Feeling like a murderer now

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Had to have my 11yo PTS end of March, I know what you mean about feeling like a murderer. the thing is, the people like us who feel this way have obviously not done it lightly, and have the horse's interests at heart. sorry you are having to go through it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Always a difficult decision and more especially so when it has to be made for a young horse. You know though that you are being a responsible owner and doing the best you can for the horse.
Thinking of you.

tessybear

Visit site
Your not a murderer, you are responsible and a caring owner. What will give you pain will end his and although horrible at least you know he will be happy over rainbow bridge.

(((Hug))) from the Bears !x

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I don't know your horse's story, but presuming it is a relief from suffering - you are giving the horse the greatest gift by sparing him the unbearable, and the only one who will be suffering at the end is you; horses live in the moment and have no knowledge of the future. You are being incredibly selfless and kind, be strong and sure. I will think of you on Friday.

Buds_mum

Visit site
How absolutely gutting for you :( he is absolutely no age, why is life so unfair.

Will be thinking of you come Friday, my boy trotted up lame today (99.9% sure its an abscess) however me being me! my first thought is always what if its something more, I just couldn't cope to loose him.

They are so precious to us yet their whole existence in our lives seems utterly fragile.

Huge hugs to you, so many of us know what you are feeling. But that makes it no better :(

Shantara

Visit site
Will be thinking of you come Friday, my boy trotted up lame today (99.9% sure its an abscess) however me being me! my first thought is always what if its something more, I just couldn't cope to loose him.

When Ned was first lame, I had a nightmare that night that I lead him to the field, then heard a gunshot. I felt sick for days, terrified it would come true.

Again, I'm so sorry OP :'( *hugs*

babymare

Visit site
Hun no you are not a murder. you are a loving mum. i myself will be making same call next week. be proud of self as you have made the call many cant face. hugs to you xxx

smellsofhorse

Visit site
It will be a year on Saturday since I had my warmblood gelding put down.
I still feel so guilty.
I miss him terribly.

But I know it was the right things to do.

Just keep that in your head.
You are doing the best and kindest thing for your horse.

hnmisty

Visit site
Letting them pass out of this world with dignity at the end of their life is the kindest thing you can do as an owner.

Losing them before their time is very difficult, but be proud of yourself for being strong enough to make the right decision for him. Sadly, a lot of pet owners aren't.

indie999

Visit site
I am so sorry but I can absolutely sympathise with why you feel that way. I did too. Its awful countdown. I held the rope as the vet administered the dose and was telling my horse what a good boy and he looked at me for reassurance and all I could think was I am about to kill you and you trust me. I mentioned it to another horse owner who did make me feel better when they said normally a person would die naturally etc but its because we are taking a life that makes it worse. But even though I felt like that I know the horse had no idea that anything was about to happen to him which is the blessing in disguise. When you read on H&H that they know nothing its so quick they are right. That is the blessing. Its also a blessing that they can be put out of discomfort and misery.

I still take the view that it is a responsible horse owner that makes this decision. But if its to end your horses problems and suffering its the last right thing to do by your animal. A duty. I am glad I did my duty but life is a bitch sometimes. Will think of you on Friday just enjoy and fuss over them, give them all the treats and things they probably shouldnt have. You are being utterly responsible am sure it will go smoothly. Its a relief once its over too.

Clare85

Visit site
Echoing everyone else's words, you are not a murderer! I'm sure you are doing the very best for your horse. Make the most of this week with him, give him lots of fuss and treats. When the time comes, give him a polo, a pat and tell him how much you love him, he will love you for your kindness and the memory of him will never leave you. Will be thinking of you on Friday x

Alliya

Visit site
I lost my homebred 2 year old filly a year and half ago to Atypical Myoglobinurea
It still seems so unfair she was the one that i was going to go and do everything with, she had been shown twice won her first time out, qualified . But sadly after 17 hours of praying and hoping i had to let her go

You are not a murderer
Its hard on you
But you are stopping a life time of pain or illness

My old boss used to say that animals where lucky
that they have this option she had nursed her husband
though cancer and lost him he fought till the end
but she wished that she could of helped him when
they new that the end was near but she could not
She died of cancer herself in 2003 they where both too young

But big hugs and let him run free

guido16

Visit site
Big hugs.

I would say that as hard as it is, take comfort that you can let your horse go with such dignity.

Imagine, you have breakfast tomorrow and you die instantly, no knowing, you just go. That's what it is like for horses when we make that heartbreaking choice. No pain, no panic. That is what you are doing.

I had to watch my most recent one to go, have the pain of colic. Horrid.
You and your wonderful horse can go without that. Take lots of photos, do something fun with your horse, spoil your horse, give all the strange and whacky food you never thought you could give. Enjoy these cherished moments