Feeling like you can't do a horse justice?

ApolloStorm

Visit site
So I have been offered the ride while I am horseless of a lovely 5yr old warmblood who's owner has decided to stop riding now she is in her 3rd trimester, I am not worried about physically being able to ride the horse, he doesn't seem complicated or overly sharp. I am more worried about if I can do such a young horse justice! I have ridden youngsters, taught them LY,SI,TOTFH, RB. But they were all irish hunter types who needed those exercises in routine to keep them supple and able to work round and forward. I haven't ever competitively ridden above novice dressage, and only UA jumping. This horse is being aimed to event, which I haven't competed at ever. I am slightly concerned I am going to get on this lovely warmblood who finds everything so easy, and ruin him!

Does anyone else get this? I think I'd be missing out on an amazing opportunity to improve, and I do have an instructor who I use who was fantastic with my old mare, so I would have support, but I can only afford 1 lesson a month! Thats a lot of riding on my own!

Mule

Visit site
The rider wouldn't have offered you the horse if you weren't capable of riding it well.

Blixen Vixen

Visit site
No offence, but your post would never have been written by a man! For God’s sake give yourself a bit of credit. I mean that in the best possible sense. I’m sure you’re well able to ride or the friend wouldn’t have asked. Go out and enjoy it and stop fretting.

be positive

Visit site
The rider wouldn't have offered you the horse if you weren't capable of riding it well.

This, also a good opportunity to have some lessons to keep you and the horse moving forward, it may be being aimed towards eventing but there is no need for you to do any more than you are confident doing so stop being so negative and enjoy the chance to ride a really nice horse.

Escapade

Visit site
Ime, it is often the most capable people who question their ability the most. If they didn’t think you were up to it they wouldn’t have offered! I hope you go for it and have a ball :)

Ahrena

Visit site
A horse doesn’t give a toss what it’s potential is.

I’ve been advised by 4 star event riders and chef d’equippe of the junior Olympic dressage Team that she is a top level horse in any sphere; 4 star eventing, Grand Prix dressage or SJ. As a 5 year old, someone sourcing horses for the American team
approached me for her.

She’s 9 and whilst I have/had bigger ambitions, she has so far done 1 BE100 and the rest 90s. Might have a stab at medium dressage this winter.

This isn’t meant to sound boastful, I just wanted to point out I reckon my girl is a damn sight happier living with me as a bit of a hippy where I pander to her, turn her out 24/7 in the summer and mostly ride her bitless because that’s what she prefers, than living on a competition yard competing at top level.

Mule

Visit site
True, ambition is a human trait. Horses just want food, friends and an easy life

PapaverFollis

Visit site
In the 18 months of owning our young horse I have spent most of them crippled by similar thoughts. Basically convinced I'm going to ruin her. Fortunately my husband rides too so he's mostly got on and cracked on (although we had a brief period where these roles were reversed). I'm gradually getting to the point where it's getting better. Horse has improved hugely with husband riding and if I'm honest I know I ride at least as well as him, if not better, when Im not freezing up so I know I won't ruin her but it's hard to shake off.

I've found convincing myself she's just a bog standard riding school cob before I get on has helped. Can you forget about what the horse is and is being aimed at? He's just a horse inside his head, he doesn't know he's posh.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
No offence, but your post would never have been written by a man!
Bit sexist that. As a serial rider of other peoples horses and a man I have often had similar thoughts. If you are a thinking rider of either sex then questioning ability is normal.
***Slight rant over***
Agree with others who say you wouldn't have got the ride if owner wasn't confident in your ability.

Antw23uk

Visit site
No offence, but your post would never have been written by a man! For God’s sake give yourself a bit of credit. I mean that in the best possible sense. I’m sure you’re well able to ride or the friend wouldn’t have asked. Go out and enjoy it and stop fretting.

Very true ... I'd be like ... 'where's the bridle ....'

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
How exactly are you contemplating ruining this horse? There are so many ways to ride; you can start out just stretching and loosening her until you get the hang of her and then either push on or wait until you're more confident, or just continue in a "holding pattern" until the owner's back in form. She's only 5: not much to ruin yet, surely?

ApolloStorm

Visit site
Thank you for all the encouragement, I suppose watching him learn LY in about 5 minutes, when it took my instructor and I 4 hours of lessons for my old mare to fully *grasp* it, the rate he learns and finds stuff so easy it would be simple to accidentally teach him a bad habit! I think I will spend a good few weeks doing hacking and giving him life experiences, rather than trying to directly pick up where she left off! As he is a little underdeveloped behind, think it'd be good to get him out of the school for a bit.

ponies4ever

Visit site
I had this issue a while back which is why I ended up with a skinny green gypsy cob with no apparent talent as my first horse as my thinking was well at least I can't waste her! she and the next one turned out as very well rounded horses who went above and beyond what was expected of them. I now have one with 'potential' who I fully plan on wasting in the sense I don't want to do pure show jumping which is what she's bred for and instead will have fun at grassroots eventing and whatever else she decides she enjoys. She so far seems to have a nack for flatwork!

buzyizzy

Visit site
Very much so. I bought my horse as a yearling and he turned into a fabulous horse who would have jumped the moon if I had asked. Loves his work, and could have gone so far if I had had the finances in place. Sadly he has reached 17 now and just enjoys being schooled and hacking out. What a waste :(

Nari

Visit site
If I'd got a decent young horse the type or rider I'd run a mile from is the sort who think they're God's gift & are determined to "educate" the horse. A rider who has doubts is one who's unlikely to screw up a horse - even if all you do is hack to keep him fit & responsive that's going to be a big help because it's getting him out to see the world. Could the owner come up to give you a lesson or two on how she wants her horse worked? Have you discussed what she wants? Don't get hung up on him being a warmblood, he's still a horse!

Nari

Visit site
Very much so. I bought my horse as a yearling and he turned into a fabulous horse who would have jumped the moon if I had asked. Loves his work, and could have gone so far if I had had the finances in place. Sadly he has reached 17 now and just enjoys being schooled and hacking out. What a waste :(

Why do I doubt your horse feels this way? He's loved, healthy & enjoys his work - that's enough.

Tishko

Visit site
The basics you've mentioned in your post are the foundations to any discipline so the breed or and goal of the horse shouldn't matter. He's a baby so unlikely you'll be eventing this weekend. Don't stress, enjoy the ride and learn together 🤗