eventing so we only got 15 min from dressage to SJ one practice jump and strait from SJ to the XC course but as I warmed up well for dressage I didn't think this would be a big problem. )

When we finished I went through my normal routine walk off till breathing is normal then remove boots replace with ice compression boots wash down with water and a cool wash after about 20 min of ice boots remove and check legs. When I did this there was a very slight warm spot on one fetlock he was sound so I applied leg ice gel booted up and took him home.

When we got home he was a little gingery walking off the truck but not bad so I cold hosed his legs and put him in his box for a while to have his hay and feed water electrolytes etc before going out. When I came to turn him out he was hopping lame. right fore so I bandaged up and kept him in on a nice deep bed.

Next day he was less lame but as I have the vet coming that Wed for one of my other horses I got him checked out. By this point he was almost sound the vet said he couldn't find anything so most likely a bruised sesamoid bone I could either give him a week or two off then back to work gently or if I was worried as it is so close to the suspensory ligament get him in for a scan and x ray to check which is what I did. Thinking I was wasting my money as he was looking so much better but rather be safe. The vet advised no more cold hosing just keep his legs 'cozy' in stable bandages and keep him in till the scan no bute or pain killers just rest.

I have followed the vets advice to the letter. I have been away this weekend but left him with a very trust worthy friend who has done exactly as asked and had no issues however when I walked him out last night to do his bed he was very lame again. I don't understand why he has gone backwards having stood in his box for a week with bandages and a soft bed.

There are now no hot points the swelling further up his leg which my vet confirmed was blood flow due to the injury is gone there are no points where he flinches etc but he is very reluctant to take weight on the sore leg and stand with it out in front resting. He is almost falling over in trot.

My usual vet is on holiday but his colleague will do the scan and x rays on Wednesday this week. Does any one have any ideas what could be causing this and what I could do to keep him comfortable in the mean time?

I'm still hoping its a bruise but I would not expect it to be getting worse if it was.

wkiwi

Visit site
Impossible to diagnose from a description of course, but if you think about sprains and strains and other knocks to yourself then it is easy enough to re-'twang' it just getting out of bed. (Or in the horse's case getting up after lying down, knocking it while moving around the stable etc.).
Of course it could be more serious than this (and hopefully you will know after scans etc.) but am crossing my fingers for you that it is not.
Can you tell the clinic that it is worse and ask them to move the scans forward? Mention that you are worried about his welfare in the interim and think it might be more serious than originally thought (whether or not it is you can't know of course, but you want him 'bumped up the list'). Don't trot him again, but tell them what you have found and that you are very concerned. The clinic will assume he is no worse unless they hear from you, so I would definitely advise them it is worse.

Ask also about pain relief in the interim if they think that is advisable, if they don't then ask why and whether in that case the horse should be scanned/xrayed before the weekend.

By the way, your warm up etc. sounds fine, so don't blame yourself for not doing enough beforehand; it is better to not have long gaps between phases anyway. As with humans, sometimes these things just happen and it only takes one misplaced foot/hoof to do damage even when not being ridden.
Best wishes - sending healing vibes your horse's way.

Graeme Burt farrier

Visit site
Simple things first, always. Of course I dont know, I've not examined your horse, but this sounds like a foot abscess to me.
Take him out of the bedding to an area with clean dry concrete and where the sun will not shine on his feet. Let him stand there for 15 minutes, maybe give him a little hay. Then put one hand on each front foot at the same time and discern whether the right fore is markedly warmer than the left. Check pulses if you like but heat is the key. If the right fore is warmer, call your farrier and ask him to check for an abscess.

slambid

Visit site
Thanks for the ideas folks.
I had the farrier Tues night he had a good look found nothing but Joules was still hopping lame so went to the vets as planned for the scans on Wed am.
either the farrier or the vet has magic hands as by the time it came for the nurse to trot him up pre scan he was completely sound.
The vet scanned his leg just in case and there was nothing to see at all no marks to the tendons or ligaments bone all clean no chips or cracks the only slight anomalies were thickened blood vessels obviously related to the swelling heat etc he had over the past few days and a slightly thicker bit of skin over his fetlock where he had mud fever last year.
I've been advised walk and paddock rest for the rest of the week and if all ok early next week just get on with it.
We may make it to our first BE yet but I'm not counting my chickens.

wkiwi

Visit site
either the farrier or the vet has magic hands as by the time it came for the nurse to trot him up pre scan he was completely sound.
Sorry, but had to laugh. I used to work in a vet clinic and this was surprisingly common - not just horses, but dogs and cats too. And not just lamenesses either. In a practical real-world sense, whatever it is probably just stopped hurting at that point.
In a 'twilight zone' sense, I have noticed that if you seriously threaten a badly-behaved horse with the knackers (and you have to be serious) it often shows remarkable improvement! Mind you, that is probably just due to firmer riding anyway. But then there are more things on heaven and earth....