Feeling low need cheering up .

Finlib

Visit site
One year ago today I lost my 26 year old Arab to gutteral mycosis had him 20 years just 4 weeks before that I lost my 30 year old T\B after a fall in the field had him 22 years .Last year wasn't a good year.
I still have 3 horses including a 20 year old Arab I got as a companion for the old Arab after the T/B went.Just a month after getting him both the oldies were gone.Never would have got him if I didn't need a companion for the old arab but he is here and I will keep him as he is 20 and will not be passed on at that age.t I took my eye off the ball and 5 weeks ago he got mild laminitis needed no pain relief just shut off grass vet happy with him and after 2 weeks he was s sound in his shavings pole barn pen.
Now 5 weeks later I had a different vet out today to do routine jabs.(same practice)
She kept insisting that I muzzle all my horses as that is the only way forward! The original vet was happy with my routine.
2 are strip grazed by day and corralled on a pole barn with large dirt area access to the out door school at night with hay weighed at 4 killo per horse (original vet happy with that)
I want to get the Arab back to that routine.She kept insisting that the only way forward is to muzzle everything and chuck them out 24/7 I couldn't seem to get past the muzzling which I am not happy to do.Can't keep fly masks on for more than 20 minutes!!
I do feel fragile today given it is the anniversary of loosing my 2 old boys but the vet made me feel like the worst owner in the world because I didn't want to muzzle all my horses and all I wanted was how to move forward in 're integrating the Arab back to the herd and how .much exercise to give him as well as how much grass I can start to give him.
Have left a message for the original vet to call me. Just feel like worse owner in the world.
Sorry long and rambling just feeling low.

Hollychops

Visit site
Sorry to hear you are feeling low, you definitely are not the worst horse owner in the world. It sounds as though this is just a tough patch but you are doing what is best for your horse(s) and caring for them to the best of your ability.
I would do the same as you and question the vet if you weren't comfortable with their suggestion. If nothing else it will reassure you that you are managing a potentially difficult situation appropriately.

try to keep positive (easy for me to say i know). Give your horses a hug as they are great stress and emotional relief busters.Hope you feel happier soon x

nutrock

Visit site
Also very sorry to hear you are feeling low but please you know your horses better than anyone and if they are OK with your routine and show no signs of laminitis I would continue. Hope you feel better soon xx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sorry your feeling so down I personally wouldn't leave a grazing muzzle on 24-7, at the end of the day there your horses if you feel that is not right for them don't do it, I hope you manage to get your Arab out in his normal routine soon, than I am sure you will start to feel much better.

Rosemary28

Visit site
Sorry you are feeling so low. I can't keep a muzzle on my pony, he hates it; he is strip grazing during the day and in at night, and it works so well for him (touch wood). You definitely aren't the worst horse owner in the world, sounds like your horses are lucky to have you. Hope you can get your Arab back into the routine soon.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You sound like a sensible horse -owner, imo. You pay the vet to offer an opinion, not to dictate to you, so by all means speak to the original vet and consider his/her advice. A responsible owner takes everything into consideration, including horse's preference and temperament, not just one vet's rather fixed opinion.
Personally I would always ask for the vet who I want to treat my horses, not just ask the receptionist to send any vet and tbh, I would probably ask your practice not to send that one again.

Finlib

Visit site
Thanks all just to add The vet did full tests for EMS and Cushings on the Arab with mild laminitis as he is 20 and we were concerned that as he was mildly laminitis that may be a factor He was tested once he was sound and not under stress .The vets I use are a equine hospital and ran all the bloods themselves on their own machines as they decided to invest in their own equipment as they have been unhappy with results from commercial labs. He got a Cushings test is 12 and a really low glucose score so vet was happy there is nothing underlying going on.
He is a little lightweight Arab and I am more used to dealing with T\B and Anglo Arabs and .much bigger horses who can be on more grass!!

meleeka

Visit site
I’m sorry you are feeling rubbish. It’s bound to bring it all back what happened this time last year.

For what it’s worth I wouldn’t muzzle mine either. The only one I might consider is the mini but only because company is so very important to him. I keep mine on a track. They are out 24/7 but I’d sooner bring them in than muzzle.

I think you sound perfectly knowledgeable and caring and you can’t ask a lot more than that.

Peter7917

Visit site
I agree with your decision not to muzzle. I hate the things. Cant imagine how horrid it must be with your face stuck in a stuffy little mask. Keep doing what you're doing.

Finlib

Visit site
Feeling brighter today anniversary over! Rang my Farrier this morning he was horrified at the vet just insisting on muzzling . He is an old personal friend of the original vet they go racing together.He is going contact him for me and get back to me thinks he may be on leave this week.
As he has tested negative for Cushings and EMS he agrees with me to start doing short in hand walk of about 15/20 minutes to start and a little in hand grazing on the hedge rows but will run that last the vet building up to letting him have abouts grass in a couple of weeks time
He is due to comes and trim and refit on 8\7 so will assess what he thinks of him then.

Finlib

Visit site
As I said to the second vet muzzling ain't gonna happen!!!.Original vet has now got back to me .Arab can go out in the strip grazing 1 hour early morning and 1 hourr late afternoon plus short walk out in hand. Farrier and vet out on the 8/7 to refit shoes.He is happy with my routine.
let him in with the others for an hour and he looks fab. moving well pleased to be out.