Feeling SICK

khalswitz

Visit site
... now that I have just sent off an entry for mine and Geoff's first BE80.

He's been jumping well, so feeling hopeful, but can't help worrying. Any tips/hints/positive stories to tell to make me feel less like I've just committed very expensive suicide?

HannaST

Visit site
Well, in my first event, I had a very tense dressage (45), had a whirlwind disrupt our showjumping leading to 8 faults, and got eliminated at the water jump. But I still had a great day and really enjoyed it! It was worth the cost anyway.

Does that help? ;)

Lolo

Visit site
Eee! Excited for you :)

I'd remember he is perfectly capable and so are you. It might not be perfect, but no one expects it to be and each tiny little bit of the day is an achievement to build on next time. And kick on, sit up and smile :D

ETA: Reg's first ODE was amazingly bad. He got a generous 45 which left him last, 4 down SJ because he got so overexcited and tense Al couldn't steer him and his canter was so weak and he was so tense he couldn't strike off properly, and then blitzed round the XC like a pro.

A year later he came 6th at the 1m class of the same ODE :D

Last edited:

Liane

Visit site
I did my first BE80 last year and this year I have started BE90. To be honest with you I find the BE events (especially BE80) a lot more inviting and straight forward than an unaffiliated event. I was pleasantly surprised and defiantly have the BE bug! Good luck :)

LeannePip

Visit site
You will be fine! you are prepared and you and horse are both capeable!

my first ODE was a year ago this week, rush of blood to the head and a mix up with entries had me and my 5yo entered for the Unaff90 at Tweseldown. I thought our prep was fine, had been doing lots of canter and trotting up hill work, learnt the test and she was jumping well at home. Dressage was OK, i went wrong once and and over exuberant canter ment we left the boards at one stage - got 40. walked the xc again, thought i might just be sick - coudlnt see any feesible way that we would get round. Show Jumping was running early so warm up was cut short, some how managed to scrape round with a clear despite me doing more work than the horse, quick change for XC, also running early, wasnt till i was sat in the start box i realised that horse had never acctually done a complete course XC. Tonnes of Schooling, but had never acctually done an entire course! Ooops! we survived some how 2 refusals and a tonne of time penalties and a Fabulous photo! was a great day, cant wait to have another bash!

Just enjoy the day! everyone starts somewhere!

PorkChop

Visit site
Eeeek - judging by the pics you posted recently on the xc I am sure you will be fine - completely normal to be feeling sick!

Make sure you eat something the morning of your event, and make sure you are uber organised so all you have to worry about is being in the right place at the right time - you will feel elated at the end of the day - and even if it doesn't go completely to plan focus on the positives :) Good Luck :)

khalswitz

Visit site
Well, in my first event, I had a very tense dressage (45), had a whirlwind disrupt our showjumping leading to 8 faults, and got eliminated at the water jump. But I still had a great day and really enjoyed it! It was worth the cost anyway.

Does that help? ;)

If I make it onto the cross country I think I will be very chuffed! Glad to hear you still had a great time, despite first time out not being too hot - hopefully we can say the same!!

Eee! Excited for you :)

I'd remember he is perfectly capable and so are you. It might not be perfect, but no one expects it to be and each tiny little bit of the day is an achievement to build on next time. And kick on, sit up and smile :D

ETA: Reg's first ODE was amazingly bad. He got a generous 45 which left him last, 4 down SJ because he got so overexcited and tense Al couldn't steer him and his canter was so weak and he was so tense he couldn't strike off properly, and then blitzed round the XC like a pro.

A year later he came 6th at the 1m class of the same ODE :D

Bless Reg, he is such an amazing dude. If Geoff can live up to half of Reg's awesomeness he will have done well!

I keep telling myself that we can absolutely do it, my only real concern XC is the ditch, which may be an elimination for us as he can be very worried about them still although is improving tons - my biggest fear is the showjumping! Which is silly as he's been jumping great. Am off to sj tonight as extra reminder that it is perfectly doable ;)

Just seems mad considering in January I ruled out jumping full stop due to all the refusals and falls. Eeek!

Excitingly, I have a groom for the day who will hopefully be able to take lots of pics and vids!!! Hopefully NOT of me falling off!!!

I did my first BE80 last year and this year I have started BE90. To be honest with you I find the BE events (especially BE80) a lot more inviting and straight forward than an unaffiliated event. I was pleasantly surprised and defiantly have the BE bug! Good luck :)

That's so good to hear. The one were doing I've been told is very 'old fashioned' so I'm really looking forward to it, if I don't think about it too much ;)

You will be fine! you are prepared and you and horse are both capeable!

my first ODE was a year ago this week, rush of blood to the head and a mix up with entries had me and my 5yo entered for the Unaff90 at Tweseldown. I thought our prep was fine, had been doing lots of canter and trotting up hill work, learnt the test and she was jumping well at home. Dressage was OK, i went wrong once and and over exuberant canter ment we left the boards at one stage - got 40. walked the xc again, thought i might just be sick - coudlnt see any feesible way that we would get round. Show Jumping was running early so warm up was cut short, some how managed to scrape round with a clear despite me doing more work than the horse, quick change for XC, also running early, wasnt till i was sat in the start box i realised that horse had never acctually done a complete course XC. Tonnes of Schooling, but had never acctually done an entire course! Ooops! we survived some how 2 refusals and a tonne of time penalties and a Fabulous photo! was a great day, cant wait to have another bash!

Just enjoy the day! everyone starts somewhere!

Sounds like you did so well considering!! I'll be honest if we manage to complete at all I'll be over the moon!!!

Eeeek - judging by the pics you posted recently on the xc I am sure you will be fine - completely normal to be feeling sick!

Make sure you eat something the morning of your event, and make sure you are uber organised so all you have to worry about is being in the right place at the right time - you will feel elated at the end of the day - and even if it doesn't go completely to plan focus on the positives :) Good Luck :)

Very good advice. I have a groom for the day too, so between the two of us well hopefully be organised! As long as I don't die, I'm sure well find some positives - even if it's only that he's seen the atmosphere!!!

Oooh I know nothing about eventing, just wanted to wish you good luck - enjoy it!

Thank you. I bought him hoping to event him, and it was out to one side last summer with all the problems we were having. I assumed we would just be dressage divas - but he has been flying lately, both sjing and XC training so I have my fingers crossed, it'll be whether the atmosphere gets to both of us really. But fingers crossed either way!!!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
You'll be fine! I did some BE80s earlier on in the season, they are great. There are trainers at every phase so you can ask for advice if you need it, and they will help you to warm up if you ask. IME the SJ courses are fairly small and nothing tricky in them, and the XC are really inviting. I loved it, you'll have a blast :)

The books that BE send you are really useful, especially the one about getting started in eventing. It has a good checklist in of things you need to remember for you, horse etc. If you have a really early start then take breakfast with you so you can eat something once you are there. I exist mainly on bananas during an event as I can't eat much until I've finished (I think on occasion I've come close to banana OD ;) ). Get there early to have your hat tagged. Is it a local event? If so see if you can walk your course the day before, takes away a bit of the stress of the day. I can't work out how people manage to walk SJ and XC on the day of the event if they have early times; I seem to always be getting up at 4am and certainly don't have time before I do my DR, and I've never had more than 45 min between phases so no time to do it after DR either!

Good luck, it's ace :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I keep telling myself that we can absolutely do it, my only real concern XC is the ditch, which may be an elimination for us as he can be very worried about them still although is improving tons - my biggest fear is the showjumping! Which is silly as he's been jumping great. Am off to sj tonight as extra reminder that it is perfectly doable ;)

Don't panic. If there is a ditch it won't be big - I did a BE80 in April with an "open ditch" which was basically a small bit of ground dug out about 3in deep and 30in wide. Honestly, you wouldn't have known it was even there if they hadn't put a pole in front of it! Just ride it like you mean it, you'll be fine.
IME of BE80 the SJ is small too so again I wouldn't worry about it. Both of the ones I did this year have been v inviting and kind SJ courses. I've done some UA 90s this year too and when walking my courses, have noticed that the UA 80s seem much less inviting the BE80s.

khalswitz

Visit site
You'll be fine! I did some BE80s earlier on in the season, they are great. There are trainers at every phase so you can ask for advice if you need it, and they will help you to warm up if you ask. IME the SJ courses are fairly small and nothing tricky in them, and the XC are really inviting. I loved it, you'll have a blast :)

The books that BE send you are really useful, especially the one about getting started in eventing. It has a good checklist in of things you need to remember for you, horse etc. If you have a really early start then take breakfast with you so you can eat something once you are there. I exist mainly on bananas during an event as I can't eat much until I've finished (I think on occasion I've come close to banana OD ;) ). Get there early to have your hat tagged. Is it a local event? If so see if you can walk your course the day before, takes away a bit of the stress of the day. I can't work out how people manage to walk SJ and XC on the day of the event if they have early times; I seem to always be getting up at 4am and certainly don't have time before I do my DR, and I've never had more than 45 min between phases so no time to do it after DR either!

Good luck, it's ace :)

Don't panic. If there is a ditch it won't be big - I did a BE80 in April with an "open ditch" which was basically a small bit of ground dug out about 3in deep and 30in wide. Honestly, you wouldn't have known it was even there if they hadn't put a pole in front of it! Just ride it like you mean it, you'll be fine.
IME of BE80 the SJ is small too so again I wouldn't worry about it. Both of the ones I did this year have been v inviting and kind SJ courses. I've done some UA 90s this year too and when walking my courses, have noticed that the UA 80s seem much less inviting the BE80s.

That's a relief to hear!! I know the SJ course builder as he builds for our RC unaff sj, and he makes the courses HORRIBLE because the classes are generally big, so I've been psyching myself out a bit, but hopefully he won't be so mean!

If the ditch isn't too bad I might be able to trick him over it, or at least get over before being eliminated, but at least the ditch is fence 17 or 18 and heading straight for home apparently so should be the best chance well have at getting over it!

It's about an hour and twenty mins from home, but I will probably try and walk it the night before just to be safe. I hate feeling rushed walking XC so I'd rather do it beforehand, take pics and notes to myself.

Will pack lots of food. Pretty good at eating breakfast before I go, so hopefully will be ok!!!

This thread is making me feel a bit better - positively thinking about things to prepare for rather than worrying over what might happen!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Doesn't matter what he builds for RC UA, there are rules for BE about what he can build. I have honestly been gobsmacked at how small the BE80 SJ courses were. In fact I walked a BE90 and was surprised it wasn't bigger too. I've gone back to UA for 90s now (cheaper!) and BE definitely seem to be kinder on the whole from what I've seen. The UA 90 SJ courses seem to be MASSIVE at the ones I've been too.

Others might correct me on the ditch, but this is the ditch at the BE80 I talked about in my last post.. you can't even see it past the pole!
https://plus.google.com/photos/1031...6016703543870500610&oid=103134106913698177879

You can also do guided SJ and XC course walks at BE80 which are great. I didn't manage one at Stafford as it was during my DR but I went to one the night before at Berriewood with one of the trainers. Really interesting and useful, so maybe see if you can get along to one of those. IIRC the BE website had times for course walks on it, as did each venue's FB page and their respective horse trials FB pages.

Yes think positively, it's awesome. BE80 has given me a great introduction into the sport, I just wish I could afford to affiliate properly as there are about 4 BE90s I wanted to do in Aug/ Sept. I am still debating spending the money on day tickets to see if I can get into Weston Park 90....anyway, BE80 is ace :D which one are you doing?

khalswitz

Visit site
Doesn't matter what he builds for RC UA, there are rules for BE about what he can build. I have honestly been gobsmacked at how small the BE80 SJ courses were. In fact I walked a BE90 and was surprised it wasn't bigger too. I've gone back to UA for 90s now (cheaper!) and BE definitely seem to be kinder on the whole from what I've seen. The UA 90 SJ courses seem to be MASSIVE at the ones I've been too.

Others might correct me on the ditch, but this is the ditch at the BE80 I talked about in my last post.. you can't even see it past the pole!
https://plus.google.com/photos/1031...6016703543870500610&oid=103134106913698177879

You can also do guided SJ and XC course walks at BE80 which are great. I didn't manage one at Stafford as it was during my DR but I went to one the night before at Berriewood with one of the trainers. Really interesting and useful, so maybe see if you can get along to one of those. IIRC the BE website had times for course walks on it, as did each venue's FB page and their respective horse trials FB pages.

Yes think positively, it's awesome. BE80 has given me a great introduction into the sport, I just wish I could afford to affiliate properly as there are about 4 BE90s I wanted to do in Aug/ Sept. I am still debating spending the money on day tickets to see if I can get into Weston Park 90....anyway, BE80 is ace :D which one are you doing?

I know it won't be as bad, it's just I don't know HOW bad yet :p

This is the ditch at Aswanley, the event were headed to: https://m.facebook.com/171732592881...32592881529/213873582000763/?type=1&source=43

I found a set of course pics. Can't decide if they look horrendous or ok - need to stand next to them!!!

Definitely heading for the course walks!!!

khalswitz

Visit site
That's a nice course, you'll be fine! Which ones are you worried about? Just give him time to assess each fence and work out what he's got to do, and ride positively. And the ditch is fine too :)

To be honest nothing looks horrendous, I'd just like a good look in person! It is supposed to be quite twisty, quite up and down, and lots of in and out of shadows, but fences wise the ditch is the one hell object to, but we've made it over a few small ditches with just one or two refusal recently so we MAY get round! Really, once I'm on the XC course I know I'll stop worrying and just ride - it's the sj I'm likely to ride like a nonce and end up over his head. Well just have to go along and see!! :)

Fun Times

Visit site
BE80s are fab events - I did my first couple last year. The courses ride so much better than UA events usually do, the event organisation is so much better and just everything is, well, more professional somehow. My top tips would be to make sure you arrive with more time than you ever thought would be needed - sometimes it takes forever just to get from the lorry park to the secretaries tent to the XC course etc. Remember to take his passport to the sec tent with you as they may want to check it and remember to get your hat tagged if it isn't already. And as for the ditch - pick a spot on the horizon to focus on and ride towards it.

Good luck and enjoy it!

siennamiller

Visit site
I am doing my first ever ode on Saturday at Borde hill, so I know how you feel. Our dressage is appalling so I am hoping to just enjoy myself. I am going to walk the course the night before, and take my camera to photograph every fence, so I can review it at home later on. Good luck.

khalswitz

Visit site
BE80s are fab events - I did my first couple last year. The courses ride so much better than UA events usually do, the event organisation is so much better and just everything is, well, more professional somehow. My top tips would be to make sure you arrive with more time than you ever thought would be needed - sometimes it takes forever just to get from the lorry park to the secretaries tent to the XC course etc. Remember to take his passport to the sec tent with you as they may want to check it and remember to get your hat tagged if it isn't already. And as for the ditch - pick a spot on the horizon to focus on and ride towards it.

Good luck and enjoy it!

Fab advice - thank you!!! :)

Look up, keep your leg on and post a report!!! You will be great.

Oh I will, don't worry ;)

I am doing my first ever ode on Saturday at Borde hill, so I know how you feel. Our dressage is appalling so I am hoping to just enjoy myself. I am going to walk the course the night before, and take my camera to photograph every fence, so I can review it at home later on. Good luck.

Best of luck!!! Can't wait to read the report!!!

Geoff *should* do a nice dressage test, he's been scoring 65-67% at Novice and 67-72% at prelim at BD/under BD judges, so unless his mind blows from excitement he should do a passable test. If he makes it through the SJ he should go well enough XC as nothing too technical at all (excepting the ditch and possibly that bright blue house which may prove problematic). It will be the SJ that is our downfall!

Although, to be fair to him he just jumped a full up 80 with the second phase all min 85 and some at 90 tonight like a bird, with 8 faults from me letting him get too long at points, but didn't back off once, even at fillers, so I am maybe panicking for no reason!

Fun Times

Visit site
Well the sj course you have just described sounds much more difficult than what you will face at BE80. You tend to get one double, around 9 to 12 jumping efforts in total and hardly any fillers at all. You are probably already aware of this, but just in case, you can't have a reader for dressage and musnt take a whip into the dsg test (although you can warm up with one).

Mike007

Visit site
BE 80 ,you will get a good safe well designed course (both SJ and Xc)and it will be well run. A good defensive seat, careful choice of line and lots of leg , you will cruise round !

khalswitz

Visit site
Well the sj course you have just described sounds much more difficult than what you will face at BE80. You tend to get one double, around 9 to 12 jumping efforts in total and hardly any fillers at all. You are probably already aware of this, but just in case, you can't have a reader for dressage and musnt take a whip into the dsg test (although you can warm up with one).

That sounds pretty encouraging then - looks like if we overcome the nerves and atmosphere then we should definitely be able to do this!

I did know about the caller and whip - thankfully I don't normally use either!!

However, just thinking, as a confirmed dressage bridle I do have a reasonable bit of bling on my bridle... Is that against dress rules for Be? Should I be digging around in my tack box for a plain browband? (Not worried about the fashion, more the rules!!!)

BE 80 ,you will get a good safe well designed course (both SJ and Xc)and it will be well run. A good defensive seat, careful choice of line and lots of leg , you will cruise round !

Fingers crossed!! Feeling way less sick after hearing from all of you, so that's a huge bonus :)

khalswitz

Visit site
However, just thinking, as a confirmed dressage bridle I do have a reasonable bit of bling on my bridle... Is that against dress rules for Be? Should I be digging around in my tack box for a plain browband? (Not worried about the fashion, more the rules!!!)

*confirmed dressage DIVA. God, my typing does not keep up with my brain ;)

EventingMum

Visit site
Aswanley is lovely, the first wee bit is twisty but then opens out, that ditch is near the end heading for home so hopefully you'll be nicely into your stride and forward by then! Dressage and sj have good warm ups and are on flat ground - just over the river from that ditch! Only problems we have had there is one of ours was wired to the moon in the dressage warm up and then as son headed to the furthest arena someone thundered down the oposite bank on the xc and the meltdown was complete!

The barbeque food there is great - great quality steak and burgers so remember to treat yourself. Good luck!

khalswitz

Visit site
Aswanley is lovely, the first wee bit is twisty but then opens out, that ditch is near the end heading for home so hopefully you'll be nicely into your stride and forward by then! Dressage and sj have good warm ups and are on flat ground - just over the river from that ditch! Only problems we have had there is one of ours was wired to the moon in the dressage warm up and then as son headed to the furthest arena someone thundered down the oposite bank on the xc and the meltdown was complete!

The barbeque food there is great - great quality steak and burgers so remember to treat yourself. Good luck!

Sounds good!!! Love me a good burger ;) Will make it all worst it :D

Yeah, one of my friends said she had the same problem at the dressage arena, so I'm trying not to think about that too much... may try and do a double dressage warm up to settle him down if he seems on his toes...